The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by drumdude »

hauslern wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:14 pm
Brian Hales reviewed Visions in a Seer Stone in the Interpreter. https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... eer-stone/

Davis responded in Facebook " Brian Hales wrote a review that is filled with serious misrepresentations of my work. He also has a review on Amazon that is also filled with false information about my book. In the few interactions I've had with him about those issues, he does not understand, nor does he seem to care, that he is spreading false information about my research. I think it's very unfortunate. Because it reflects badly on the journal that published his ideas, and it further reflects poorly on LDS scholarship in general."
Another cockroach in the Mormon ice cream sundae.

Just eat around it, hauslern!
MG 2.0
God

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by MG 2.0 »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:57 pm

So an attack by skeptics on the ancient origins of Book of Mormon names would be a deadly attack on the Book of Mormon if it successfully landed, but it's an attack that isn't hard to deflect. As I read Ricks, he claims to have done that deflecting—no more. He definitely hasn't established that the Book of Mormon itself is ancient—but I don't read him as claiming he has.
I think the work Ricks and others who have written in regards to the historicity issues from an internal text angle are keeping the door open to faith. A poster on this thread recently said that the case is closed on Book of Mormon historicity. When one sees that there are internal consistencies/complexities that more than likely were beyond Joseph’s abilities at the point in time of the Book of Mormon’s translation/publication one is treading upon shaky ground to say that the case is closed on the Book of Mormon.

Years ago when I poured through and read the different stylometry/word print studies and found that there were independent voices throughout the Book of Mormon narrative speaking not as ONE voice, that blew me away. Combine word print studies along with name origins and complex Chiasmus/Hebraisms and you have internal evidence that the Book of Mormon more than the critics would make it out to be.

And at the very least the case is not closed. Critics like to laser point at the ‘flavor of the day’ in apparent anachronism/issues and then call them out as the smoking gun and declare a take down. That’s happened periodically on this board.

Not so fast. 🙂

The match is still ‘game on’. By no means are we at match point.

Forgive my intermixing of wrestling and tennis. 😉

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sorry, MG, but the case really is closed. The Book of Mormon is a fascinating and rich text. I think it is fully worthy of being considered scripture, but it was not written by ancient Hebrew Americans.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I understand why Ricks so carefully puts the challenge to critics as
Stephen D. Ricks wrote:The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon to show that its names are not of ancient origin.
Because he's envisioned this chart

But he's missing the fact that this chart is also true for a historical fraud

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:14 pm
Years ago when I poured through and read the different stylometry/word print studies and found that there were independent voices throughout the Book of Mormon narrative speaking not as ONE voice, that blew me away. Combine word print studies along with name origins and complex Chiasmus/Hebraisms and you have internal evidence that the Book of Mormon more than the critics would make it out to be.
We all have cognitive biases. Why not send the analysis to non-LDS academics for review? Multiple authors wouldn't prove Mormon's book is true, so it shouldn't be a problem for non-LDS academics to review the "compelling" evidence. After all, I bet you could find many non-LDS academics who would be interested in analyzing your studies. Don't be like the Bigfoot scientists.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Post by Rick Grunder »

Regarding the Zoramites' land which they called "Antionum," IHAQ kindly responds, "Wowzer! Have the Mopologists got a good answer for that specific anachronism?"

There is so much out there to explore that the two sides rarely take (decaffeinated) tea in the same parlor.

I don't honestly have an answer to that question, but I have a number of rare contemporary items I've picked up over the years which I need to explore and catalog on this subject of "Antinomian" as discussed in Joseph Smith's world. One of the entries I published on the subject in 2008 and later is available for free download here:

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp131.pdf

Rick
“I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.”
― Cicero, De Oratore - Book III
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:19 pm
Sorry, MG, but the case really is closed. The Book of Mormon is a fascinating and rich text. I think it is fully worthy of being considered scripture, but it was not written by ancient Hebrew Americans.
I understand that you and others believe this to be the case. For what it’s worth, I agree that the Nephites, Jaredites, and Lamanites wouldn’t have considered themselves Americans. 😉

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:22 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:14 pm
We all have cognitive biases. Why not send the analysis to non-LDS academics for review? Multiple authors wouldn't prove Mormon's book is true, so it shouldn't be a problem for non-LDS academics to review the "compelling" evidence. After all, I bet you could find many non-LDS academics who would be interested in analyzing your studies. Don't be like the Bigfoot scientists.
The Berkeley group was composed of nonLDS folks.

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/evi ... _of_Mormon

Also peer reviewed.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:35 pm
I understand that you and others believe this to be the case. For what it’s worth, I agree that the Nephites, Jaredites, and Lamanites wouldn’t have considered themselves Americans. 😉

Regards,
MG
It's fine for you to believe what you like, but you don't get to fabricate history and expect others to agree with you. The evidence for an ancient Book of Mormon is so lacking, and the evidence for 19th century composition is so great, that the case is effectively closed. I don't see how anyone turns that around. There simply is too much evidence for 19th century composition. Moreover, I am done with "alternative facts." There are facts, and we should do our best to become familiar with them, accept them, and live in accordance with them.

The date of the Book of Mormon is not something that is simply a matter of personal ideological point of view. Real civilizations populated the Americas before the Europeans arrived. They had a real past, and we are unjust toward them when we maintain that their history is something other than the facts indicate. We are especially unjust toward them when we insist that their history is something that a 19th century European wrote for them. The only way around this problem, in my opinion, is to own up to the fact that the Book of Mormon is NOT a record of ancient Americans.

I see this as being somewhat akin to Genesis NOT being the history of ancient proto-Hebrews. It is one thing for Jews to mistakenly see it as such--no historian worth their salt would agree with them--but it would be another for non-Jewish people to insist, against the agency of Jews, that the collection of facts and meanings of the Jewish historical past derive transparently from the history reported in that text. That would be false, absurd, offensive, and unjust. The Book of Mormon has the further burden of being a story that a white man of European background wrote based on his own culture's myths about First Nations peoples.

If a First Nations person chooses voluntarily to embrace the Book of Mormon as their truth, that is one thing. What is false, absurd, offensive, and unjust is modern non-First Nations peoples insisting that the Book of Mormon is the history of those people, when it is absolutely not the case. The best way to work with that bad situation is to acknowledge that the Book of Mormon is not ancient. And that works, because the book was not written anciently. It was written in the 19th century, as the preponderance of the evidence clearly shows.

This is not just a matter of what "I believe." There is no compelling case to make that the Book of Mormon is ancient, there is a compelling case to be made that the Book of Mormon is a 19th century text, and therefore it is not ancient but a 19th century text.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Rick Grunder wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:34 pm
Regarding the Zoramites' land which they called "Antionum," IHAQ kindly responds, "Wowzer! Have the Mopologists got a good answer for that specific anachronism?"

There is so much out there to explore that the two sides rarely take (decaffeinated) tea in the same parlor.

I don't honestly have an answer to that question, but I have a number of rare contemporary items I've picked up over the years which I need to explore and catalog on this subject of "Antinomian" as discussed in Joseph Smith's world. One of the entries I published on the subject in 2008 and later is available for free download here:

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp131.pdf

Rick
Thanks for sharing you wonderful research with us, Rick. You are a real treasure!