Reliability of Witness Testimony

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Reliability of Witness Testimony

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:02 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:05 am
We know that eyewitness evidence is unreliable and that juries think that it’s the most reliable type of evidence. And, the defense lawyers can’t inform the jury of that.
Res Ipsa, I would imagine (a question implied here) that a defense lawyer might observe how little familiarity a witness has with the accused and how other people likely have similar appearances.

I think the Book of Mormon witness have different limitation than those a witness identifying a individual in a crime has. For the Book of Mormon witness they simply had no way of knowing if the thing they were shown had the book written on them or if it was from ancient people.
It’s not just eyewitness identification that is unreliable. It’s eyewitness testimony in general.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:39 pm

It’s not just eyewitness identification that is unreliable. It’s eyewitness testimony in general.
Just don't tell feminists that, or they'll eat you alive. :lol:
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
huckelberry wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:02 pm
Res Ipsa, I would imagine (a question implied here) that a defense lawyer might observe how little familiarity a witness has with the accused and how other people likely have similar appearances.

I think the Book of Mormon witness have different limitation than those a witness identifying a individual in a crime has. For the Book of Mormon witness they simply had no way of knowing if the thing they were shown had the book written on them or if it was from ancient people.
Res Ipsa , I can imagine a number of ways in which memory or assessment of witnesses could be misleadingly inaccurate. I was wondering about how much limitation a defense attorney must work with regards pointing that out. Is the attorney limited to pointing to contradictory evidence and leaving the jury to juggle the problem?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:07 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Res Ipsa , I can imagine a number of ways in which memory or assessment of witnesses could be misleadingly inaccurate. I was wondering about how much limitation a defense attorney must work with regards pointing that out. Is the attorney limited to pointing to contradictory evidence and leaving the jury to juggle the problem?
You can refer to contradictory evidence, impeach with contradictory evidence, refer to the age of the recollection, point out conditions at the time that weren’t conducive to accurate observation (like time of day, weather, lighting conditions, length of observation, distractions, etc). You can’t put on expert testimony about the general unreliability of eyewitness testimony.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:35 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:07 pm

You can refer to contradictory evidence, impeach with contradictory evidence, refer to the age of the recollection, point out conditions at the time that weren’t conducive to accurate observation (like time of day, weather, lighting conditions, length of observation, distractions, etc). You can’t put on expert testimony about the general unreliability of eyewitness testimony.
Thankyou for the clarification Res Ipsa. That was what I was wondering about.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:51 pm
Just don't tell feminists that, or they'll eat you alive. : lol:

wtf