No Outer Darkness for Bill Reel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: No Outer Darkness for Bill Reel

Post by drumdude »

This is another one of those areas where other religions leave it a mystery, for good reason. Mormonism barges in and tries to define it, poorly. Creating way more problems and questions than they managed to answer.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:15 pm

This has been my go to argument for free will and Divine Hiddenness. That portion of heaven allegedly knew god and his powers and still rebelled. There shouldn't be any reason that miracles shouldn't be happening to everyone. Unless ,god forbid, there isn't a supernatural world.
Yes. Its such a good point. People, apparently, will rebel whether God shows themselves to them or not, or performs miracles or not. ITs a silly thought because I don't know what that would look like. As I said, heaven seems like hell to me. If my failings to accept Mormonism includes my distaste for its description of the after world, then I suppose I'd end up getting what I want, as they say. But then it may not matter at all if God came to me, put his arms around me and said he loved me. I may still be like, "uh...your version of heaven and justice are screwed up, doofus" and thus get myself exiled anyway.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 pm
This is another one of those areas where other religions leave it a mystery, for good reason. Mormonism barges in and tries to define it, poorly. Creating way more problems and questions than they managed to answer.
What religions leave it a mystery? They are try to define it, poorly, if you ask me.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:30 pm
drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 pm
What religions leave it a mystery? They are try to define it, poorly, if you ask me.
Mormonism’s description of heaven is commonly laid out in that giant diagram with arrows pointing everywhere and it’s a mess.

Most Christians just accept that heaven will be whatever it is. Something amorphous like “being close to God.”
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

In related news:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:27 pm
In related news:

Memes say it so much more effectively than words!!! Jesus in those shades is ROCKIN man!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:38 am
Memes say it so much more effectively than words!!! Jesus in those shades is ROCKIN man!
I say he could still use a fatty hanging off of his lip.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:45 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:38 am
I say he could still use a fatty hanging off of his lip.
Oh for blasphemy!!!! :lol: