Creepy Jesus

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Creepy Jesus

Post by Kishkumen »

Why not? But your amusement prompted me to ask how the natural functions of an infant incarnate deity could (for believers, from which include me out) be the object of serious reflection.
And your serious reflection was very nicely written!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:18 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 pm
And I thought our being saved by faith was a process of sharing Jesus's life of living by faith.

You're talking about the Christian religion. I'm talking about Mormonism run by men. Mormonism teaches you are saved by works after all you can do. Mormon faith cannot save you unless it's accompanied by works as prescribed by the elders of the Church. If you don't do enough or what they tell you to do, then faith is vain and Mormon Jesus won't save you. Mormon Jesus has no grace. He's a bloody tyrant, man. You work like hell to get into his kingdom or you don't get in. It's as simple as that.

Would you like to be a Mormon?
Why haven’t you come over to the other side? If you haven’t already, that is.

I get newsletters from Truth in Love Ministry https://tilm.org and in one, a LDS said something to the effect that he or she didn’t like Christmas because it was always a reminder that he/she could never measure up to Jesus’ example.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:52 pm

Well that's nice of you to suggest but I have no interest in Christianity as expressed in the Bible and have a very unfavorable attitude towards blood atonement and sacrifice whether it be that of man or animals. I'm afraid the lust for blood and suffering of the biblical god is about the biggest turnoff I can imagine. I want no part of that, thank you. My concept of God is very different then what's expressed in the Bible. I want nothing to do with organized religion.

I'm sure you understand.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:14 pm
msnobody wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:52 pm

Well that's nice of you to suggest but I have no interest in Christianity as expressed in the Bible and have a very unfavorable attitude towards blood atonement and sacrifice whether it be that of man or animals. I'm afraid the lust for blood and suffering of the biblical god is about the biggest turnoff I can imagine. I want no part of that, thank you. My concept of God is very different then what's expressed in the Bible. I want nothing to do with organized religion.

I'm sure you understand.
Thanks for your reply. I do understand. Sometimes, I too, wonder why he did it that way.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:20 am
Rivendale wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:16 pm
Are robes the most efficient clothing for god maneuverability or are they mainly for asthetics?
In Book of Mormonlands, the armor was made out of obsidian. Most likely Hugh Nibley made this discovery.

For Mormon artists, it is a quandary over whether to dress God in the traditional priesthood attire of a dark suit, white shirt, and tie, or to dress him in robes as portrayed by the gentiles.
Suits would provide less wind resistance when traveling subsonic across the oceans to appear in the Americas. However the cleaning aspect from the deceleration and bug debris might be an issue. And then there is the collar ring that is tough to get out. Cufflinks might provide shrapnel to early Christian missionaries and lets not get started if he lost his Breitling Navitimer 01 during transcontinental travel.