How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

Post by MG 2.0 »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:54 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:49 pm

What difference would ‘pure knowledge’
Haven't you read the story of Elijah and the Priests of Baal? Or the story Nephi and the murder trial?

God likes to show off sometimes according to the scriptures.

Nice try MG.
Those two examples purportedly happened in ancient times. The plates purportedly existed in a far different world.

Modernity.

See the difference? Does it make a difference?

I think it does.

Think about it.

Regards,
MG
Symmachus
Valiant A

Re: How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

Post by Symmachus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:49 pm
I would ask the question: How would the World at Large be different IF the plates had not been taken back by Moroni? The plates had been taken and put on display in the Smithsonian and also accessible to scholars to handle and peruse the caractors. The world at large knew of and understood the significance of the plates.

Let’s assume, for the moment, that the plates were real and delivered to Joseph Smith for translation. If your childhood dreams of being able to see and handle the plates had come true, how would your world have been different? If you were to have the plates shown to you by an angel NOW as an adult what difference would that make in your life?
The short version of my reply is that "faith" is a non sequitur here.

I think you're reading me as lamenting the absence of something, and you're interpreting it as one of the "doubting Thomas" narratives that you get in Church. I wasn't demanding proof or asking for evidence due to a preternatural skepticism. I'm talking about something slightly different. It's not that I had big dreams of seeing the plates and then those dreams went unfulfilled; it's that the Church put on big productions showcasing the Book of Mormon as real, put out story books, made life-size dioramas of the characters in the stories, and had replicas of the plates, all of this an attempt to say "this really happened." I simply assumed that it did so happen and this was all real, so I treated it like any other real thing. I don't have faith about real things (no one does); I just take them as given (everyone does).

It was only as I was told, basically, that I all that reality is not accessible that a sense of distance set in. Distance, I say, not disbelief. That reaction was totally natural, and I'm sure even strong believers have had it at some point. But it is not unlike the reaction that a child has to the Santa Claus myth on being told the store Santa Claus is just a helper, or whatever, and you can't meet the real one, even though, rest assured, he is real: what had felt immediate and real is now interrupted. Contrast this with the Joseph Smith story, which was also part of the pageant and part of the Mormon tour during pageant season: you see his farm, you see the Whitmer place, etc. I didn't need to see those things in order to believe in Joseph Smith as prophet; I was there to see them because I already believed that. However, if I had gone to the visitor's center and been told, "well, we don't know where the farm is, or where Palmyra truly is, and we don't have anything actually connected to Joseph Smith here; you just need to have faith that it is in western New York," it would have introduced that odd feeling, as well. It's not that I needed to see the farm (or needed to see the plates); it's that things that are real don't need justifications. They don't need faith. To make a claim about the real, empirically testable world of the kind that the Church used to claim (perhaps still does) for Book of Mormon historicity and to do it with the intensity and certainty that it did/does is to invite a natural curiosity about those realia. If the response to that curiosity is "well, you can't see any of this—but don't worry it's totally real, as real as anything else—you just need to have faith," you are going to invite some severe and much deserved skepticism. At the very least, because the burden has been placed on me to determine the reality of the thing, I will have to use my experience and my reason to arrive at a conclusion to that question. I would say that by high school I had concluded, based on my experience, that the odds of a sub-literate farmhand on the American frontier finding the record of an ancient civilization inscribed on golden tablets, and in his own backyard of all places, had to be very low. It is absurd, in fact. I have no problem with anyone who chooses to believe an absurdity, but I don't see why I should. In any case, my point is that this is a unique problem for Mormonism: how to make a claim about the real world—and a very large claim at that, and not about a spiritual world—without introducing this sense of distance from the real world when the particulars of the claim are always just one step (or many) beyond the real world.

