Creepy Jesus

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Creepy Jesus

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:35 pm
shulem,
why the choice of this rather unpleasant photograph?

Mother Mary had to change his diapers or what ever they called those things in those days. Is that creepy? I am not sure just what is pointed to as creepy. Is this a taste or style sort of judgement?
Poopy diaper Jesus. Wow. Gross.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
shulem,

Mother Mary had to change his diapers or what ever they called those things in those days. Is that creepy? I am not sure just what is pointed to as creepy. Is this a taste or style sort of judgement?

Tramping about Israel of foot in sparkling white robe?

Huck,

The photo just so happens to be showcased (today) on the front page of the Church website just below the Church logo. It represents the risen Lord for a talk entitled "He Is Risen with Healing in His Wings" by a member of the Presidency of the Seventy. So, as you may well gather, this is not a photo of mortal Jesus trampling about Jerusalem looking for new disciples. It's Mormon Jesus suited up in his best white linens having ironed pleats that show off his hairy chest.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:36 pm
huckelberry wrote:
shulem,

Poopy diaper Jesus. Wow. Gross.
Well, when I believed in this stuff I found it instructive to meditate on what it meant for the creator and sustainer of everything to fully take on human nature, including the limitations of childhood, and before that early infancy.

The hymn "In the bleak midwinter" tries to approach the implications of that through pointing to what are almost contradictions in a limitless and glorious being voluntarily becoming helpless, utterly dependent and limited to what a baby's brain can comprehend, and what a baby can express through its inarticulate cries and gurgles. And needing someone to feed him, and to keep him clean and dry. Although the hymn does not mention the last bit directly, any parent will think of that amongst all the rest, and will remember that one's own child is unexpectedly not disgusting at all in its needs in that respect. The astonishing humility and condescension - why would he undergo that for us? Why did he need to do that? That was one of those things where no discursive answer seemed remotely adequate.

But hey ho! It's all just a story after all. And in some ways not at all a nice story in the end.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Is that creepy? I am not sure just what is pointed to as creepy.
Is "Let the little children come to me" (Matthew 19:14) creepy?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

And I thought our being saved by faith was a process of sharing Jesus's life of living by faith.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 pm
And I thought our being saved by faith was a process of sharing Jesus's life of living by faith.

You're talking about the Christian religion. I'm talking about Mormonism run by men. Mormonism teaches you are saved by works after all you can do. Mormon faith cannot save you unless it's accompanied by works as prescribed by the elders of the Church. If you don't do enough or what they tell you to do, then faith is vain and Mormon Jesus won't save you. Mormon Jesus has no grace. He's a bloody tyrant, man. You work like hell to get into his kingdom or you don't get in. It's as simple as that.

Would you like to be a Mormon?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Chap wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:15 pm
Well, when I believed in this stuff I found it instructive to meditate on what it meant for the creator and sustainer of everything to fully take on human nature, including the limitations of childhood, and before that early infancy.

The hymn "In the bleak midwinter" tries to approach the implications of that through pointing to what are almost contradictions in a limitless and glorious being voluntarily becoming helpless, utterly dependent and limited to what a baby's brain can comprehend, and what a baby can express through its inarticulate cries and gurgles. And needing someone to feed him, and to keep him clean and dry. Although the hymn does not mention the last bit directly, any parent will think of that amongst all the rest, and will remember that one's own child is unexpectedly not disgusting at all in its needs in that respect. The astonishing humility and condescension - why would he undergo that for us? Why did he need to do that? That was one of those things where no discursive answer seemed remotely adequate.

But hey ho! It's all just a story after all. And in some ways not at all a nice story in the end.
I was having a little lighthearted fun. That’s all.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

on his back, bare feet up in the air kicking about. watch out for a surprise fountain.

I was feeling appreciative of Chaps comment.

I have not seen much point in the Jesus thing if he is not fully human with all of the human limitations to struggle with.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Rivendale wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:16 pm
Are robes the most efficient clothing for god maneuverability or are they mainly for asthetics?
In Book of Mormonlands, the armor was made out of obsidian. Most likely Hugh Nibley made this discovery.

For Mormon artists, it is a quandary over whether to dress God in the traditional priesthood attire of a dark suit, white shirt, and tie, or to dress him in robes as portrayed by the gentiles.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:33 am
Chap wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:15 pm

I was having a little lighthearted fun. That’s all.
Why not? But your amusement prompted me to ask how the natural functions of an infant incarnate deity could (for believers, from which include me out) be the object of serious reflection.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.