Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

Post by Physics Guy »

Jack Watling wrote:Russian doctrine is often far ahead of western military theory. ... The practice, however, rarely matches the theory. ... Russian materiel is generally exceptionally well designed and adequately built. ... The weakness of Russian materiel tends to be that it is inflexible – designed to perform one specified task well – and that multiple generations of systems being employed simultaneously makes maintenance difficult. ... Where the west has pursued efficiency at the expense of resilience, the Russians still have excess capacity in their production lines. ... Russia’s military was designed to fight short, high-intensity wars. ... One of the greatest deficiencies in the Russian military is leadership and education. ... Perhaps one of the greatest weaknesses of the country’s military system, though, is training.
The acknowledged Russian strengths don't even seem like strengths at all when you consider the weaknesses. Watling seems to be trying to sound judicious while actually describing a paper tiger.

Another way to talk about far-ahead doctrine that doesn't work in practice is to say that it's wishful thinking. Another way to talk about exceptionally good designs that only do one thing well is to say that they only count as good designs in a Texas sharpshooter way, defining the goal to be the one thing you've achieved. A resilient system that is only designed for short wars sounds like a flat contradiction in terms. And to say that leadership and training are each "one of the greatest" weaknesses or deficiencies is like saying that the brain tumor and the heart failure are perhaps some of the patient's greatest health troubles.

The one thing about the Russian military that isn't paper at all is that they have a lot of artillery. That's a big strength because a few big shells landing at the right place and time can solve most battlefield problems. Among the problems that can be solved with artillery is enemy artillery: counter-battery fire, to destroy the enemy's guns from long range, is one of artillery's main jobs. Other things being equal, whoever has the most artillery will soon have the only artillery.

That's why long-ranged western rockets and howitzers are so important to the Ukrainians, because they can attack Russian targets from beyond the range of return fire. The numbers are still tiny, however. There are something like 16 HIMARS trucks in Ukraine now, and each only carries six missiles. Reports I see are all about HIMARS rockets hitting Russian supply dumps, which are far behind the front lines but are also stationary targets, while modern artillery fires for a while and then moves, instead of waiting around to get targeted. It sounds as though the Ukrainians haven't been able to spot a Russian tracked howitzer and get a HIMARS rocket launched to it before the target is gone. If they ever find a way to do that consistently, the one big advantage of the Russian army will quickly erode.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Physics Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:10 am
Jack Watling wrote:Russian doctrine is often far ahead of western military theory. ... The practice, however, rarely matches the theory. ... Russian materiel is generally exceptionally well designed and adequately built. ... The weakness of Russian materiel tends to be that it is inflexible – designed to perform one specified task well – and that multiple generations of systems being employed simultaneously makes maintenance difficult. ... Where the west has pursued efficiency at the expense of resilience, the Russians still have excess capacity in their production lines. ... Russia’s military was designed to fight short, high-intensity wars. ... One of the greatest deficiencies in the Russian military is leadership and education. ... Perhaps one of the greatest weaknesses of the country’s military system, though, is training.
The acknowledged Russian strengths don't even seem like strengths at all when you consider the weaknesses. Watling seems to be trying to sound judicious while actually describing a paper tiger.

[...]
Erm ... Watling's careful description of Russia's military advantages (and they do have some, which need to be taken seriously) precedes his careful description of the weaknesses that currently nullify those advantages, and which, as he makes clear, render the Russian military system weak in the face of the Ukrainian armed forces.

I really don't see what your problem is with his article.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

The problem is that right after he finishes praising a strength, he says something which implies not only that the strength is matched by some weakness, but that the strength itself is really a weakness after all. I mean, if you tell me that someone makes great plans, only somehow their plans never work, then I'm not going to agree that they have a strength in planning and a weakness in execution. I'm going to conclude that their plans are bad, too. If a machine has a brilliant design, only it doesn't work unless it's handled exactly so, then how brilliant a design really is that? Isn't it more of a foolishly unrealistic design?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

H wrote:I don't think it is an exaggeration to say those who side with the claim NATO caused the war are asserting the world reform around a 19rh century world order. That being one where great powers assert control over their regions in what JJM has described as a multipolar bounded order. It's no more so than it would be a similar regression to assert the ex-husband in the analogy is justified in their belief they should maintain control over their ex-wife as a Man.
I somewhat disagree, because according to YouTube, I'm supposed to excise moralistic thinking when I think about geopolitics. If we have to think in terms of moral right and wrong, then helping Ukraine is randomly helping one of many battered exes, and it's akin to giving this ex as many cans of pepper spray as we can afford but stopping short of anything that will fix the problem because the guy is a big dude with a truck and a gunrack, and I don't want him coming by my house. The moral justification is a "nice to have" once all the cold materialism has been calculated, but even then, the moral justification seems to require more than we're willing to help.

