Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

Post by drumdude »

Symmachus wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:32 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:01 pm
With respect, senator, I do think your irritation may have mildly distorted your evaluation. I have just clicked on the images of those young people, and I find that a number of them do appear to have relevant language skills. That is not everything by any means, but it is not nothing.
I don't see it, Chap. I find two or three people who appear to be from the region. I find it's almost entirely people with BAs in international relations, PhDs in government or public policy, think-tank internships, journalism, previous government, or NGO work. They may or may not be experts, but at this kind of training isn't like training in physics but more like training to be a clergyman.

Anyway, language competency should be the bare minimum, yet not even that is satisfied. In America, it is very possible to have a career as a Russia/China/Middle East expert without knowing the language all that well or at all. Many such cases.
drumdude wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:25 pm
Of course you are always allowed to be as ignorant as you like. Putin takes very strategic advantage of this feature of our democracy and very often successfully uses it against us.
Yes, my skepticism means I am an ignorant Putin fan.

Just curious, how many eastern European languages do you speak? I read several (not counting the ones no one speaks anymore). Would you be able to tell the difference between Ukrainian and Russian? I would.

Of course, the best Russian propaganda is in Russian, so obviously not knowing Russian means you can be more objective, right?
I'm just pointing out that your "what about Iraq" argument is a very simplistic trope being spread by people who are incredibly ignorant about Russia and their war in Ukraine.

You should know if you are familiar with the region that the majority of <40 year old Eastern European people speak fluent English these days. Among those <20 years old it is rapidly approaching 100%. This is nothing like Iraq, where you need translators.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Symmachus wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:39 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:46 pm
If anyone is interested in a sober and rational look (with updates every week) at the Russian war on Ukraine:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgr ... ct-updates

- Doc
Just curious, Doctor Cam, if you were as big a supporter of the Iraq war as the people behind the Institute for the Study of War were and are. Among luminaries like Fred Kagan, a man who has spent decades writing about the middle east without ever having learned anything about it, we have such sober people as Bill Kristol, formerly a favorite at Fox News and the wily impresario who brought us the rationality of Sarah Palin.
I was up front a supporter of the war because I was ignorant and misinformed. Within a short’ish period of time I went 180 degrees. The Iraq war, in my opinion, was a criminal act.
Did the sober rationality they had at that time lead you to slander anyone who opposed that policy choice as "slather[ing] praise and lotion on [Saddam]'s backside," as our friend Everybody Wang Chung does, or do you view all historical events, territorial disputes, great power politics, etc. as variations on Hitler, as our noble founder and visionary, Dr. Shades, appears to do? I will say this for the their "Analysts and Associates," though: they are among the best standardized test-takers this nation has ever produced. If I wanted a bunch a bunch of analysts in their mid twenties who don't even speak the languages of the the regions they study to provide important analysis to the US government and media agencies, these are the ones I'd pick. Look at those degrees! Look at those internships! Look at those folded-arm portraits! They probably enjoy craft beers and have ironically named cats, too.
For sure, I was territorial in my opinions about the war, but as stated above reason, facts, and ethics won the day.
The propaganda surrounding this conflict is so unrelenting and ubiquitous that I am not sure a "sober and rational look" is possible at this time for any organization commenting on the issue to have, especially one dependent on donors like Raytheon and General Dynamics, as ISW is. For those who do not derive their moral self-satisfaction by conjuring up positive mental states from news stories, best to wait and read Thucydides. He is far more more sober and rational than anyone at that organization is capable of. There is an argument that one should support one's side because it is one's side (the emotion formerly known as "patriotism"), but one should make that argument rather than dressing it up with weighty words like "sober" and "rational."
Well, it’s sober and rational as compared to most outlets. Look, I thought it was a good source of information on the conflict - informational, not rhetoric-filled, and had what I thought at the time were reputable board members. If you have recommendations for sites covering the war that meet the description I just typed out I’m all ears. In fact, I’d be grateful because I want good information.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Schryver wrote:For the record, I am unvaxxed and have NEVER masked my face
If I lived on ranchland down in Delta Utah where my only neighbors within miles were a lot full of rusted-out VWs, I may not have have got vaccinated or wore a mask either.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:16 pm
Schryver wrote:For the record, I am unvaxxed and have NEVER masked my face
If I lived on ranchland down in Delta Utah where my only neighbors within miles were a lot full of rusted-out VWs, I may not have have got vaccinated or wore a mask either.
Will lives in a van down by the river?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:01 pm
Symmachus wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:39 pm
I will say this for the their "Analysts and Associates," though: they are among the best standardized test-takers this nation has ever produced. If I wanted a bunch a bunch of analysts in their mid twenties who don't even speak the languages of the the regions they study to provide important analysis to the US government and media agencies, these are the ones I'd pick. Look at those degrees! Look at those internships! Look at those folded-arm portraits! They probably enjoy craft beers and have ironically named cats, too.
With respect, senator, I do think your irritation may have mildly distorted your evaluation. I have just clicked on the images of those young people, and I find that a number of them do appear to have relevant language skills. That is not everything by any means, but it is not nothing.
Symmachus wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:32 pm
I don't see it, Chap. I find two or three people who appear to be from the region.
So I looked again, and found:
Mason received a B.A. with Honors in International Studies with a focus on US Foreign Policy and Russian from American University’s School of International Service.