Contrast that with traditional Christianity: it's faith in an event involving something beyond ordinary experience that does not set itself up for verification. It doesn't even invite verification. The degree of belief in historicity of the Bible story is a huge spectrum, not an either or. A believing Christian can never verify whether Jesus has saved humanity through his death or whether he is consubstantial with god or merely coeval. It is precisely because you cannot verify such claims that they are the subject of faith in the Christian sense, it seems to me. Whether he was born in Nazareth or Judea has no bearing on the issue either. But the claims about the Book of Mormon are subject to verification because they are claims about the ordinary world that we live, not the spiritual realm.
Let’s make a second assumption, just for fun. Let’s say that for some reason(s) or another this thing we call faith is a necessary condition in mortality. How would faith operate and/or be made manifest/increase/decrease in your life if an angel had shown you the plates?
I don't mean to be rude by not engaging in this speculation. I didn't need an angel then and don't need one now. This is bit like asking if I would believe in Santa Claus if he flew into my driveway on a magic sled driven by reindeer. Well, that is what I would expect him to do if he were real (if not my driveway, somewhere visible). This idea that faith means believing in something disprovable about the real world is a Mormon innovation, I think. I don't think very many Church Fathers, medieval philosophers, or modern theologians would see it that way. As I recall, St Paul (or rather a follower of his) says that faith is the conviction of things unseen—but not of things disproven or disprovable.
But the fact is, you would have carried that memory with you. What difference would that have made?

What difference would ‘pure knowledge’ have as you then went on to navigate life without faith in regards to the plates having been delivered by an angel sent by God? Yep, the REAL God with the flowy beard/robe. Knowledge is always a good thing, right?
Well, I have carried a lot memories with me. I don't put any significance into that; I just offer it is but one example of what I'm talking about. I will just recapitulate that it wasn't that I was looking for physical proof/knowledge. If someone tells me there is cherry cheesecake in the fridge, I will go to the fridge to open not because I am testing their claim and seek knowledge about the existence of cherry cheesecake but because I want to eat it. If I open it and it is not there, naturally I wouldn't understand what faith has to do with it. It's just not there. And likely to believe that person to the same degree the next time they tell me something I want to hear.
(who/whom)

"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."
—B. Redd McConkie
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

The religious magician misdirects in order for the illusion to work. Then faith, or rules against questioning the given orthodoxy, is demanded to quiet the questioner and preserve belief in the emperor's new clothes. The plates could not be seen except in a way where Joseph Smith controlled the experience, where Joseph Smith controlled the witnesses, because it was an illusion. He needed to control the experience precisely because it was an illusion. Questioning, therefore, was forbidden and only "faith" or gullibility was allowed, otherwise don't even ask to be a witness. It was a hoax plain an simple, duping the credulous. Perhaps he had a pious reason as Vogel posits, at least some of the time, but is was a hoax nonetheless.

I remember in Utah growing up, there was this illusionist named Vandermied. He was a hypnotist and he came to my high school several times. Finally I was able to get on stage and then the selection of the gullible started. Vandermied quietly questioned each subject and quickly determined who was susceptible to hypnotism and who was not. I was kicked off immediately, :cry:

Anyway, I believed in the Book of Mormon as I had what I thought was a spiritual experience with it, actually several. However, upon reflection, after studying a little bit of social psychology and Milligram and Festinger, I realized that I was mistaken in my "spiritual" experience. Group pressure is strong and makes us do things that we ordinarily wouldn't do. It makes us more susceptible to the illusionist
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Symmachus wrote: In any case, my point is that this is a unique problem for Mormonism: how to make a claim about the real world—and a very large claim at that, and not about a spiritual world—without introducing this sense of distance from the real world when the particulars of the claim are always just one step (or many) beyond the real world.
Again I think this is a great point. Mormonism isn't the only church like this, as an easy example, Scientology is similar because of the no-nonsense hands-on approaches they take with auditing to remote viewing, to manipulating mass, energy, space, and time with their minds. It's generally a different modality of literalism, but your essential point about distance I believe holds, because many Scientologists when working up to the higher levels feel that "distance" when the carefully guarded secret of the next run is revealed and fails to deliver in the tangible way advertised. Moving ahead is a matter of sunk costs and compartmenting. Mormonism may have one or two direct parallels. You may get called for the Second Anointing one day, but then the ordinance comes and goes, but no personal visit by Jesus Christ as you'd always understood it. Hell, what about UFO tours with Stephen Greer that promise interactions with spaceships but end up with everyone locking hands, closing their eyes, and feeling the presence spiritually?

