2022 Fair Conference is steaming now

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: 2022 Fair Conference is steaming now

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:48 pm
I skipped to the end. Smoot just said that the men of Sodom are like Mormons abusing gay members of their wards… what??
Amping up generosity to diminish sexual lust.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Here’s the link to the stream

https://fairlatterdaysaints.org/store/c ... aming-2022

You do have to create an account to view. I would recommend not giving them your real personal details.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“They should have made a documentary about how former members of the Mormon church are violent.”

How to play the victim card 101
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

What a wonderful talk so far!! I can’t wait for it to be uploaded to YouTube so we can discuss it.

FAIRMormon doesn’t deserve such a bright honest young man as this.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:44 pm
What a wonderful talk so far!! I can’t wait for it to be uploaded to YouTube so we can discuss it.

FAIRMormon doesn’t deserve such a bright honest young man as this.

What's going on?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tarik LaCour gave an excellent talk outlining what he thinks are the best arguments for atheism, and the LDS response.

He didn’t go the Dan Peterson role and attack Christopher Hitchens’ book, instead Tarik gave a full honest account of the best atheism philosophers and their position.

He focused on two main points, the problem of evil and the problem of divine hiddenness.

The problem of evil is that a perfectly good and all powerful creator God wouldn’t allow moral and natural evil to exist. Tarik correctly states that Mormon God is so foreign, so limited, so different from the traditional Judeo-Christian God that it acts as an out for this problem. God may not have even created our spirits, so he isn’t responsible for the problem of evil.

He used a similar argument for divine hiddenness.

I think it’s great to have a Mormon acknowledge just how different the Mormon concept of God is. I don’t think many Mormons believe it though. I think many Mormons in everyday life believe God is more like the traditional Christian God, and not so limited. Also, Mormon apologists need to stop using traditional Christian apologetics which assume Mormon God is identical to the standard Christian God.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tarik is a wicked smart and cool person, in my limited experience with him on Facebook. I don’t always agree with him, but he is a formidable thinker and a decent person. That is one FAIR presentation to pay attention to.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:01 pm
Tarik LaCour gave an excellent talk outlining what he thinks are the best arguments for atheism, and the LDS response.

He didn’t go the Dan Peterson role and attack Christopher Hitchens’ book, instead Tarik gave a full honest account of the best atheism philosophers and their position.

He focused on two main points, the problem of evil and the problem of divine hiddenness.

The problem of evil is that a perfectly good and all powerful creator God wouldn’t allow moral and natural evil to exist. Tarik correctly states that Mormon God is so foreign, so limited, so different from the traditional Judeo-Christian God that it acts as an out for this problem. God may not have even created our spirits, so he isn’t responsible for the problem of evil.

He used a similar argument for divine hiddenness.

I think it’s great to have a Mormon acknowledge just how different the Mormon concept of God is. I don’t think many Mormons believe it though. I think many Mormons in everyday life believe God is more like the traditional Christian God, and not so limited. Also, Mormon apologists need to stop using traditional Christian apologetics which assume Mormon God is identical to the standard Christian God.
Thanks for that. I wonder the ramifications in the audience regarding "god didn't even create our spirits" even though it is standard Mormon doctrine. Hinkley even said that the Mormon concept of Jesus is not the same as vanilla christianity.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Wow, Tarik must check both boxes that nobody in the conference checked so far. Pretty cool.

It's tempting to go that route, just say Mormonism doesn't meet classical definitions of God etc., it's a pretty high cost though. For one, the Mormon God can't solve any philosophical problems that God is credited to solving. We still have to wonder what the meaning of it all is, why anything exists, who created God, and etc., which means DCP can't use God (Mormon God) in the way he almost always does on his blog as the fixer of meaning.

Many Mormons will be fine with this as they view Mormonism as a big space opera, Glen Larson really knew how to get mileage out of his upbringing.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:26 pm
Wow, Tarik must check both boxes that nobody in the conference checked so far. Pretty cool.

It's tempting to go that route, just say Mormonism doesn't meet classical definitions of God etc., it's a pretty high cost though. For one, the Mormon God can't solve any philosophical problems that God is credited to solving. We still have to wonder what the meaning of it all is, why anything exists, who created God, and etc., which means DCP can't use God (Mormon God) in the way he almost always does on his blog as the fixer of meaning.

Many Mormons will be fine with this as they view Mormonism as a big space opera, Glen Larson really knew how to get mileage out of his upbringing.
Exactly. Good luck to anyone trying to integrate all of the apologetic responses into one internally consistent whole. We will have a unified theory of gravity and quantum mechanics before that happens.