God is evil, or likes it, or enjoys it whatever

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: God is evil, or likes it, or enjoys it whatever

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:01 pm
If intelligences are co-eternal I often wondered how one intelligence got more intelligent than another. After all, they are both eternal. Sounds like a rigged game.
All intelligences are equal but some are more equal than others.

Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:10 pm
Rivendale wrote:
If intelligences are co-eternal I often wondered how one intelligence got more intelligent than another. After all, they are both eternal. Sounds like a rigged game.
All intelligences are equal but some are more equal than others.

Orwellian intelligences.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm

I take this scripture literally when it says that we cannot comprehend all the things which God can comprehend. To the best of my knowledge mankind has not been able to decipher the workings and creation of all things. Theories, yes. Big Bang? It’s now being questioned by cosmologists.

At one time it was String Theory. Now it’s multiple and/or parallel universes. And that’s being shown to have problems.

And you want me to answer your questions?

The only thing I’m willing to go out on a limb and say is that we, you and I, are part of the family of God. We are in a sense, His offspring. And that this is all that REALLY matters. If we get hung up on stuff we are not able to comprehend…as MANY have…we can lose sight of those things that matter. What matters is if a creator God exists. Period. And if so, does He have a plan? And is He able to implement and reveal that plan in whole or in parts to His ‘family’ members that have lived or will live on earth in which we are concerned with?

I’m of the opinion that you may be asking the wrong questions. You may find yourself ever learning and never coming to a knowledge of the truth that God HAS revealed and that we CAN comprehend.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation.

Regards,
MG
Yes, I suppose if you are prone to take any idea, or belief you really want to be true as a presupposition you have a point. If God is thinking, "you must believe" but then also likes the idea of keeping himself hidden from us, or too mysterious for us to discover, then that too only supports the points I've already raised. What a weenie he must be. Of course to take the passage as you do and suggest that means we can't possibly question anything about God seems silly. And to think since we can't quite comprehend all things as he does, it must follow that any logical or reasonable attempt to decide if he's really there is only going to lead people astray also doubles up on the points I've raised.

The problem you have here, MG, is whether there's a God or not, you are stuck believing in him.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Rivendale wrote:

Some spent their eternity learning while others spent it goofing off?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:47 pm
Go on a date with a member of the same sex? IMMEDIATELY EXCOMMUNICATED.

**** your kid? GUESS WE’LL TAKE TWO YEARS TO FIGURE THIS MYSTERY OUT!

Hey, “Kevin”. You wanna explain how your ‘true’ organization is true again? Also, given your fixation on preserving “good things”, you wanna explain how the church’s history with child rape can’t seem to figure this one out?

- Doc

Well, at least the cult has figured out online donations, you know, the real priority here:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/too ... s?lang=eng

Amazing. Can’t quite figure out what to do with men who **** their kids, an ongoing problem since the beginning, but damn if they haven’t solved making tithes super easy to do. Glad to see where they’re laser-focused, these men who PRESERVE GOOD THINGS.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:30 pm

Yes, I suppose if you are prone to take any idea, or belief you really want to be true as a presupposition you have a point.
But I’m not.
dastardly stem wrote:
If God is thinking, "you must believe"
But He isn’t.
dastardly stem wrote:
[God] likes the idea of keeping himself hidden from us.
But on the other hand he doesn’t. We have to seek Him.
dastardly stem wrote:
[God] is too mysterious for us to discover.
I think that people all around the world get glimpses of God. What is discovered may be a little or a lot. But even at that, God remains unknown to us in His fullness.

He may have His reasons for that. And who am I to tell Him how little or how much he reveals Himself to one individual or another and/or for what purpose?
dastardly stem wrote:
What a weenie [God] must be.
Well, if ya’ gonna call Him names like that He might leave you to your own devices. 😄
dastardly stem wrote:
Of course to take the passage as you do and suggest that means we can't possibly question anything about God seems silly.
Whoever said we can’t speculate about God? Doesn’t change whatever the truth may be, however. Watch the documentary on Britbox called “Around the World In 80 Religions” to get a flavor of how many interpretive frameworks folks have come up with as they have speculated as to what god is. People can be VERY creative.
dastardly stem wrote:
And to think since we can't quite comprehend all things as he does, it must follow that any logical or reasonable attempt to decide if he's really there is only going to lead people astray also doubles up on the points I've raised.
Personally, I think the only way mankind can have even a chance of understanding God in greater measure/fullness is if He reveals Himself to some degree or another. All other methods of trying to figure things out may lead to half truths or something less.
dastardly stem wrote:
The problem you have here, MG, is whether there's a God or not, you are stuck believing in him.
No. I’m not.

If I believed that there wasn’t a good chance, even a large probability, that there is a creator God, I wouldn’t waste my time with the whole ‘belief enterprise’.

