7 years sex abuse of a child covered up by LDS leaders

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Re: 7 years sex abuse of a child covered up by LDS leaders

Post by tapirrider »

After reading the church's statement of response to the AP article, I think I have seen for the first time a church try to say that local law prevented them from reporting. Way to try to pass the buck, as if a mopologist wrote it.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

A Turner woman is suing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for $9.54 million after her husband's confession to church leaders led to his arrest, conviction and imprisonment on child sexual abuse charges.

Church officials did not respond Tuesday to requests for comment on whether the actions of local leaders were sanctioned by the church.

The man's confession was meant to be confidential, said the family's attorney Bill Brandt. He said local clergy's actions "totally violated church policy."

Johnson, 47, was arrested in 2017 on charges of first-degree sodomy, sexual abuse and unlawful sexual penetration for sexually abusing a girl under the age of 16.

He later pleaded guilty to four counts of second-degree sexual abuse and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Two years later, his wife filed the lawsuit against the church accusing the clergy of breach of fiduciary duty, negligence and interference with prospective economic advantage. Four of his children are also named as plaintiffs.

Brandt said he's not aware of any other case in Oregon involving the breach of clergy confidentiality. He added that many members of the church were "appalled" by the actions of the church leader who allegedly violated this confidentiality and reported the abuse.

Church officials in Utah did not respond to a request for comment on the lawsuit and did not reply to inquiries on how church leaders are instructed to respond to sexual abuse disclosures.

Neither Kirton McConkie nor the Prophets, Seers, and Revelators seem capable of articulating a clear policy on how the LDS church deals with child abuse.

They're probably too busy counting their billions upon billions to be bothered with these trivial little spats. What's a few broken children on the road to the first trillion dollar religion?
MetaProf
Nursery

Post by MetaProf »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:45 am
MetaProf wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:23 am
not that I wanted this to be my inaugural / intro post (I'm a long-time lurker),

https://Twitter.com/jessiejensen/status ... 4177027072
8-)
It was a good intro.
Thanks penguin dude
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Post by tapirrider »

In the Turner woman's case, "The man's confession was meant to be confidential, said the family's attorney Bill Brandt. He said local clergy's actions "totally violated church policy.""
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 832368001/

That case is about the church violating its own policy, but the excuse the church gave in its response to the AP story is "The help line is instrumental in ensuring that all legal requirements for reporting are met."

The excuse seems like a mopologist attempt to answer for Book of Mormon horses, Arizona law has no restriction on what can be shared from private ecclesiastical conversations.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Social media is full of stories posted by former hotline and attorneys involved in processing these cases.

Their sentiments and recollections are entirely sincere, and this should serve as a reminder that the whole tree isn't rotten, even if the deepest roots are a gnarled mess of dogmatic self-deception performed to retain mystical power over believers.

Let's not forget that the layers upon layers of sincere, honest, heartfelt believing members who serve on the front lines of Mormonism. Doing their best. Really doing their best to make a difference. Their work is thoughtful, organized and orderly. It is foolish to attack this problem through the front door.

The church points to these outer layers ad nauseum in articulating why it is not at fault and has no need to apologize for horrific abuse outcomes. It will release statements, slides, videos and stories to show just how sincere the enterprise is. Because the people on the front lines are sincere.

Only by digging deep, into the hidden chambers, can the scope of the problem be brought to light.

I think it will eventually come to light, as it always has with Mormonism, that the highest level of leadership made 1 decision at a time to put the name of the church and priesthood elevation over doing the courageous thing.

As a result, safety structures were not urgently transformed, training has been bare minimum, reporting bare minimum. There is no hotline for members at large, particularly youth and women -- only Bishops/SPs can use it. There is a systemwide failure here and it has nothing to do with Bishops or hotline workers or attorneys. It's the leaders, guiding the pieces in what I believe will be shown to be a conspiratorial breakdown of good faith because they ultimately do care more about preserving the institution, and mystical notions of their priesthood keys, than they care about serving the 1.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MetaProf wrote:
Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:35 pm
The church has responded:
The church posted a link to the statement on its Facebook page, but it turned off all comments.
not that I wanted this to be my inaugural / intro post (I'm a long-time lurker), but relevant to Tom's post is that I replied to the church today on Twitter before they shut down all replies. I (@JXBach) got the only reply in before they deleted and started over, but not before someone screenshotted it. was in a bit of a pissy mood from this AP story.

8-)
Man, what a way to announce yourself! Good stuff.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

This is all the "Church" needs to say, at the pulpit, disseminating the msg through their proxies:

"All reports of serious criminal behavior by members, such as domestic and sexual abuse, will be reported to the authorities. Part of the repentance process will be to face the consequences of their behavior in the legal system in addition to spiritual atonement. We will minister to a member who is convicted in a court of law, and is making amends while serving a sentence, in addition to comforting and helping their victims heal in a safe ad loving manner."

- First Presidency
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MetaProf wrote:
Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:35 pm
The church has responded:
The church posted a link to the statement on its Facebook page, but it turned off all comments.
not that I wanted this to be my inaugural / intro post (I'm a long-time lurker), but relevant to Tom's post is that I replied to the church today on Twitter before they shut down all replies. I (@JXBach) got the only reply in before they deleted and started over, but not before someone screenshotted it. was in a bit of a pissy mood from this AP story.

8-)
Welcome MetaProf. Jessie’s tweet showed up on my feed yesterday and I got a chuckle out of it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:34 pm
This is all the "Church" needs to say, at the pulpit, disseminating the msg through their proxies:

"All reports of serious criminal behavior by members, such as domestic and sexual abuse, will be reported to the authorities. Part of the repentance process will be to face the consequences of their behavior in the legal system in addition to spiritual atonement. We will minister to a member who is convicted in a court of law, and is making amends while serving a sentence, in addition to comforting and helping their victims heal in a safe ad loving manner."

- First Presidency
Sounds good to me. Hopefully this exposes these idiots enough to where something real happens. God cojcolds only changes its policies after a lot of outside pressure.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

A tidy summary for those interested:

Six weeks. Well. I guess we just see what we want to see! Right, MG?

- Doc