Kat holds an MA in International Relations from the University of St Andrews in Scotland, where she studied civil-military relations and Russian.

Peter obtained an M.A. in International Political Economy from Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies while studying Arabic.

Grace holds a B.A. in International Relations and Global Studies and English from the University of Texas at Austin, where she also minored in Russian and earned a certificate in Security Studies.

He is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a BA in History and Chinese.
That makes five with some formal linguistic qualifications. Yup, there is also a native of Kyiv, and what appears to be a native Chinese speaker. Now in all fairness, does that constitute
a bunch of analysts in their mid twenties who don't even speak the languages of the the regions they study
?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

“ Doctor CamNC4Me” wrote: If you have recommendations for sites covering the war that meet the description I just typed out I’m all ears. In fact, I’d be grateful because I want good information.

- Doc
I’ve found this site to be fair and objective:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/imetatronink
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Symmachus
Valiant A

Post by Symmachus »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:41 pm
I'm just pointing out that your "what about Iraq" argument is a very simplistic trope being spread by people who are incredibly ignorant about Russia and their war in Ukraine.
The flippancy with which you wave this away as a "simplistic trope" is astonishing. Yet it is not relevant whether it has become or trope or not, because it has just happens to be a fact that many of the people on the board of ISW and many of the people most vociferous in support for an aggressive NATO response over Ukraine were instrumental in advocating for the greatest world-historical blunder since Vietnam, leading to hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths over an invasion, occupation and basically two civil wars in the country; the complete fragmentation of the regional order with serious consequences that the world still lives with (e.g. an emboldened Iran); a weakening of American power on the world stage and thus an uncertain and dangerously fragmenting global order; and the downstream effects on the US economy, culture, and politics. That's just the short list.