I think there are tradeoffs with these kinds of religions. Sure, it sounds like a big liability and in one sense it is, but the literalism, the hope of real mysterious unfolding in the here and now is what attracts people in the first place.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Symmachus wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:56 am
I would say that by high school I had concluded, based on my experience, that the odds of a sub-literate farmhand on the American frontier finding the record of an ancient civilization inscribed on golden tablets, and in his own backyard of all places, had to be very low. It is absurd, in fact.
You say based upon your experience. What experience?

Do you still think/believe that Joseph Smith was a sub-literate farmhand that wrote the Book of Mormon? These days how do you explain the Book of Mormon?

To me, it seems as though from the very outset you were inclined to disbelieve in that which could not be proven/seen through physicality or evidence in the immediately accessible world or what was observably left behind and could be shown to have existed, and that faith was an anomaly/roadblock which got in the way of knowing.

Am I close?
Symmachus wrote:
I have no problem with anyone who chooses to believe an absurdity, but I don't see why I should.
So an absurdity is defined as something that because of its remoteness to the world as you understand/know it or others define it, is foreign, or an outlier, to accepted and/or reasonable consideration and/or belief?

Is that close?
Symmachus wrote:
In any case, my point is that this is a unique problem for Mormonism: how to make a claim about the real world—and a very large claim at that, and not about a spiritual world—without introducing this sense of distance from the real world when the particulars of the claim are always just one step (or many) beyond the real world.
OK. I get that, I think. But then, unless I’m misunderstanding, you said that faith is a non sequitur. How is that so? It seems directly applicable to the plates and Joseph’s story as to how they were obtained and accessed for translation. Yes, the plates are no longer accessible…remote and unseen… but the Book of Mormon readily available to handle and read its contents.

If Joseph was indeed this illiterate farmboy as you describe, how did he create this book?

It is an act of faith to take him at his word that the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God. Faith IS the crux of the matter. Faith can’t be pulled out of the equation in this instance or others where God is seemingly taking a position in the background remotely and unseen.

The problem we have and critics harp on it, is that because, say in the instance of Scientology, the ‘stringing along’ dynamics exist to the outside observer, that it’s one and the same for practicing members of the LDS Church. Religionists are all placed in the same boat.

As a believer in the exclusivity of the CofJCofLDS I’m not sure how to navigate around this conundrum. To the outsider or critic/disbeliever it is natural and reasonable to put all religionists into the same boat of unreasonable superstition.

Regards,
MG
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:27 pm
To me, it seems as though from the very outset you were inclined to disbelieve in that which could not be proven/seen through physicality or evidence in the immediately accessible world or what was observably left behind and could be shown to have existed, and that faith was an anomaly/roadblock which got in the way of knowing.
If Joseph was indeed this illiterate farmboy as you describe, how did he create this book?
It is an act of faith to take him at his word that the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God. Faith IS the crux of the matter. Faith can’t be pulled out of the equation in this instance or others where God is seemingly taking a position in the background remotely and unseen.
1. This way of thinking comes in handy when faced with investment fraud schemes and the like. Being too trusting can lead to wasted time and money.

2. A great percentage is just reworked Bible passages and some outright copying. Add in "it came to pass" a bunch of times and some mound builder myth and voila. Also, there was a long time in between the end of the rock and the hat show and when they sent it to be published. Oliver Cowdery and Hyrum Smith could have helped with the final version during that time. Further, it was edited after the first publication and so it was a work in progress. And it really isn't that remarkable.

