God is evil, or likes it, or enjoys it whatever

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: God is evil, or likes it, or enjoys it whatever

Post by High Spy »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:30 pm
Given Mormonism what did God create, MG? Did he create the earth? the Universe and everything in it? Or does he exist in the universe and works within that realm?
The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost created all things that were created, but things exist that weren't created. 🐳 CBNC
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Given Mormonism what did God create, MG? Did he create the earth? the Universe and everything in it? Or does he exist in the universe and works within that realm?
I’m not privy to the details of creation. What I do know is that I exist.

So the question is “Why something (me) rather than nothing? A creator God intuitively makes sense in my mind.

That’s what is important. Because…here I am! 😉

The devil can often be in the details and keep us from simple faith.

Not to say that trying to look behind the curtain of ‘origins’ isn’t fun. 🙂

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 am
dastardly stem wrote:

So the question is “Why something (me) rather than nothing? A creator God intuitively makes sense in my mind.

Regards,
MG
Of course it makes sense to you. It’s the product of biases in the way the brain operates. Those biases explain why you just assume there’s a why involved at all. Brains have a strong bias toward reading intention into even random events. And they love simple explanations. So, it’s natural for a brain to look around the world or the universe and think that someone must have intended this to exist.

It just makes sense is probably the worst way to figure out whether a God created the universe, as all you are relying on is pure bias.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 am
dastardly stem wrote:

Regards,
MG
What Res Ipsa said and....Yes individuals have a desire to believe in God. It makes sense because not only is it beat into them since childhood but because it feels better. If God loves you, and perhaps ignores and doesn't love another. That, apparently, feels good. You know god loves you instead of, say, the poor child who dies after suffering his short life diseased, because you feel that some great being is paying particular attention to you and gives you good feelings when you contemplate yourself in relation to such an imagined character. One problem I have with your position is it focuses on what you want and what you hope for. It depends completely on unseeable events inside you. That others create the same environment for selfish belief, may seem like more reason to believe to you...but again, all I see is individuals exalting themselves in their own personal thoughts and hopes. If God is there and he is happily playing the game you wish he is playing, I can't help but see him as a great disappointment.

Instead it makes far more sense to me, that you, as do many others, prefer to feel blessed by an imagined character who really isn't. And seeing there is no to very little reason to believe there's a God other than the testimony of individuals who really want him to be, it seems far more reasonable to think he isn't really there. I suppose if I'm wrong and there is a God, my greatest hope would be He's not what other people keep telling me He is. And I suppose if I'm wrong and he wishes to send me to a lesser place than his favored, or his elite, I suppose I'd have to delight in that place away from Him. He sounds completely unpleasant. But if he is there and is quite different than you imagine, I don't feel all that concerned or worried. I'll stick with what's reasonable.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos