Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:18 pm
Schryver is obviously a loon. I'm a bit stunned to learn that Symmachus, whose knowledge of ancient languages was impressive enough, can also converse with his in-laws in modern Arabic. And even if it weren't Symmachus I would be glad to see someone finally call out shallow pretences at expertise. Loons like Schryver are easy to recognize; it takes significantly more intellectual polish than that to pull off the look and feel of authoritative objectivity. It's still a lot easier to pull off the look than to really understand anything.

What are we supposed to do, though? Just withhold comment until we can mind-meld with every human being in Ukraine and Russia to reach a properly God-like judgement?

Some events aren't just moves in a language game. Some events change the game and the new game is simpler. Once you drive tanks across a border and shell civilians, a lot of nuances are zero. At this point, I'm afraid, the only things I really want to know about the war in Ukraine don't require any language at all. They're just numbers: killed, captured, missing, disabled, destroyed.
Russia is a no-brainer. All you have to do is believe them when they tell you who they are, what they’re going to do, and how they’re going to do it. Imho, if you’re ignorant of their intentions and actions, it isn’t due to language proficiency, that’s for sure.

On the upside, we now have a real battlefield estimate of their capabilities, so that’s nice.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

William Schryver probably picked up some language training on his mission and he is friends with Dr. Daniel Peterson, a language professor. That's good for a nice Chianti and some fava beans along with enhanced policy prognostications.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

It seems like only yesterday Will was bragging about rubbing his teenage daughter’s feet with lotion while watching General Conference.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Symmachus wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:52 pm
Yes, in all fairness it does constitute that.
Thanks for this acknowledgment.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Physics Guy wrote:
... I'm a bit stunned to learn that Symmachus, whose knowledge of ancient languages was impressive enough, can also converse with his in-laws in modern Arabic. ...
I'd just like to say something to all those on this board who have never learned even the rudiments of a language other than English: it is not really very difficult to do. What one needs ideally is a good initial foundation of grammar and vocabulary, followed by immersion in a native speaker environment, the willingness to talk even if you make mistakes, and off you go. Arabic is different in structure and vocabulary to the languages that most westerners use, but it has some really nice features too. Mark you, if you don't continue to use your new language regularly, it will begin to fade away (which has happened to me a couple of times). But it will reawaken, given the opportunity.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:06 am
It seems like only yesterday Will was bragging about rubbing his teenage daughter’s feet with lotion while watching General Conference.
Was that before or after she brought him hot cocoa?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

What are we supposed to do, though? Just withhold comment until we can mind-meld with every human being in Ukraine and Russia to reach a properly God-like judgement?

Some events aren't just moves in a language game. Some events change the game and the new game is simpler. Once you drive tanks across a border and shell civilians, a lot of nuances are zero. At this point, I'm afraid, the only things I really want to know about the war in Ukraine don't require any language at all. They're just numbers: killed, captured, missing, disabled, destroyed.
I have to confess ignorance on this one, as in so many other cases. I sometimes get the feeling that, in this Russia business, the US is like a guy being warned not to talk to someone in the lunch line in prison because he is someone else’s bitch, and if his big mamma finds out, well, I was told, wasn’t I? It would all be my fault if both of us got beaten within an inch of our lives.

On the other hand, we are a nation of shameless hucksters with conveniently short memories. We can argue about whether we promised to restrict the eastward advance of NATO or not, but I have a feeling we would not hesitate to sell the Russians on the idea, or let them think so when we did not mean it, with a wink and a smile.

But, as you say, now that the Russians are slaughtering and kidnapping innocents inside Ukraine . . . .
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Symmachus
Valiant A

Post by Symmachus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:39 pm
Well, who would you rely on so I can get factual current information?
To reveal this to you would put me in the sights of Putler's FSB, who will ruin me either with dezinformatsiya or a car bomb.
Physics Guy wrote:
Well, to be sure, I was addressing a quibble of Chap's with my larger claim that the people running ISW have a very poor track record in terms of geopolitcal strategy and general honesty with the public going back a couple of decades now. I wouldn't trust them to give an independent description of a birthday party, let alone plan it. I was merely pointing out that the people on their staff doing the actual descriptions don't seem all that experienced or qualified. This was part of a wider response to a post that described it as sober and rational (maybe it is, maybe it isn't—who knows? There are reasons to be skeptical), not an argument about why language competency is the only thing that matters (I think it is part of the bare minimum).