The news cycle may have moved onto other shiny objects in the intervening decades, but we are still living with the mistakes of these people. All we got out of it was "oh sorry about that; some low-level intelligence officers made mistakes" (they have never said which ones were responsible for the mistake, and presumably they have not been held to account). Or as Rep. Omar might put it with her Palinesque eloquence, "some people did something." Not only has none of them been asked to answer for any for it, but they are to be heeded as sage guides in the crafting of policy—only those duped by Russian propaganda would disagree! If that's fine with you, keep flying that Ukrainian flag in our frontyard to signal yourself as one of the good guys who is too smart for "Russian propaganda." Excuse me for a being a little bit skeptical now that the band is getting back together to help direct US policy again (not that they really ever left)—only this time with the world's largest nuclear power and not a relatively insignificant country.
You should know if you are familiar with the region that the majority of <40 year old Eastern European people speak fluent English these days. Among those <20 years old it is rapidly approaching 100%. This is nothing like Iraq, where you need translators.
This reads like it came from Will Shryver's Twitter feed.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:43 pm
Well, it’s sober and rational as compared to most outlets. Look, I thought it was a good source of information on the conflict - informational, not rhetoric-filled, and had what I thought at the time were reputable board members. If you have recommendations for sites covering the war that meet the description I just typed out I’m all ears. In fact, I’d be grateful because I want good information.
It definitely appears more sober and rational, but I am skeptical because the people in it have a clear policy agenda that they argue for in other venues all the time. I used to look at ISW a lot as well last February and March for the same reasons; I just take it all with a pound of salt. I don't know that it is possible to get any good information, or even what the point of finding "good information" is supposed to be. Was it possible to get good information in the during the First World War? Probably not. Lots of propaganda on all sides. The Second World War had a moral clarity to it that meant that propaganda didn't matter anyway. I think the US government and media organizations are treating this as if there were the same moral clarity, but there isn't. Those who have spent more time studying Russian history than consuming American news know that there is just no way a Russian leader, no matter who, was going to tolerate a NATO-influenced or EU-leaning government on its border. Consider A. J. P. Taylor on the last significant Crimean War:
A. J. P. Taylor wrote:In some sense the Crimean war was predestined and had deep-seated causes. Neither Nicholas I nor Napoleon III nor the British government could retreat in the conflict for prestige once it was launched. Nicholas needed a subservient Turkey for the sake of Russian security; Napoleon needed success for the sake of his domestic position; the British government needed an independent Turkey for the security of the Eastern Mediterranean. Yet none of the three had conscious plans for aggression, not even Napoleon, despite his welcome of disturbance for its own sake. The British fears that Russia planned the dismemberment of Turkey were as ill founded as Russia’s fears that the western Powers threatened her security in the Black Sea. Mutual fear, not mutual aggression, caused the Crimean war.
Security concerns have always dominated Russian foreign policy in the modern era. Many of the top people at ISW know this of course—they just think America is a powerful enough to brush this aside, and more to the point that is necessary to do so. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I think it is important to understand that they are coming from a certain position and that they are not objective observers. The goal of the ISW, according to their mission statement, is to support US policy:
We are committed to improving the nation’s ability to execute military operations and respond to emerging threats in order to achieve U.S. strategic objectives.
Given the people involved, it's not unreasonable to ask just what strategic objectives they think we need to achieve here. It is very telling of our times that if you ask that question, then you are an idiot duped by Russian propaganda and the evil Putler.

I think it is much more valuable to read history than news anyway, because most news is propaganda anyway (as is a lot of history, admittedly), or at least highly partisan. Read Robert Service's Russia: Experiment with a People, written long before this conflict (20 years ago) and you can see a lot prescience about potential conflicts stemming from the way that nationalism was instrumentalized at the end of the Cold War. Service is no friend to the Putin regime. One of the great American historians of Russia, Stephen Kotkin, has a short bibliographic note at the end of his book Armageddon, about the end of the Soviet Union and the rise of Putin, that is most instructive. He surveys the relevant works on Russian and eastern European history of the period and ends with this:
Stephen Kotkin wrote:For those interested in studying the art of contemporary history, there is no better place to turn than Thucydides.
I think that's good advice. A taste:
Thucydides wrote:It follows that it was not a very wonderful action, or contrary to the common practice of mankind, if we did accept an empire that was offered to us, and refused to give it up under the pressure of three of the strongest motives, fear, honor, and interest. And it was not we who set the example, for it has always been the law that the weaker should be subject to the stronger. Besides, we believed ourselves to be worthy of our position, and so you thought us till now, when calculations of interest have made you take up the cry of justice—a consideration which no one ever yet brought forward to hinder his ambition when he had a chance of gaining anything by might.
No doubt, if you are satisfied with understanding things at the level of good guys vs. bad guys, then a simplistic appeal to Hitler and World War Two should be enough to see this as free countries vs. unfree countries. Surely that is an element, but in what way? One might also consider what elements of fear, honor, and interest are at play, because it is obvious that free vs. unfree does not apply in any easy way here or in relations with other countries. Those are not the angles from which any media organization will approach this, and certainly no government, so again, I do not know where the "good sources of information" are. Those who don't like my appeal to Thucydides should take it up with Stephen Kotkin. Before they do, they should read this bit from Thucydides 1.176 alongside the A. J. P. Taylor above.

Beyond calling for skepticism of the ISW, I have no answers or insight, and am mostly echoing one of the great theorists of international relations:

Chap wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:21 pm
So I looked again, and found:
Mason received a B.A. with Honors in International Studies with a focus on US Foreign Policy and Russian from American University’s School of International Service.

Kat holds an MA in International Relations from the University of St Andrews in Scotland, where she studied civil-military relations and Russian.

Peter obtained an M.A. in International Political Economy from Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies while studying Arabic.

Grace holds a B.A. in International Relations and Global Studies and English from the University of Texas at Austin, where she also minored in Russian and earned a certificate in Security Studies.

