Master Timeline of Mopologetics, Second Edition

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Master Timeline of Mopologetics, Second Edition

Post by Binger »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:50 pm
Binger wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:45 am
How did this particular apologetic art get so widespread?
My musing is that it may be because this particular apologetic is incredibly visual, and easy to "see" and digest.

I don't know about other areas, but even into the early twenty-teens, I would see H. Clay Gorton's "A New Witness for Christ..." on the shelves at Deseret Book. Even GA authored books didn't enjoy the shelf-life of Gorton's, and it was usually on the eye-catching shelves, and not relegated to the back corners where Nibley's life works, and FARMS papers were found.
Fascinating. I am looking forward to learning more about this.

I see Scratch’s comparison to LGT but really, in my own experience and observation, Chiasmus rose above the Hinckley readers digest version of Mormon excuses and also above the New Testament works like Jesus the Christ. It is like the Pete Rose of apologetics.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:07 pm
Shulem wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:36 pm
For your consideration:

I hesitated to say anything earlier because I didn't want to self-aggrandize but maybe you should consider that the discovery of Anubis's missing nose happened right here on Discuss Mormonism, live, and members here helped me with details of that discovery. Discussion followed along with other threads about this important feature. Within minutes Philo Sofee was there to participate and relish the sensational find! Yeah baby!! So far (almost 5 years) to my knowledge the Church and its Egyptologists have made no public mention of the obvious implications of this important discovery.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:08 pm A few questions for Shulem
May I credit you under your in real life name, or would you prefer Shulem?

How about you do BOTH!! :P

Discuss Mormonism is really the main place I've hung out all these many years other than the old MAD board and ZLMB. So, it's fitting that my real name be tagged with my Discuss Mormonism name.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:27 pm
Masterful work, Reverend Kishkumen. You mentioned Kevin Graham switching sides; should there be a reference to Kerry Shirts switching sides as well?

I think there should be a reference to the original Mormon Discussions founded by our beloved Dr. Shades (Mon Oct 23, 2006 ) who has provided a venue whereby we have been able to freely flesh out so much material over the years.

Here's to Dr. Shades! For He's a Jolly Good Fellow!

:lol:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:31 pm

I think there should be a reference to the original Mormon Discussions founded by our beloved Dr. Shades (Mon Oct 23, 2006 ) who has provided a venue whereby we have been able to freely flesh out so much material over the years.

Here's to Dr. Shades! For He's a Jolly Good Fellow!

:lol:
It was on the timeline, but Dr. Shades' role is now recognized as well. Thanks!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:18 pm
How about you do BOTH!! :P

Discuss Mormonism is really the main place I've hung out all these many years other than the old MAD board and ZLMB. So, it's fitting that my real name be tagged with my Discuss Mormonism name.
Agreed, but it was up to you to make that decision. Thanks!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I just learned that The World Table has ceased operations: https://worldtable.co/

In announcing The World Table in 2013, Dr. Peterson said, “The World Table is a platform for a kind of new apologetics.”
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 am
I just learned that The World Table has ceased operations: https://worldtable.co/

In announcing The World Table in 2013, Dr. Peterson said, “The World Table is a platform for a kind of new apologetics.”
He wasn’t wrong. With its rating system, it provided a whole new level of transparency on Mopologetics’s effectiveness and popularity. As I recall, Dr. Peterson and Russell McGregor had the lowest ratings by far on the site. Of course, this was before the site administrators began demanding credit card statements as proof of identity.

Whatever else it accomplished, The World Table proved in a decisive way that Mopologetics cannot function in a free market. The Mopologists cannot point to a single instance where their ideas have survived scrutiny in a public way.
Last edited by Doctor Scratch on Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
I knew you first at Beliefnet, so that should also rate a mention.

If I remember right, Kevin Graham switched sides and hosted a board before the appearance of the first Shades board.
[/quote]
It was fun to read Dr. Peterson's lengthy intro to the World Table and have him end it by saying, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
Last edited by Moksha on Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:40 am
Shulem wrote:

If I remember right, Kevin Graham switched sides and hosted a board before the appearance of the first Shades board.
Yes: it was called “Critical Thinkers Renaissance.” DCP had at least a couple of sock puppets as I recall.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:40 am
Shulem wrote:

Yes, that was one of my pit stops long ago and the long apologetic discussion I had about Facsimile No. 2 and the Egyptian sun-god was a real run-around. I have to admit that in the end, I lost the argument and was astounded that I was unable to produce parallels and excuses in which to back up what I was saying. I actually lost that argument although my opponents did not know enough to nail me and hang me out to dry.

But that was quite a discussion! Looking back on it all now I realize that apologetics really is a dead end street. Why? Because the Book of Abraham is not true. I know that now, absolutely, as sure as I know that I live and breathe. I have a sure knowledge of that!