Busy Beaver

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Busy Beaver

Post by doubtingthomas »

I think most Christians (LDS and non-LDS) would probably agree God can't create a rock so heavy he could not lift. God can't count to infinity. God can't be evil. God can't do many things.

My question for Christians. Can God compute BB (10^100)?
https://www.scottaaronson.com/papers/bb.pdf
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Busy Beaver

Post by Dr Moore »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:22 am
I think most Christians (LDS and non-LDS) would probably agree God can't create a rock so heavy he could not lift. God can't count to infinity. God can't be evil. God can't do many things.

Fun to discover new computational math adventures. I got only a taste before moving on to the banal, confined real world of engineering sciences.

Anyway, I used to imagine our experience with God as the projection of a multi dimensional being onto our 4d space time. For all we know, in God’s 17 dimensions, BB (10^100) is as trivial as 2+2 for us.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:30 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:22 am

Fun to discover new computational math adventures. I got only a taste before moving on to the banal, confined real world of engineering sciences.

Anyway, I used to imagine our experience with God as the projection of a multi dimensional being onto our 4d space time. For all we know, in God’s 17 dimensions, BB (10^100) is as trivial as 2+2 for us.
One of my favorites. https://old.reddit.com/r/AskPhysics/com ... aced_so_a/
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Moore wrote:

Fun to discover new computational math adventures.
Yes, it's fun stuff.
Dr Moore wrote:
Nice! In the end, real-world engineering is what matters.
Dr Moore wrote:
For all we know, in God’s 17 dimensions, BB (10^100) is as trivial as 2+2 for us.
I see. BB (6) is already way bigger than the observable universe (in any sense), the universe is effectively zero compared to BB (6). So I guess God would need an infinite number of universes and dimensions to easily compute BB(10^100)?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:41 am
I see. BB (6) is already way bigger than the observable universe (in any sense), the universe is effectively zero compared to BB (6). So I guess God would need an infinite number of universes and dimensions to easily compute BB(10^100)?
Interesting. I don’t know how to think about this because this BB counting metric is new for me. I guess the notion I once had, unburdened by facts and hard analysis, was a sort of super extension of our physics, informed by odd characteristics in certain higher dimensions in string theory, eg Kalabi Yau spaces. Why couldn’t it be true that a supreme being lives within a physics that makes the entirety of our own, including the real number line with its infinitely boggling mysteries, appear as child’s play and a handful of 17 dimensional reductionist celestial rules? (the 17 is just illustrative, pulled from thin air, and plus it’s one of my favorite primes) I mean, such notions are no less rational than the notion of God in the first place. Neither is it any more irrational than simulation theory of our existence.

Anyway. Huge number theory is sure fascinating. Believe it was Knuth (LaTeX and the computer basics series guy) who invented a nifty shorthand notation for extremely large numbers. I once learned how that works, but the numbers were too big for practical use and so predictably I forgot the specifics as quickly as I learned them.