I don't think being against NATO requires a person to be multipolar, although perhaps JM is multipolar, I don't know. It can be just like accepting tigers are going to eat Kudu, and we're good with that, so long as the Kudu eating doesn't bleed into anything that seriously impacts my life. It could be less a fundamental difference in world view, and more a difference of where the calculation stands. If we just have to keep Ukraine neutral despite Ukraine's wishes, then I'm good with that, battered ex analogy and all. If JM is saying (and I'm just speculating based on the multipolar comment) that not only do we not push NATO, but we have to let Putin take all the countries required to plug the 9 gaps, well then I think that's too much and we've got to take our chances. Of course, that's based on what was known 10 months ago, before knowing how bad off their military was.

Count me as one who believes NATO is a pretext and not a real fear. It may be a political fear due to internal expectations, but I don't buy that Putin is afraid of NATO invading Russia. Just the Oliver Stone interviews with him pushing that BS would be enough to convince me, come on, wasn't born yesterday. And now that the truth is revealed about his military? Shouldn't NATO be a positive now? Being NATO leverages the mutually assured destruction bet, and that's all he's got now. Now, his fear shouldn't be NATO, but non-NATO countries that can act alone and do real damage, where his nukes aren't a viable option or deterrence.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I think now is a good time to go to the negotiating table. Europe is facing a disaster come winter and Russia isn't as potent as it once may have seemed. Despite the resolve of the leaders, Europeans will revolt if they have to face literally freezing to death this winter. Perhaps restart the Minsk talks that stalled?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Physics Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:28 pm
[...] If a machine has a brilliant design, only it doesn't work unless it's handled exactly so, then how brilliant a design really is that? Isn't it more of a foolishly unrealistic design?
If a car is has a good engine and gearbox etc., but doesn't run well if you don't inflate the tyres, or you fill the tank with diesel rather than gasoline, then the design is certainly not at fault.

Similarly, the Russian military has some good features, but the benefits of these are lost through the effect of things as corruption, and poor training of the troops. It would be perfectly possible to change those, and then the benefits of the good features would show up.

You do seem, if you will pardon me saying so, to be a bit obsessed with sustaining the claim that the Russian military is hopeless in every respect. I'm not sure why that you should feel that way.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:44 pm
Despite the resolve of the leaders, Europeans will revolt if they have to face literally freezing to death this winter.
It really is a bit more complex than that, both in terms of what Europeans (a very varied group indeed) will suffer this winter and what (if anything) they are likely to do as a result.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Chap wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:32 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:44 pm
Despite the resolve of the leaders, Europeans will revolt if they have to face literally freezing to death this winter.
It really is a bit more complex than that, both in terms of what Europeans (a very varied group indeed) will suffer this winter and what (if anything) they are likely to do as a result.
Of course. However, what do you think about going to the negotiation table? The Biden Admin won't even talk to the Russians at this point. Perhaps the parties should at least be talking?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:09 pm
H wrote:I don't think it is an exaggeration to say those who side with the claim NATO caused the war are asserting the world reform around a 19rh century world order. That being one where great powers assert control over their regions in what JJM has described as a multipolar bounded order. It's no more so than it would be a similar regression to assert the ex-husband in the analogy is justified in their belief they should maintain control over their ex-wife as a Man.
If we have to think in terms of moral right and wrong, then helping Ukraine is randomly helping one of many battered exes, and it's akin to giving this ex as many cans of pepper spray as we can afford but stopping short of anything that will fix the problem because the guy is a big dude with a truck and a gunrack, and I don't want him coming by my house. The moral justification is a "nice to have" once all the cold materialism has been calculated, but even then, the moral justification seems to require more than we're willing to help.
Fair points, perhaps, if we assert what made the situation in Ukraine different from, say, Georgia in 2008, or what occured and continues in Hong Kong is random. Or perhaps it isn't rationally moral and so we are left with pragmatic "cold materialism" as you said. Perhaps.