3. "Faith" should mean "unreasonable trust in people who are guessing but speak with confidence about their guesses or use pressure to gain conformity" in this instance. Don't forget, the church, missionaries, parents and family use group pressure to get people to manufacture the supposed "spiritual" experiences or do like we did on our missions and grab whatever good feeling the investigator had and conveniently interpret that for them as the answer to their prayers.
Last edited by Dr Exiled on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

I presume that the above post is misformatted, and was intended to contains three quote from MG 2.0, set in a main text by Dr Exiled commenting on the quotes.

Read that way it makes good sense.

In particular, as a person soaked in the King James translation of the Bible by upbringing and also by my own taste, when I read the Book of Mormon I certainly felt at once that it was in large part "reworked Bible passages and some outright copying", as Dr Exiled says. To be honest, I found that quite offensive, even though i had ceased to be a Christian theist by the time I read it.

I still have to ask myself how anyone can ever have been taken in by this stuff. Presumably, for those brought up as LDS who meet the Book of Mormon before they read the Bible, the fact that the Book of Mormon talks about "the coming of Christ" and so on (supposedly) well before the time of the New Testament only adds to its credentials as a sacred text.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Symmachus wrote: ↑Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:56 pm
In any case, my point is that this is a unique problem for Mormonism: how to make a claim about the real world—and a very large claim at that, and not about a spiritual world—without introducing this sense of distance from the real world when the particulars of the claim are always just one step (or many) beyond the real world.
OK. I get that, I think. But then, unless I’m misunderstanding, you said that faith is a non sequitur. How is that so? It seems directly applicable to the plates and Joseph’s story as to how they were obtained and accessed for translation. Yes, the plates are no longer accessible…remote and unseen… but the Book of Mormon readily available to handle and read its contents.

This line of reasoning from symmachus is really interesting. The response I emphasized with bolding reminds me of a recent experience online. My SO is into birding, and this summer we have been watching the story unfold as the dept of fish and wildlife is holding hearings to determine whether the Ivory-billed Woodpecker should be officially ruled extinct. The battle is more fierce than you would expect, if you aren't a birder!

In a Facebook group dedicated to the cause of fighting the IBWO status change, people regularly post their opinions, pro and con, about various possible sightings. One memorable poster gave a very convincing story, with many details, about how she has repeatedly seen one in her yard, which is located in a very rural area not far from where the last sightings of the bird were documented about 80 years ago.

She then said she had pictures and would post them. people were very excited and encouraged her to do so, asap! Finally the pictures went up, to the confusion of the group members. One person politely posted, "I'm not seeing any birds in your pictures, just background. Are you sure these are the correct photos?"

The woman wrote back, "oh no, these are the right pictures. They show the location where the bird was when I saw it..."

the existence of the Book of Mormon Smith wrote is not evidence of any plates.
Last edited by Marcus on Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Chap wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:20 pm
I presume that the above post is misformatted, and was intended to contains three quote from MG 2.0, set in a main text by Dr Exiled commenting on the quotes.

Read that way it makes good sense.

In particular, as a person soaked in the King James translation of the Bible by upbringing and also by my own taste, when I read the Book of Mormon I certainly felt at once that it was in large part "reworked Bible passages and some outright copying", as Dr Exiled says. To be honest, I found that quite offensive, even though i had ceased to be a Christian theist by the time I read it.

I still have to ask myself how anyone can ever have been taken in by this stuff. Presumably, for those brought up as LDS who meet the Book of Mormon before they read the Bible, the fact that the Book of Mormon talks about "the coming of Christ" and so on (supposedly) well before the time of the New Testament only adds to its credentials as a sacred text.
Just fixed it.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:00 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:54 pm

Haven't you read the story of Elijah and the Priests of Baal? Or the story Nephi and the murder trial?

God likes to show off sometimes according to the scriptures.

Nice try MG.
Those two examples purportedly happened in ancient times. The plates purportedly existed in a far different world.
a far different world with a different god :lol:

The God of the ancient world impregnated 12-year-old Mary.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: