How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:36 pm
The woman wrote back, "oh no, these are the right pictures. They show the location where the bird was when I saw it..."

the existence of the Book of Mormon Smith wrote is not evidence of any plates.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonderful!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
malkie
God

Re: How long/intensely did you believe in the historicity of the Book of Mormon?

Post by malkie »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:27 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:00 am
Those two examples purportedly happened in ancient times. The plates purportedly existed in a far different world.
a far different world with a different god :lol:

The God of the ancient world impregnated 12-year-old Mary.
And, according to what I was taught at church, the God of the ancient world who impregnated 12-year-old Mary is just like Jesus of the New Testament and the Book of Mormon, and of the First Vision - if you have seen me, you have seen the father.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

malkie wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:16 am
doubtingthomas wrote:

And, according to what I was taught at church, the God of the ancient world who impregnated 12-year-old Mary is just like Jesus of the New Testament and the Book of Mormon, and of the First Vision - if you have seen me, you have seen the father.
Presentism at play.

Regards,
MG
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Book of Mormon creation in William Davis video:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dmB ... cCgjo/edit
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:58 pm

A great percentage [of the Book of Mormon] is just reworked Bible passages and some outright copying. Add in "it came to pass" a bunch of times and some mound builder myth and voila.
Yep, it was that simple.😉
Dr Exiled wrote:
Also, there was a long time in between the end of the rock and the hat show and when they sent it to be published.
How many alterations were made before the manuscript was sent to the printer? What was the length of time between those changes to the original manuscript and the final printer’s manuscript?
Dr Exiled wrote:
Oliver Cowdery and Hyrum Smith could have helped with the final version during that time.
https://criticaltext.byustudies.byu.edu ... ook-Mormon

Not sure why that would matter? Oliver was involved. But then again, he was involved in most of the process.
Dr Exiled wrote:
[The Book of Mormon] really isn't that remarkable.
I beg to differ. But to each his own.

Regards,
MG
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Hmm, that Marcus story really is a dead hit. Someone should hand it out on a pamphlet to people arriving back east for their church history tour.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:08 am
Presentism at play.

Regards,
MG
Out of curiosity, do you believe this happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbss9lGyNlg

Maybe the resurrection is already happening.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:08 am
malkie wrote:

Presentism at play.

Regards,
MG
Please explain what "presentism" has to do with what I wrote?

Are all events not "in the present" for those involved?

Are all these manifestations not the same person, or one just like him?

Is your god not unchangeable? Always the same, from everlasting to everlasting?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

malkie wrote:
doubtingthomas wrote:

I sometimes wonder why Jesus said, "Let the children come to me".
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:28 am
Dr Exiled wrote:

A great percentage [of the Book of Mormon] is just reworked Bible passages and some outright copying. Add in "it came to pass" a bunch of times and some mound builder myth and voila.
Yep, it was that simple.😉
Dr Exiled wrote:
Also, there was a long time in between the end of the rock and the hat show and when they sent it to be published.
How many alterations were made before the manuscript was sent to the printer? What was the length of time between those changes to the original manuscript and the final printer’s manuscript?
Dr Exiled wrote:
Oliver Cowdery and Hyrum Smith could have helped with the final version during that time.
https://criticaltext.byustudies.byu.edu ... ook-Mormon

Not sure why that would matter? Oliver was involved. But then again, he was involved in most of the process.
Dr Exiled wrote:
[The Book of Mormon] really isn't that remarkable.
I beg to differ. But to each his own.

Regards,
MG
You and your fellow apologists act like it would have been impossible to write the Book of Mormon without some miracle. The thing is that people write books all the time. Looking at it skeptically as one should with any miraculous claim, the Book of Mormon simply doesn't stand up as anything but a 19th century invention. Also, it doesn't help your cause that there isn't any evidence that the story actually happened.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.