Master Timeline of Mopologetics, Second Edition

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Master Timeline of Mopologetics, Second Edition

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 am
I have to admit that in the end, I lost the argument and was astounded that I was unable to produce parallels and excuses in which to back up what I was saying. I actually lost that argument although my opponents did not know enough to nail me and hang me out to dry.
Your opponents Kebecer and the ladies from Wisconsin and Wyoming were very polite, even when they had you on the ropes you kept on swinging like a true believer. I think it was the Book of Abraham itself that let you down, not your grit and determination. You guys kept that thread going for over a thousand posts.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:35 am
Whatever else it accomplished, The World Table proved in a decisive way that Mopologetics cannot function in a free market. The Mopologists cannot point to a single instance where their ideas have survived scrutiny in a public way.
QFT
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 am
I just learned that The World Table has ceased operations: https://worldtable.co/

In announcing The World Table in 2013, Dr. Peterson said, “The World Table is a platform for a kind of new apologetics.”
Does anyone have a date for its demise?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:35 am
Tom wrote:
I just learned that The World Table has ceased operations: https://worldtable.co/

In announcing The World Table in 2013, Dr. Peterson said, “The World Table is a platform for a kind of new apologetics.”
He wasn’t wrong. With its rating system, it provided a whole new level of transparency on Mopologetics’s effectiveness and popularity. As I recall, Dr. Peterson and Russell McGregor had the lowest ratings by far on the site. Of course, this was before the site administrators began demanding credit card statements as proof of identity.

Whatever else it accomplished, The World Table proved in a decisive way that Mopologetics cannot function in a free market. The Mopologists cannot point to a single instance where their ideas have survived scrutiny in a public way.
I participated at TWT for several months. My rating was always substantially higher than the Mopologists. DCP and Kiwi57 were incapable of acting civil.

Also, in addition to providing a scan of one of my utility bills, I also had to provide my cell phone number. TWT was hilarious. I’m sad to see it go.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:36 am
I participated at TWT for several months. My rating was always substantially higher than the Mopologists. DCP and Kiwi57 were incapable of acting civil.

Also, in addition to providing a scan of one of my utility bills, I also had to provide my cell phone number. TWT was hilarious. I’m sad to see it go.
I'm impressed that you participated in that forum. It sounded like a horrible idea to me, and I never even started the process of signing up. I am in awe of your dedication, Everybody Wang Chung.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:57 pm
I think it was a recent development. The Salt Lake Tribune used the services of this LDS-run company up to the time the Tribune limited internet access to paying customers.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:40 am
I knew you first at Beliefnet, so that should also rate a mention.
I was on Beliefnet too. I definitely remember you being there. I remember Ironhold and Kebecer too. Sometimes I wonder what happened to Ironhold.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:40 am
I knew you first at Beliefnet, so that should also rate a mention.
I was on Beliefnet too. Different moniker, different life. I definitely remember you being there. I remember Ironhold and Kebecer too.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:57 pm
Tom wrote:

I don't. I was alerted to the news by a note on Public Square ("Due to World Table going out of business, our comment feature is not currently available"). Internet Archive has an archived World Table home page dated March 12, 2022.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:16 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:36 am

I'm impressed that you participated in that forum. It sounded like a horrible idea to me, and I never even started the process of signing up. I am in awe of your dedication, Everybody Wang Chung.
I did the same thing Kish... I just watched it. From the gloating Peterson did about how open and wonderful and superior quality conversations that were going to take place there, I was rolling my eyes, so I just watched. And true to form, the Mopologists got mopped up.