Someone has to collect those numbers and interpret them, though. But how can you say language doesn't matter here? That language games are a part of it. Language is in fact a central part of the conflict and has been for years (see here and here, for starters). Ignoring all of this isn't going to help. We have all in the US already been conditioned to view this from the perspective of the Ukrainian nationalists, a process that has been going on for years. The rechristening of "the Ukraine" as "Ukraine" was part of this in the 90s (ukraina means, basically, "in the borderland" in Russian and Ukrainian, because it was the borderland of the the Russian lands through various political iterations; English always had the definitive article "the" because it reflected the meaning of the word without directly translating it; so Ukraine = "the border area," and removing the "the" elided that fact to please Ukrainian nationalists who didn't want Western people, curious about why it was "the Ukraine," to get the answer and then ask: "borderlands of what?"). The way the US media marched eagerly into spelling conformity from the the traditional English spelling "Kiev" to the Ukrainian "Kyiv" was expected but still breathtaking in its rapidity and totality. All maps must be written now because we support these nationalists in this corrupt country.

On just the surface level language has been part of the propaganda efforts of both sides, but it is symptomatic of the deeper conflict and reveals some of the complexities that make it hard to brush away nuance—unless the goal is to drag the publics in the US and NATO countries in all the way. The Russian government has been factually arguing that Ukrainian has been artificially imposed on the much of the population of eastern Ukraine to de-Russify it, which is in fact a continuation of Soviet policy (very interesting material on this in the Robert Service book I mentioned: contrary to popular American belief, for most of the USSR's history the Communist Party was very deliberate and aggressive in co-opting nationalism by implementing de-Russification policies in language and a whole host other areas of administrative and political life; that is in the context in which Crimea suddenly became part of Ukraine in the 1950s administrative reforms, despite there being no Ukraine-speakers or people thinking of themselves as Ukrainians living there. Incidentally, notice how most of the leaders of the USSR were Ukrainians or from other peripheral areas of the old Russian empire, and how of all the many republics that made up the USSR, there Russia alone had not constitutive republic; Russian nationalism was the only nationalism that was always forbidden in the USSR until its final days, and there is still a lot resentment among ethnic Russians). While there is a core East Slavic language that we can call "Ukrainian," a great deal of it was invented whole-cloth by Romantic nationalists in the 19th century and Soviet educationalists in the 20th. Of course Russian propagandists are wrong in saying there is no such thing as the Ukrainian language, but this claim has staying power because it is not always clear what Ukrainian is. The numbers I have seen all rely on old census data, but even there it is very confusing: 2/3 of Ukrainians claim Ukrainian as their mother tongue and 1/3 claim Russian, but around 80% used Russian in daily life, more than 50% exclusively, with less than 10% relying exclusively on Ukrainian. Language has been part of this conflict because of the de-Russification policies of successive NATO-backed governments since the 2000s. People in the US light their hair on fire with rage whenever some county in Wyoming or Mississippi violates fundamental human rights and commits genocide by declaring its meeting minutes will only be published in English, but for some reason it's ok when dipsh!t Ukrainian actors do it.

Does the anti-Russian language policy justify invasion? Of course not, but it should make one skeptical of the simplistic Russian vs. Ukrainian framing on which Western propaganda relies. The falsity of that distinction is part of the problem, but worse is the way it is instrumentalized to win over public opinion. In the west there is this portrayal of a distinct national identity with its own language and culture, but that is largely a fiction. It's even been used in war time, reported on with ghoulish glee in the west. Early on those who followed Russian Twitter or Russian media would run across videos of people executed or beaten after being weeded out as a Russian saboteur based on their pronunciation of the word palianytsia, a kind of bread. Supposedly only real Ukrainians can pronounce this word, so it became a shibboleth, and one did not want to be on the wrong end of it on a patrol. Ok. Call it all Russian propaganda. But the sober and rational Economist celebrated this as the liberal European freedom-fighter's ingenuity in the face of Asiatic Russians, which means the fact of it happening is agreed upon. However, if you know that most Ukrainians would pronounce it as a Russian because they are actually Russian speakers (even Zelensky is a native Russian-speaker, not a Ukrainian speaker), then you start to wonder which account is the more propagandistic. Added to that, the pronunciation is really just characteristic of southern Russian dialects, which means that a southern Russian could pass the test but potentially not a "real" Ukrainian. The people doing the beating and killing of course knew that and knew what the were doing. It wasn't about smoking out saboteurs. If it had been Russians doing it, it would have been called a genocide or a war crime atrocity, but reported on in the West it becomes an inspiring story when the regime in this dipsh!t third-world country does it—because we're bankrolling them. What is a citizen in the US supposed to make of that? That Ukraine is worth all the billions we are giving them? That we should continue be cavalier in our approach, our language, our attitude to this because of perceived atrocities? Which atrocities count and which don't? One wonders whether this is truly about democratic self-determination and not a project for maintaining American dominance, as conceived by some American elites in the foreign policy and military establishments, not necessarily American voters or their representatives (that op-ed is written by a board member of the ISW, by the way).

