The Church is Selling Off Chapel Properties at an Alarming Rate

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Craig Paxton
Sunbeam

The Church is Selling Off Chapel Properties at an Alarming Rate

Post by Craig Paxton »

Full Disclosure, I live in Ogden, Utah. I just learned this week that 2 large LDS Chapels are being sold to the highest bidder. One property at 2nd Street and Adams Avenue and another Ward house on 7th and Jefferson Avenue has also been sold and preparing to be raised to make way for a large apartment building.

What surprises me is that both of these buildings are in great shape and have been in regular use up until this year by wards in the area. Granted this part of Ogden is an older part of town, made up of newly weds and nearly dead's but still, this is a major withdraw of the church from a once thriving core population of Mormonism.

I've got to believe that this trend is being seen across the Wasatch front and throughout the entire church as more and more folks withdraw from active weekly participation in the church...but never in my wildest dreams could I ever imagine my witnessing the churches decline like it has in my own lifetime.
Last edited by Craig Paxton on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
consiglieri
Prophet

Re: The Church is Selling Off Chapel Properties at an Alarming Rate

Post by consiglieri »

Why would a church be selling meeting houses while skyrocketing temple construction?

Something seems off…
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Temple construction raises tithing revenues in the areas where construction is taking place and probably throughout the church generally. Meetinghouses not so much. They can be sold for needed revenues to feed the soon to be $1 Trillion Fund.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Do you think they will celebrate when the church finally hits the 1 trillion mark? It’s obviously something the church keeps a close eye on, it’s not like the money grows unnoticed.

Yet the church also doesn’t want the public to have any clue how much money they have. So they don’t get criticized for having too much. It will be a momentous achievement that they can’t celebrate publicly.

Do you think it’ll be a quiet pizza party in the Holy of Holies?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:31 pm
Do you think they will celebrate when the church finally hits the 1 trillion mark? It’s obviously something the church keeps a close eye on, it’s not like the money grows unnoticed.

Yet the church also doesn’t want the public to have any clue how much money they have. So they don’t get criticized for having too much. It will be a momentous achievement that they can’t celebrate publicly.

Do you think it’ll be a quiet pizza party in the Holy of Holies?
They'll go to some private island or some place out of the way and live it up for a few days.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Perhaps consolidating assets before moving into the mega-vault fortress on Tonga.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 pm
Why would a church be selling meeting houses while skyrocketing temple construction?

Something seems off…
Why would a real estate company be selling off some off some of its land bank?

Craig, are these properties in prime residential development areas?
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Are the buildings single story structures on land that can be developed with a mid-rise or high-rise?
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:29 am
consiglieri wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 pm

Something seems off…

I heard that my stake center where I was raised is up for sale. The house we lived in was purchased for $30,000.00 in 1964 and is now worth $1.2 million so yes, it is in a prime residential area.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:04 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:29 am

I heard that my stake center where I was raised is up for sale. The house we lived in was purchased for $30,000.00 in 1964 and is now worth $1.2 million so yes, it is in a prime residential area.
When speculating on the Church’s actions I’ve found it’s always worth considering the financial impact of their decisions. It usually brings clarity to the “why” of anything.