2022 Fair Conference is steaming now

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Area Authority

Re: 2022 Fair Conference is steaming now

Post by Tom »

Speaking about Witnesses, he said the following (rough transcript):
There were negative reviews coming in even before we really had a script. I have a group of ardent fans—maybe the most ardent fans I have—who watch everything I do like hawks. And they were convinced this was going to be—well, first of all, they were convinced that the film would never be made, because I was going to embezzle the funds or maybe had already embezzled the funds.

Or, if there was a film that was going to be made, it was going to be me with a handheld Super-8 movie camera making the movie—which I think if you’ve seen it you know that wasn’t the case. I don’t claim to be an expert filmmaker, but I know some and so we were able to do, I think, a creditable job.

And there were others who would say, well, we know it won’t deal with, and they’d name an issue, a sensitive issue. The failure of the Kirtland Bank. Well, it does.

We know that it will never mention plural marriage. Well, it does.

It won’t mention the Witnesses left the church. Oh, it certainly does. That’s one of the main features of the film, which strengthens the case for the Witnesses.
Later, speaking about the new film, he said:
Now, I must say that the reviews are already starting to come in.

“It’s an anti-Community of Christ film.” The script isn’t even finished.

We’re deliberately leaving out any mention of Joseph Smith III as a possible successor. He was only eleven, you know.

And “it’s divisive by design.”

I love these reviews. It’s so easy, it saves so much time. Just write them as soon as you hear of a film, and you’re ready two or three years later when it comes out. You can turn them in.
Last edited by Tom on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:15 pm
Tom wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:46 pm
I listened to Gary Lawrence's mystifying presentation on "How Comfortable Conversations About the Gift of Agency Lead to Interest in the Gospel."
I’m amused that Dr. Peterson’s recap of Thursday’s presentations makes no mention of Lawrence’s address.
Why would he want to dignify a whacked-out LDS right-wing presentation? Let the Saints merge with Trump on their own time.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I think if Daniel took criticism of the film a little more seriously he might have a chance of actually making art instead of propaganda.

If he’s satisfied with making more Ward Library videos then more power to him. I don’t think the 4K resolution or cinematography automatically elevates it to art - that requires something much more demanding. I’m not sure an organization which defines itself as defending the church from “enemies” can actually produce art.