The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by Kishkumen »

So because they can search for words and names that appear similar, we are to simply conclude they certainly are of ancient origin? Names are derived from other names or words, over time. Mosiah would have appeared among the people of Nephi hundreds of years after they separated themselves from Jerusalem and its environs. Hundreds of years after they ran from Hebrew speaking people. No, the connection isn't made. It remains a possibility that Mosiah comes from this Hebrew word. I would question whether they can show any names or words in the Book of Mormon that connect directly with ancient words or names. Showing any of the names derive from ancient words is not as easy as showing they could possibly link. Showing any given name in the Book of Mormon looks like an ancient word can be interesting. But it doesn't mean any of the names or words are derived from those ancient words and names. Its possible. But possible doesn't become probable just because. That bridge still has to be constructed.
Indeed.

It’s like Joseph Smith had no access to any ancient names (Bible, cough) and could not create new combinations or mine them from various sources. Uh . . .

The book is written specifically to appear ancient, just as the Late War was written in the Biblical style. It is not at all surprising that Smith’s attempt to sound ancient were relatively successful.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Re: The burden is now upon those who deny the ancient origins of the Book of Mormon

Post by Rick Grunder »

The Book of Mormon’s lack of names beginning with F is consistent with Walker’s Dictionary of that era. See page 1820 of . . .

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp453.pdf

For additional background on that contemporary family reference work, here is more information which will one day become part of my Mormon Parallels Supplement. It shows that Oliver Cowdery turned at least once to this work in 1829 . . .

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/Washington ... ey1823.pdf
“I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.”
― Cicero, De Oratore - Book III
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:25 pm

did you read the link in the opening post?
Towards the end of the link we read:

In speaking about C. S. Lewis as a Christian apologist, the theologian Austin Farrer observed:

“Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish.”

Austin Farrer, “The Christian Apologist,” in Light on C. S. Lewis, ed. Jocelyn Gibb [New York: Harcourt, Brace, and World, 1965], 26.
With regard to the Book of Mormon the same principle holds: this dictionary provides evidence for names in the Book of Mormon as being ancient in origin. Those who believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God will see this dictionary as a confirmation that the book is ancient and true.

This dictionary provides an environment in which belief may flourish. For those who have not previously dealt seriously with the Book of Mormon, it is an invitation to consider its claims. To those who deny and oppose the Book of Mormon as an historically authentic ancient document, it is a challenge to show that it is not ancient—a task these deniers may find truly daunting, since many of them have little or no language experience outside of English.
As I’ve mentioned already, it’s the preponderance of internal ‘easter eggs’ of one kind or another that lend proof/reason to conditionally accept the story of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon rather than outright reject it.

There is a good and worthwhile conversation going on in this thread. What I am saying might be seen as a derail so I will continue to read the thread without further interruption unless I am asked a relevant question which deserves an answer or see something in which I might have something worthwhile to say without interrupting the flow.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:48 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:25 pm

did you read the link in the opening post?
... What I am saying might be seen as a derail...
Apparently my post motivated you to read the link, so that's a plus. moving on...
Rick Grunder wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:09 pm
The Book of Mormon’s lack of names beginning with F is consistent with Walker’s Dictionary of that era. See page 1820 of . . .

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp453.pdf

For additional background on that contemporary family reference work, here is more information which will one day become part of my Mormon Parallels Supplement. It shows that Oliver Cowdery turned at least once to this work in 1829 . . .

http://www.rickgrunder.com/parallels/Washington ... ey1823.pdf
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG is correct that we should consider the preponderance of the evidence. How would the Book of Mormon fare at a trial? With 12 impartial jurors?

There’s a reason Interpreter is an island alone with no secular input or validation on its articles. It’s because the impartial academic community would never accept their “homework” as being anything other than a vast series of F’s.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I wonder how many books contain words or names that have ancient origins? All? Some? How big a vin diagram can we draw? Language has been developing for quite some time and so the diagram has to be huge. What does this mean for the theory when all or most books have names with ancient origin?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

It is almost as if apologists cannot grasp that an author of fiction can also include ancient language names without meaning the book has to be of ancient origin... :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:23 pm

What I’m saying is that if, along with other internal evidences of the Book of Mormon’s antiquity, the names show linguistic connections with the Old World then we have multiple internal ‘easter eggs’ that I wouldn’t expect to be there if Joseph Smith, with his education and background, attempted to write the Book of Mormon on his own within the constraints that he was living/operating under and for the audience he was addressing.
Did you know Peterson said the Church could be false?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

This dictionary provides an environment in which belief may flourish. For those who have not previously dealt seriously with the Book of Mormon, it is an invitation to consider its claims. To those who deny and oppose the Book of Mormon as an historically authentic ancient document, it is a challenge to show that it is not ancient—a task these deniers may find truly daunting, since many of them have little or no language experience outside of English.
There is nothing to deny or oppose, since nothing has been established. You can posture all you like on this issue, but no responsible person should accept as historical anything on the basis that these apologists propose. They damage, or at least attempt to undermine, the critical faculties of their readers every time they try to seduce them to accept a 19th century English text as the work of an ancient Hebrew civilization in the Americas with the paltry evidence they have gathered.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

As I’ve mentioned already, it’s the preponderance of internal ‘easter eggs’ of one kind or another that lend proof/reason to conditionally accept the story of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon rather than outright reject it.
The Book of Mormon does not need to be an ancient text in order for it to be a remarkable, even miraculous text.