As I said earlier, Faith is not always easy. And in my opinion, the greater the prize/reward, the greater the sacrifice and hard work necessary to “prove ourselves” to be worthy of greater revelation/understanding of the true nature of God. And I might add, of His Son also.

I believe God doesn’t hand Himself to us on a silver platter. We always have to be seeking greater understanding and knowledge to obtain the greater light. People can, I believe, get stuck in place during that process.

Faith is not the faint of heart. I think this is one of the reasons so many people lose their faith. Fainting along the way for one reason or another. But the faint of heart can be revived. I’ve experienced this to one degree or another multiple times along the way.

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm
Rivendale wrote:

Some spent their eternity learning while others spent it goofing off?
That is almost worse. If someone spends eternity goofing off and subsequently spends a finite mortal life and then becomes exalted. Simultaneously someone who spent eternity learning spends their finite time in disbelief goes to hell/outer darkness. That sucks.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:12 pm
dastardly stem wrote:

Yes, I suppose if you are prone to take any idea, or belief you really want to be true as a presupposition you have a point.
But I’m not.
dastardly stem wrote:
If God is thinking, "you must believe"
But He isn’t.
dastardly stem wrote:
[God] likes the idea of keeping himself hidden from us.
But on the other hand he doesn’t. We have to seek Him.
dastardly stem wrote:
[God] is too mysterious for us to discover.
I think that people all around the world get glimpses of God. What is discovered may be a little or a lot. But even at that, God remains unknown to us in His fullness.

He may have His reasons for that. And who am I to tell Him how little or how much he reveals Himself to one individual or another and/or for what purpose?
dastardly stem wrote:
What a weenie [God] must be.
Well, if ya’ gonna call Him names like that He might leave you to your own devices. 😄
dastardly stem wrote:
Of course to take the passage as you do and suggest that means we can't possibly question anything about God seems silly.
Whoever said we can’t speculate about God? Doesn’t change whatever the truth may be, however. Watch the documentary on Britbox called “Around the World In 80 Religions” to get a flavor of how many interpretive frameworks folks have come up with as they have speculated as to what god is. People can be VERY creative.
dastardly stem wrote:
And to think since we can't quite comprehend all things as he does, it must follow that any logical or reasonable attempt to decide if he's really there is only going to lead people astray also doubles up on the points I've raised.
Personally, I think the only way mankind can have even a chance of understanding God in greater measure/fullness is if He reveals Himself to some degree or another. All other methods of trying to figure things out may lead to half truths or something less.
dastardly stem wrote:
No. I’m not.

If I believed that there wasn’t a good chance, even a large probability, that there is a creator God, I wouldn’t waste my time with the whole ‘belief enterprise’.

As I said earlier, Faith is not always easy. And in my opinion, the greater the prize/reward, the greater the sacrifice and hard work necessary to “prove ourselves” to be worthy of greater revelation/understanding of the true nature of God. And I might add, of His Son also.

I believe God doesn’t hand Himself to us on a silver platter. We always have to be seeking greater understanding and knowledge to obtain the greater light. People can, I believe, get stuck in place during that process.

Faith is not the faint of heart. I think this is one of the reasons so many people lose their faith. Fainting along the way for one reason or another. But the faint of heart can be revived. I’ve experienced this to one degree or another multiple times along the way.

Regards,
MG
Ok. what reasons do you rely on to believe there’s a god?. How do you define god? What/who is he? It seems to me you rely on assumption after assumption. Or rather you presuppose the belief. So I’d also be curious what level of probability do you put on god existing? How do you arrive at that probability?
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:19 pm

Ok. what reasons do you rely on to believe there’s a god?. How do you define god? What/who is he? It seems to me you rely on assumption after assumption. Or rather you presuppose the belief. So I’d also be curious what level of probability do you put on god existing? How do you arrive at that probability?
dastardly, if you go back and read my posts from time immemorial…😄…you will see I’ve expressed my opinions on these questions and others. I’m not going to rehash here.

Do a search on the board and look up “anthropic” or “fine tuning” for starters.

I realize that there are arguments for and against but as I observe the world and its historical timeline and evolution I personally see purpose and creative genius behind the scenes rather than randomness and chaos.

The fact that you’re asking believers for proofs is proof, in and of itself, that you are looking for God on a silver platter. Someone to spoon feed you. That’s not the way it works. Other people cannot EVER prove God’s existence to you. It’s a personal endeavor/journey. One that we each travel alone walking in tandem with those that we have reason to trust.

Best wishes in YOUR continued journey to locate/find truth through the means that you have at your disposal and trust. Reason and earthly logic, in my opinion, will only take you so far.

Faith, again, is a hard but worthwhile road to take. It’s not for the faint of heart as I’ve said.

Regards,
MG
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014