Marines over a Mission

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Marines over a Mission

Post by Dr. Shades »

DrW wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:57 am
I chose military service instead of a mission. At that age, I was more comfortable with the idea of being a Marine, and possibly a Marine aviator, than being a guy in a suit and hat knocking on the doors of strangers who would rather that I didn't.
You could've done both. I did.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:42 pm
DrW wrote:
I chose military service instead of a mission. At that age, I was more comfortable with the idea of being a Marine, and possibly a Marine aviator, than being a guy in a suit and hat knocking on the doors of strangers who would rather that I didn't.
Did you read the OP? He's glad he DIDN'T do a mission.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:27 pm
. The way it sounds, though, nearly a third are going home early. That is a crisis situation and bespeaks a broken system.
No doubt that there are more missionaries returning home early than previously. That doesn’t mean the system is broken. It does mean that there are other factors at play.

I also think that there has been a general sea change in expectations that ALL young men serve missions. There isn’t quite the stigma nowadays if a young person decides not to serve in this manner.

I have a brother that years ago returned early and then went on to become a Bishop.

We loved him before he became a Bishop. 🙂

And after.

Regards,
MG
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
DrW wrote:
Ha! I don't know about DrW, but military service changed my view of the world enough that a mission wasn't a reasonable option afterward.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Kishkumen wrote:
. The way it sounds, though, nearly a third are going home early. That is a crisis situation and bespeaks a broken system.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:57 pm
No doubt that there are more missionaries returning home early than previously. That doesn’t mean the system is broken.
What percentage of missionaries coming home early would signal that the system was broken? What if it were 50%?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:15 am
Dr. Shades wrote:

Ha! I don't know about DrW, but military service changed my view of the world enough that a mission wasn't a reasonable option afterward.
That’s an interesting comment. Care to elaborate a bit?

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:21 am
Kishkumen wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:
No doubt that there are more missionaries returning home early than previously. That doesn’t mean the system is broken.
What percentage of missionaries coming home early would signal that the system was broken? What if it were 50%?
I don’t think ‘the system’ will break down. The Lord has put it in place. He gave the commandment. The gospel will go throughout the earth. Technology will play a part, but boots on the ground are part of the system/program.

Have faith, brother!

Regards,
MG
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Morley wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:21 am
Kishkumen wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Is the system broken or is it just that the problems/history of the church are out there for all to see?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Morley wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:36 pm
I was a staff sergeant in Pleiku, rather than a missionary in São Paulo. Like you, DrW, I've never regretted my choice.
Hey Morely,

Why am I not surprised? (That bit of personal information explains a lot about the quality of your contributions to the board - at least to me.)

Below is the text of a message from a colleague who retired from the Army as a LtCol. He and I were friends at our first meeting, having both had our service lives revolve around M48 series main battle tanks (Yes - we are both Old Corps.).

We have been in the trenches of business together for more than a decade. Referring to my comments about the important role of senior NCOs in watching out for and training new second lieutenants in ground force operations, he wrote back:

You are absolutely correct. I still remember my first Platoon Sergeant, Sergeant Speakman, who was old Army and had been running the Platoon without an officer for over 6 months.

I was a brand new 2nd Lt, in Armor, but assigned to a straight-leg infantry battalion, because Vietnam caused a shortage of Infantry Lieutenants.

So, I report to the Platoon and I can read SGT Speakman's mind. --"Not only do they send me a brand new Shavetail but one who's not even Infantry".

So he calls me aside and says. "Look Lieutenant, this is your platoon now and I'll listen to what you say, but if you listen to me I'll make you the best Platoon leader in this battalion. I won't correct you or embarrass you in front of the men but I will be behind you every step of the way, either way. It's your call Lieutenant."

Well, I took his advice and when I left Korea, we did have the best Platoon in the Battalion and won the division competition. In fact, I became the Battalion Commander's favorite Platoon Leader. But it wasn't my doing, it was that Old Army Platoon Sergeant, who after about four months, told me. "Ok, L.T. you're ready now."

That was over 50 years ago and I still have his picture. Great Observation DrW, and so true. Thanks for reminding me, it brought back some great memories.

That story well captures the contribution of senior NCOs. A retired Army one-star general in our group related a similar young officer-senior NCO interaction story to us a few years ago.

So, a well-earned salute to you, Morley. The step up in responsibility and force impact from E5 to E6 is a significant one.

As we who follow the Ukraine conflict know, one of the main reasons that the Russians are getting their posteriors handed to them in the field, and losing so many senior commissioned officers (14 general rank officers last I counted), is that their NCO Corps has been hollowed out over time due to low pay, poor training, and non-retention, resulting from rampant corruption.

They have little or no effective small unit leadership. They are becoming an organization of generals and colonels leading a force of poorly trained and equipped conscripts. I predict here and now that the lack of effective NCO leadership, coupled with deteriorating logistics support, will cost the Russians their advances in Eastern and Southern Ukraine, and eventually Crimea.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:07 pm
Did you read the opening post? He's glad he DIDN'T do a mission.
Yes, but at the time he made the decision it sounds like he thought it was either/or.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024