The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by drumdude »

It's 2022 and we still have not found the city of Zarahemla. A city of 100,000 people, larger than Jerusalem in Christ's day. Lost without any shred of evidence. Taken up to heaven like the plates of gold...
Last edited by drumdude on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by Fence Sitter »

As usual it is a pleasure to see Rick Grunder participate in threads like this. I own a copy of his Mormon Parallels which is an incredible work with over 2300 pages long and more than a million words. Since it is not possible for a single person to actually know all those things, apologist are left trying to explain how Rick could have known about all these references from 200 years ago. It's not like he actually lived at that time where he could have simply picked them up from the environment.
Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Post by Rick Grunder »

Fence Sitter: “Since it is not possible for a single person to actually know all those things, apologist are left trying to explain how Rick could have known about all these references from 200 years ago. It's not like he actually lived at that time where he could have simply picked them up from the environment.”

A miracle, no doubt. It’s like another example I shared with Chris Smith seven years ago, trying to make the same kind of point . . .
Three hundred years from now, a wonky scientist (perhaps bored to tears on his third orbit past the dark side of Saturn) is going to dig into his folder of recreational data chips and discover a science-fiction story written by some American high school student in the year 1988 (earth-date-CE). Our theoretical researcher won’t be much of a historian, but he will know that the first permanent extraterrestrial colonization did not commence until 1 April 2092. Yet here was a narrative in a magazine, published more than a century ahead of that event, which described—surprisingly well—theoretical life in outer space.

The mysterious young author had to be brilliant beyond his years (imagines our scientist)—clearly ahead of his time! Living in the nineteen-hundreds, he shouldn’t have known about air locks or gravity simulation or many other developments he recounted so graphically, which would not exist until the modern era. That boy had to be a genius, and he was probably inspired.
Source: http://www.withoutend.org/twenty-fourth ... -parallel/
“I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.”
― Cicero, De Oratore - Book III
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Rick, I also own a copy of MP2014. All 250 MB or whatever it is. It’s a gem for sure!!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 pm
As usual it is a pleasure to see Rick Grunder participate in threads like this. I own a copy of his Mormon Parallels which is an incredible work with over 2300 pages long and more than a million words. Since it is not possible for a single person to actually know all those things, apologist are left trying to explain how Rick could have known about all these references from 200 years ago. It's not like he actually lived at that time where he could have simply picked them up from the environment.
I heard that Mormon Parallels contains ancient names. Some of Hebrew origin.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:16 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 pm
I heard that Mormon Parallels contains ancient names. Some of Hebrew origin.
That makes Rick a pretty old fellow - as in a fellow who is pretty old, but perhaps not an old fellow who is pretty.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:06 pm
All [MG] wants is to get people mad.
That’s actually not true at all.

Unfortunately, that is what happens more often than not.

But that’s on others, not me.

I could mention a few folks who post here whose intent seemingly IS to get folks riled up and veer off into the weeds of innuendo and ad hominem…trying to light unwarranted fires…but I won’t name names.

They are the trolls.

I do understand that there is a protective firewall that surrounds critics here. A critic can get away with saying just about anything.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Rick Grunder wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:08 am
Fence Sitter: “Since it is not possible for a single person to actually know all those things, apologist are left trying to explain how Rick could have known about all these references from 200 years ago. It's not like he actually lived at that time where he could have simply picked them up from the environment.”

A miracle, no doubt. It’s like another example I shared with Chris Smith seven years ago, trying to make the same kind of point . . .
Three hundred years from now, a wonky scientist (perhaps bored to tears on his third orbit past the dark side of Saturn) is going to dig into his folder of recreational data chips and discover a science-fiction story written by some American high school student in the year 1988 (earth-date-CE). Our theoretical researcher won’t be much of a historian, but he will know that the first permanent extraterrestrial colonization did not commence until 1 April 2092. Yet here was a narrative in a magazine, published more than a century ahead of that event, which described—surprisingly well—theoretical life in outer space.

The mysterious young author had to be brilliant beyond his years (imagines our scientist)—clearly ahead of his time! Living in the nineteen-hundreds, he shouldn’t have known about air locks or gravity simulation or many other developments he recounted so graphically, which would not exist until the modern era. That boy had to be a genius, and he was probably inspired.
Source: http://www.withoutend.org/twenty-fourth ... -parallel/
that was a great blog entry, Rick! the Asimov style sci-fi anecdote was perfect, and thank you for the link to your intro, i've started that and I am really enjoying your point of view. You make your argument extremely well.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I agree Marcus, Rick is a legend. I haven't been able to follow this entire thread, have you followed it enough to tell me if MG has responded to any of Rick's posts?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:00 am
I agree Marcus, Rick is a legend. I haven't been able to follow this entire thread, have you followed it enough to tell me if MG has responded to any of Rick's posts?
I can save her a bit of time. Back on page twelve I made a short comment in regards to his link. Towards the end of the page.

I realize he has voluminous material out there.

Regards,
MG