More to the topic, are the analysts at ISW with their deep knowledge of the linguistic landscape of the region and their top notch Russian and Ukrainian (they got an A in intermediate Russian at Smart People University!) able to see through The Economist and other publications that celebrated this or—more likely—are they relying them for their analysis? If they do see through it, does that go into their analysis, or is it suppressed in service of the larger "strategic objective" (and just what is that objective anyway)? I don't know, but I'm not sure assume they are capable of this relevant nuance or would care in the case of an organization that includes Bill Kristol and the Kagans on its board, because I know about their previous adventures in wartime propaganda and their larger belief that American military power should be used now, while it's strong, to impose a particular vision on the world, despite the costs and risks and the lack of clear benefit. As Doc says, it's a no-brainer; just listen to what they say. The ISW is not just some blog. Kimberly Kagan is the head of ISW and is the sister-in-law of Victoria Nuland, who was caught red-handed trying to handpick the leader of Ukraine in 2014 (so much democratic self-determination there! So telling then was that the scandal was about her disrespect of EU, not the fact that she was trying to pick the leader of a country on Russia's border and subvert its much lauded democratic processes). Her policy in Ukraine of regime change through successive "color revolutions" is part of what got us here—but not only is she back in government, she's got an even higher position!

Perhaps other people are fine with all of this, and WIll Shryver might be a loon, but people should at least be clear on all of this. That remains the core of my response and the only thing I have to add to the discussion on Will Shryver's lunacy.
Last edited by Symmachus on Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
(who/whom)

"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."
—B. Redd McConkie
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Learning another language isn't difficult, in the sense that almost anyone can do it. It's not something at which you are likely to fail despite trying your best, like winning a tournament or getting into your first-choice law school.

It's not even a project that you have to complete fully before it is worth much, like becoming a qualified welder. Learning a language offers a pretty even slope of reward for effort; each additional month you invest will bring something worthwhile. As long as you're above a pretty basic level of proficiency, limited fluency just means looking up words and reading again, having to ask people to say things again more slowly, and getting your point across in longer and more awkward ways. You can still read, write, and speak.

Up to a point, anyway. What I learned from lecturing in German is that in normal conversation as a non-native speaker, you rely quite a lot on the fact that you don't have anything really important to say. So if you don't know how to say what you want to say, you just say something else, that you can say, because really it's just as good. That means that some fraction of the personality you show in conversation isn't really you, just your limited language skill; but oh, well. You probably weren't going to be bringing anyone to enlightenment with your words, even if your thoughts were coming out unimpeded. Lecturing in another language has turned out to be harder than causal speech by a lot more than I had been expecting, because in a lecture I can't just talk about an easier topic instead, offer vague agreement until someone else picks up the ball, or say something that's kind-of right.

So past a certain point I wouldn't necessarily trust someone with modest Russian language skills, say, to give me an accurate summary of the tenor of Russian news stories about the war in Ukraine. At intermediate skill levels it often happens that part of what someone says jumps out to you clearly while another part kind of gets lost. In casual conversation you can quite often get by with only focusing on the part that you got clearly, but if you're supposed to be translating the person's whole message for another audience, there can be serious problems. Maybe the clear part that jumped out was describing what other people foolishly thought, and it was only in the part that you missed that the speaker explained their own thinking. Maybe you were reading a Russian analog of The Onion, and the subtle cues that it was all deadpan satire just went over your head. Picking up things like that doesn't require you to be a native speaker of the language, but doing it reliably does require a pretty high level of fluency.

I've learned languages in high school, in intensive language classes for foreign students, and by practice. I don't know how much a minor concentration at the Bachelor's level is worth. It might be enough; maybe not.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Don't know much about Schryver's history in Mopologetics. I read old some threads on this board in which he comes off as a misogynist and loon, so what's changed?

Also, is he still a defender of the faith? Why wasn't he at the capitol along with Captain Moroni to bear testimony?