Is the get-your-own-planet doctrine dead now?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

Is the get-your-own-planet doctrine dead now?

Post by sock puppet »

Or was the dismissal of this another Hinckley-like wink and nod?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
huckelberry
God

Re: Is the get-your-own-planet doctrine dead now?

Post by huckelberry »

I thought it was clear that HInckley did not think it was a subject to discuss on national television.

Though I thought it was always clear that the phrase, own planet, was just an approximation of something of unknown particulars.

//
Well I guess receiving some sort of realm was clear.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s the same as polygamy. Not dead, just in hiding.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

"Latter-day Saints’ doctrine of exaltation is often similarly reduced in media to a cartoonish image of people receiving their own planets.

"A cloud and harp are hardly a satisfying image for eternal joy, although most Christians would agree that inspired music can be a tiny foretaste of the joy of eternal salvation. Likewise, while few Latter-day Saints would identify with caricatures of having their own planet, most would agree that the awe inspired by creation hints at our creative potential in the eternities."
--"Becoming Like God" essay, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

At one time, FAIR Mormon had claimed that such doctrine was never taught by any LDS leaders. Oops! (ergo, FAIR's removal of that claim).

“Each one of you has it within the realm of his possibility to develop a kingdom over which you will preside as its king and god. You will need to develop yourself and grow in ability and power and worthiness, to govern such a world with all of its people.” (“. . . the Matter of Marriage” [Spencer W. Kimball address delivered at University of Utah Institute of Religion, 22 Oct. 1976], 2).

"President Lorenzo Snow gives us a picture of the importance of celestial marriage: “When two Latter-day Saints are united together in marriage, promises are made to them concerning their offspring that reach from eternity to eternity. They are promised that they shall have the power and the right to govern and control and administer salvation and exaltation and glory to their offspring worlds without end. And what offspring they do not have here, undoubtedly there will be opportunities to have them hereafter. What else could man wish? A man and a woman in the other life, having celestial bodies, free from sickness and disease, glorified and beautified beyond description, standing in the midst of their posterity, governing and controlling them, administering life, exaltation and glory worlds without end!” (Lorenzo Snow, The Deseret Weekly, 3 Apr. 1897, p. 481.)" Spencer W. Kimball, 2.5.1978, Ricks College (now, BYU-Idaho).

“We educate ourselves in the secular field and in the spiritual field so that we may one day create worlds, people and govern them.” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 386).

“Brethren, 225,000 of you are here tonight. I suppose 225,000 of you may become gods. There seems to be plenty of space out there in the universe. And the Lord has proved that he knows how to do it. I think he could make, or probably have us help make, worlds for all of us, for every one of us 225,000” (Spencer W. Kimball, “The Privilege of Holding the Priesthood,” Ensign (Conference Edition), November 1975, p. 80.

"A man and a woman, in the other life, having celestial bodies, free from sickness and disease, glorified and beautified beyond description, standing in the midst of their posterity, governing and controlling them, administering life, exaltation and glory worlds without end” (Deseret News, 13 Mar. 1897; quoted by Spencer W. Kimball in The Miracle of Forgiveness [1969], 246

"[T]hese children are now at play, making mud worlds, the time will come when some of these boys, through their faithfulness to the gospel, will progress and develop in knowledge, intelligence and power, in future eternities, until they shall be able to go out into space where there is unorganized matter and call together the necessary elements, and through their knowledge of and control over the laws and powers of nature, to organize matter into worlds on which their posterity may dwell, and over which they shall rule as gods.’ (Lorenzo Snow, Improvement Era, June 1919, 658–59).

“All those who are counted worthy to be exalted and to become Gods, even the sons of God, will go forth and have earths and worlds like those who framed this and millions on millions of others.” (Journal of Discourses 17:143)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Church now allowing for payments on luxury condos in the Celestial Towers was a stroke of genius. No need to have thoughts of your own planet as competition to the condo sales.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

Hinckley stuff. Say one thing to the world and the exact opposite to the members.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Nope. Here it is:
Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ will receive special blessings. The Lord has promised, “All things are theirs” (D&C 76:59). These are some of the blessings given to exalted people:

They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).

They will become gods (see D&C 132:20–23).

They will be united eternally with their righteous family members and will be able to have eternal increase.

They will receive a fulness of joy.

They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have—all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge (see D&C 132:19–20). President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: “The Father has promised through the Son that all that he has shall be given to those who are obedient to His commandments. They shall increase in knowledge, wisdom, and power, going from grace to grace, until the fulness of the perfect day shall burst upon them” (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 2:36; italics in original).
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng
Exaltation is eternal life, the kind of life God lives. He lives in great glory. He is perfect. He possesses all knowledge and all wisdom. He is the Father of spirit children. He is a creator. We can become like our Heavenly Father. This is exaltation.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:47 pm
I think you’re right.

But I think it’s because we are goldfish in a bowl.

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:08 am
drumdude wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:47 pm
I think you’re right.

Regards,
MG
Running over the same old ground year after year?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:51 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:08 am

I think you’re right.

Regards,
MG
Running over the same old ground year after year?
We tend towards repeated circumnavigation of the same ground.

And I do think we see through a glass darkly.

Comparative to fish in the ocean. Sea life has absolutely no idea what we land lubbers are doing with our time.

Until they get caught in a net. 😉

Gods of other planets? Bit hard to see that. But that’s not to say it couldn’t happen. We admittedly don’t talk about it much, although I do remember a Sacrament Meeting speaker mentioning it within the last year or so.

Regards,
MG