One of the issues I see with neorealism is it's static determinism where the relationships that matter are primarily based on the magnitude of power a polity possesses to generate influence. It takes a picture of the moment and predicts the future based on that dynamic then asserts policy should be determined from rationally calculating the cost/benefit. What we've seen in Ukraine is the unknowns and intangibles become force multipliers such that hidden deficiencies in Russian military capability combined with morale and national identity in Ukraine wouldn't be predictable factors if one simply assumes this approach yet they've proven decisive so far. Pragmatically the forecast remains that Putin's Russia is still the stronger, bigger, and theoretically better equiped force so the probable outcome should still be a Russian victory. But who really knows.

I think what Kotkin had to say early in the conflict has weight here when it comes to the topic, though:

https://www.hoover.org/research/5-more- ... -edition-1
So there's a misunderstanding of quote democracy in Russia in the nineties. In addition, we had this debate in the early part of the Cold War, Peter. We had this debate where people said, you know, we didn't respect Soviet's sensitivities. We didn't respect Stalin psychology. And so look what happened. He conquered all his neighbors because he was disrespected. He conquered Eastern Europe. He conquered Northeast Asia. We should have respected him more. Peter, I'm sorry, that argument is bunk. There are internal processes in Putin's Russia, which started in Yeltsin's Russia, which predate both of them by a long, long time where the recourse to autocracy, the recourse to repression, the recourse to militarism, the suspicion of foreigners, these are not reactions to something that the West does or doesn't do, these are internal processes that had a dynamic of their own, and that NATO expansion became a pretext or an excuse post-facto. For many years we've now been having this I would say self-flagellation. Let's imagine that we don't expand the security perimeter and the realm of freedom. Where would those countries be right now? Where would Czechoslovakia, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, where would they be right now? They would potentially be in the same place as Ukraine.
So perhaps we do favor former-Soviet satellite states bordering the West that show resolve and the ability to put up a meaningful resistance to Putin's aggression where we don't step in to Georgia. We will likely respond to China differently when it comes to Taiwan than we have in regards to Hong Kong, too. The analogy was meant to show there is a certain backwards mindset that simply defaults to great power dynamics akin to the behaviours of larger powers towards lesser powers as a right of being a greater power. The push back shows the flaws in both the analogy and the attempt to say we are engaging with moral clarity. If there is one thing international relations will likely never involve, it is moral clarity. Rare events such as Fascism in Europe create an illusion of just war. But lack of moral clarity in most instances creates an equally dubious illusion of extreme moral liability as the alternative to staying home and STFU. in my opinion.
I don't think being against NATO requires a person to be multipolar, although perhaps JM is multipolar, I don't know
I'd be curious to see how one maps an international order that is not multipolar that favors disbanding NATO? JJM has written extensively enough that we can know he favors a multipolar bounded international order. Primarily because neorealism asserts liberal unipolar international orders are doomed to fail while multipolar bounded international orders are the norm. Those being the lowest stable energy state of international order, if you will:
One might acknowledge that the liberal international order is in terminal decline, but argue that it can be replaced with a more pragmatic version, one that avoids the excesses of the post–Cold War order. This more modest liberal order would pursue a more nuanced, less aggressive approach to spreading liberal democracy, rein in hyperglobalization, and put some significant limits on the power of international institutions. The new order, according to this perspective, would look something like the Western order during the Cold War, although it would be global and liberal, not bounded and realist.

This solution is not feasible, however, because the unipolar moment is over, which means there is no chance of maintaining any kind of liberal international order for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, President Trump has no intention of pursuing a “liberal-lite” world order, and without his support, that option is a nonstarter. But even if Trump were not an obstacle and the international system were to remain unipolar, the United States would fail if it lowered its sights and attempted to construct a less ambitious liberal order. Indeed, it would end up building an agnostic international order instead. It is impossible to build a meaningful liberal global order with modest or more passive policies.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Chap wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:29 pm
Physics Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:28 pm
[...] If a machine has a brilliant design, only it doesn't work unless it's handled exactly so, then how brilliant a design really is that? Isn't it more of a foolishly unrealistic design?
You do seem, if you will pardon me saying so, to be a bit obsessed with sustaining the claim that the Russian military is hopeless in every respect. I'm not sure why that you should feel that way.
I didn't read Physics Guy saying that so much as saying the article seemed to damn with faint praise. Using the acronym as the basis for structuring his assessment, the author almost universally noted there was a meaningful counter to every positive from doctrine to training. I think that's a fair reading of the article as presented. I see PG's comment about Russian artillery superiority as a counter to the idea he is claiming the Russian military is hopeless in every respect as well.