He is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a BA in History and Chinese.
That makes five with some formal linguistic qualifications. Yup, there is also a native of Kyiv, and what appears to be a native Chinese speaker. Now in all fairness, does that constitute
a bunch of analysts in their mid twenties who don't even speak the languages of the the regions they study
?
Yes, in all fairness it does constitute that. I see euphemisms in three cases, not credentials. "focus on" "studied" and "while studying" and some of this in one- or two-year programs focused primarily on something else. You read that as language competency, really? And then of the two non-euphemisms, one is a minor? You can get a language minor by reaching intermediate conversation levels while taking a literature class in translation or a course or two in history, which could be on "women in Russia in cinema" to "the mongol invasions of the 14th century." These people wouldn't qualify to teach survey courses or introductory level language courses as part-time adjuncts at a community college, but I guess we will just let them be our analysts for a world-historical crisis involving nuclear powers? At least this time we'll not be surprised when our political leaders lay all the blame for disastrous decisions on some low level people.

Show me the person with a PhD in Russian or Chinese or Arabic who has written a monograph that required archival work. Then show me that their archival work was on a relevant topic—that should be the minimum requirement, the absolute minimum for something like this. None of what you posted comes close to meeting that.

On language competencies, my skepticism is rooted in experience of people with these kinds of resumes. I had to learn Arabic because I married into a family that knew only Arabic (other than my spouse), and needed to learn it while living with them in their country, not as an NGO worker or government bureaucrat or grad student. But I did meet many such people with these sort of resumes who were there as part of an ideological program (NGOs) or government or completing their semester-long language requirement so that could then get a job in government or an NGO. Hardly any of them could actually have a sustained high-level conversation in the language. Some spoke newspaper Arabic and had a hard time in doing mundane things with the language. Arabic language education in the US is particularly bad, and I highly doubt Chinese language instruction is any better—but then most language education in this country pretty terrible. Russian language education used to be really good because the US government bathed universities and colleges in funding for it, but most of that dried up after the early 1990s. Even today, go have a look at the open jobs for language analysts in US intelligence. The requirements are remarkably low. I know of someone with a PhD in Hebrew Bible who used his coursework in Northwest Semitics (so, reading inscriptions or doing comparative linguistics) to barely pass the Arabic reading exam for a sigint job with the NSA—and he got the job! It wasn't because of his competence was great, just that it was the best of the candidates. After all, he "had studied" or "focused on" Arabic (one class in Qur'anic Arabic) as part of his dissertation research on Northwest Semitics, so that made him the most qualified for the job. Being called "Dr." was also impressive. By his own admission, he had a tough time with the language test.

Of those you found, they are not the kinds of qualifications I would rely on if I wanted to get a sober and rational perspective of an ongoing military conflict with seriously dangerous global implications. At the top there are people who are world-historical failures and careerists who should not be taken seriously; they apparently rely on the analysis of not very experienced and not very credentialed people in their 20s. I wonder why I am supposed to be impressed by this.
(who/whom)

"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."
—B. Redd McConkie
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, who would you rely on so I can get factual current information?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Symmachus wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:52 pm
Those who don't like my appeal to Thucydides should take it up with Stephen Kotkin.
Thank you, Consul. I seem to remember you writing about Kotkin's referencing of Thucydides, before.

For lurkers, Dean Gadianton was kind enough to start a thread on Kotkin, down in Paradise, a few months ago.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Schryver is obviously a loon. I'm a bit stunned to learn that Symmachus, whose knowledge of ancient languages was impressive enough, can also converse with his in-laws in modern Arabic. And even if it weren't Symmachus I would be glad to see someone finally call out shallow pretences at expertise. Loons like Schryver are easy to recognize; it takes significantly more intellectual polish than that to pull off the look and feel of authoritative objectivity. It's still a lot easier to pull off the look than to really understand anything.

What are we supposed to do, though? Just withhold comment until we can mind-meld with every human being in Ukraine and Russia to reach a properly God-like judgement?

Some events aren't just moves in a language game. Some events change the game and the new game is simpler. Once you drive tanks across a border and shell civilians, a lot of nuances are zero. At this point, I'm afraid, the only things I really want to know about the war in Ukraine don't require any language at all. They're just numbers: killed, captured, missing, disabled, destroyed.
I was a teenager before it was cool.