7 years sex abuse of a child covered up by LDS leaders

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: 7 years sex abuse of a child covered up by LDS leaders

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 pm
Moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:54 pm
The rules of the Kirton McConkie Fight Club shall be:

1. Don't blab so the abuse can continue.
2. Defend the abuser.
Does this make the Mormon church true or not true?

- Doc
Not sure, but it certainly gives abusers a reprieve.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
malkie
God

Re: 7 years sex abuse of a child covered up by LDS leaders

Post by malkie »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:51 am
Most churches don’t claim that their ecclesiastical structure was set up as it is by God, personally and directly, and that keeping things run just that way is important to God. Even the Catholic Church is vaguer than Mormonism about just how God is supposed to guide the church on Earth.

So other churches are kind of like constitutional monarchies. There can be a loyal opposition because the thing to which people are loyal is not the government of the day but a more abstract ideal. The Mormon church, in contrast, is a presidential system. It doesn’t even seem to be a constitutional presidency, because the living prophet is supposed to override past revelation.

Ongoing revelation and a church structure set up by God are major Mormon selling points. Inherent totalitarianism is simply the flip side of that basic claim to be the one true church. So for Mormonism to allow loyal opposition would seem to be not reform but full-blown revolution.
The concept of Faithful Disagreement is a thing in the Community of Christ. They even have free lessons on how, as a community, they can faithfully disagree:
https://www.heraldhouse.org/products/fa ... f-download

I haven't read the lessons (yet), but I was aware of the acceptance of disagreement within the CoC from talking to members.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!