The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by Marcus »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:48 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:18 pm

and since Felix is not your uncle, then Uncle Bob is Hebrew. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant and hilarious.
Thank you. Not being a linguist i was hesitant, but upon reading the thread and links this just seemed too good of a joke to pass up. :D
Dr Exiled
God

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by Dr Exiled »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:01 am
As I’ve mentioned already, it’s the preponderance of internal ‘easter eggs’ of one kind or another that lend proof/reason to conditionally accept the story of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon rather than outright reject it.
The Book of Mormon does not need to be an ancient text in order for it to be a remarkable, even miraculous text.
Inspired fiction is where it has to end up. My father is starting to question things in his old age and talks a lot to my Stake President brother. In turn, my brother rebuffs whatever my father says by saying he doesn't care, history doesn't matter basically, that the Book of Mormon spoke to him spiritually and that is enough.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:49 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:01 am

The Book of Mormon does not need to be an ancient text in order for it to be a remarkable, even miraculous text.
Inspired fiction is where it has to end up. My father is starting to question things in his old age and talks a lot to my Stake President brother. In turn, my brother rebuffs whatever my father says by saying he doesn't care, history doesn't matter basically, that the Book of Mormon spoke to him spiritually and that is enough.
He actually has a quite strong point, history does not matter to much of any of it. When we begin from that point, the Book of Mormon becomes much more of a symbology which can have layers of meaning for personal growth, and that, that could very well lead to individual progress, which is why the church in its brainwashing emphasizes the lesser important from the greater. Individuality is where the group begins to lose control, brain control.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

It is necessary that the Book of Mormon have ancient names, whether from the ancient Near East or from ancient Mesoamerica, if the claim that the book is of ancient origin is to ring true.
I’m pretty sure that anyone wishing to present a 19th century production as something much older would have thought of that.
Our work has shown that the names and the foreign words in the Book of Mormon are ancient in origin, whether from ancient Hebrew or some other Semitic language, ancient Egyptian, ancient Mesopotamian (Akkadian or Sumerian), or ancient Greek.
This sounds like a scatter gun approach simply trying to associate the names in The Book of Mormon with known ancient names, regardless of where they were placed anciently.
I believe we have done our homework showing that the names are ancient in origin.
And?
The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon to show that its names are not of ancient origin.
https://www.fromthedesk.org/book-of-mor ... /#comments
Nope. It isn’t. Because it’s irrelevant. What you need to do Brother Ricks, is show that this ancient sounding names weren’t the contribution of a 19th Century author. Have you done that? No? Thought not.
Over the following seven or eight years we met together once a week in the conference room at the Maxwell Institute to discuss a Book of Mormon name or two. By 2017, after hundreds of hours of discussions, I decided that I could monetise our research it was crucially important to make our work available to a wider public, so I began work on preparing the dictionary for publication.
This is just a Mormon Scholar trying to sell a book. It’s not crucial. It’s not even important to anyone other than the tight circle of Nibleyites who will likely need to tie their hands to their bed posts for fear of sinning over this production.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Interestingly, a commenter on Sic Et Non has discovered the contents of the Book are already available for free, here:
https://onoma.lib.byu.edu/index.php/Main_Page
Spencer: "As a novice in the area of linguistics, I am curious as to what sort of overlap there is between the Dictionary and the "Book of Mormon Onomasticon""

This is the Book of Mormon Onomasticon, by the same people, in its latest and most developed form.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... igins.html
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Interesting find. So, they are simply renaming an already published work?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 pm
Interesting find. So, they are simply renaming an already published work?
According to DCP, that’s exactly what they are doing.
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

Funny how Hebrew names in the Book of Mormon are important but the lack of Jewish DNA in native Americans isn't.
master_dc
Star B

Post by master_dc »

How long would we expect names from their homeland to continue in a society that is established by a handful of immigrants that are completely cut off from their previous culture? especially without extensive written history to recall the names from...
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:49 am
I disagree with the use of the word fiction. It doesn’t work because that word is not commonly used of the Bible, which is the Book of Mormon’s generic model.

And there is nothing wrong with your brother’s view, in my opinion.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow