God is evil, or likes it, or enjoys it whatever

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

God is evil, or likes it, or enjoys it whatever

Post by dastardly stem »

I'd suppose if there were a God as often defined by people of faith in our western world, he'd have to enjoy pain and suffering that we mortals go through. And I suppose as poorly defined as he often is--a description of nothing and yet everything all at once--he may also enjoy some of the joys some people get to experience as well. After all if we take the God who is worshipped by the many millions, the guy in the Bible, he's not only a God who forgives sin for at least some, he's also the one who commands and inspires war, including the murder and rape of many. He's the pissy guy who ignores many believers for being the type that "builds their house on sand" and yet he is also the guy who condemns those who think it good practice to steer clear of prostitutes and sinners. He's the kind one who wants to fix a few, but he's also the infinitely angry one whose always ready to condemn anyone who doesn't believe.

These days though, believers prefer the God who loves everyone and in discussing his possibility they ignore the teachings in the Bible or the traditional beliefs about him. As it turns out the best way to convince another of him is to get others to picture the best thing ever and imagine he's the only possible source of the good things in your mind. But this newer description of God makes me wonder what it is we must imagine. After all people still suffer. I suppose we must conclude if there is a great and magnificent one, better than all else, loving and kind to the nth degree, he doesn't care much if people suffer mortally. He may or may not bless them later. And to him, our little existence here must not mean much. It's a mere blip on the radar of our eternal existences. ANd yet, somehow we've convinced ourselves we must believe in him. We must do what he wants now, else he'll ruin us forever.

Doesn't an imagined God, assumed by most, suggest a level of selfishness or narcissism? I don't mean to be condemning per se, but it was the type of thought that sent me reeling on the matter. I don't see why the idea is a good one. I suppose if there is a God and he continues to go to extensive effort to hide himself from us, then it feels better to me to live in the mindset he's not really there. I suppose in a pascal wager type of way, as looney as that reasoning is, it may condemn us eternally. But if he's really good, isn't it better to work for good now, then to hope for a reward later? The latter feels like a selfish move, the former not so much.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
MG 2.0
God

Re: God is evil, or likes it, or enjoys it whatever

Post by MG 2.0 »

Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.”
Mosiah 4:9
The way I see it is IF a creator God exists it’s of little or no value and serves no purpose to question His ways. You’ll just go around in circles and/or go down a whole lot of rabbit holes. Of course the trick is trying to pick THE creator God out of all the many gods men have created through eons of time.

Regards,
MG
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Hi Stem,

I don't know if you've ever seen any of the vids from "Mr. Deity" (I believe he's actually an ex-Mormon), but his vid on the problem of evil is fantastic.

YouTube Link
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Given Mormonism what did God create, MG? Did he create the earth? the Universe and everything in it? Or does he exist in the universe and works within that realm?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

The most honest Mopologetic reflection I ever read was Jim Bennett. I believe this was on Facebook somewhere, years back. He said, in essence, Is God a jerk? I feel like God must be a real jerk for all of the reasons above.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:26 pm
Hi Stem,

I don't know if you've ever seen any of the vids from "Mr. Deity" (I believe he's actually an ex-Mormon), but his vid on the problem of evil is fantastic.

YouTube Link
That was fantastic. And thanks...never heard of him.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:18 pm
You’ll just go around in circles and/or go down a whole lot of rabbit holes.
What do you mean by "go down"? :shock:
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The way I see it is IF a creator God exists it’s of little or no value and serves no purpose to question His ways.
Why? Why does the technical ability create something assure that a creator is good?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:30 pm
... then it feels better to me to live in the mindset he's not really there. I suppose in a pascal wager type of way, as looney as that reasoning is, it may condemn us eternally. But if he's really good, isn't it better to work for good now, then to hope for a reward later? The latter feels like a selfish move, the former not so much.......
Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live.
dastardly stem, your wager is what I view as my fundamental religious belief.

It is also what I get out of the Bible though that book has been interpreted in a variety of ways and has some military ideals.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:35 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:26 pm
Hi Stem,

YouTube Link
That was fantastic. And thanks...never heard of him.
Deity tried to get them syndicated and they said it just wouldn't work. If you want a real treat listen to his absolute demolition of Mormonism found here. https://mormonstories.org/podcast/383-m ... s-harrell/