Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

Post by huckelberry »

DrW wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:32 pm
As a kid, we lived on a farm across the Columbia River from the Hanford Atomic Works. At that time the Hanford site was “protected” from Russian bombers by a Nike missile battery. The installation included a large radar station on the top of the highest hill near the Handord site with a radome visible for many miles around. The Nikes were designed to defend against Russian bombers, and would probably have been effective. In the age of the ICBM, that Nike installation is a museum piece. ICBM technology has advanced much further than anti-ballistic missile (ABM) technology.
I should say I appreciated your thoughtful and informative post. I hope you do not mind a bit of aside brought up by your comment here. You downwinder or more north? I am only sort of remembering the radar station and trying to locate it. I cannot imagine in was atop rattlesnake mountain, the highest point around Hanford, Saddle mountain closer to the reactors?(north across the river)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:48 am
DrW wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:32 pm
As a kid, we lived on a farm across the Columbia River from the Hanford Atomic Works. At that time the Hanford site was “protected” from Russian bombers by a Nike missile battery. The installation included a large radar station on the top of the highest hill near the Handord site with a radome visible for many miles around. The Nikes were designed to defend against Russian bombers, and would probably have been effective. In the age of the ICBM, that Nike installation is a museum piece. ICBM technology has advanced much further than anti-ballistic missile (ABM) technology.
I should say I appreciated your thoughtful and informative post. I hope you do not mind a bit of aside brought up by your comment here. You downwinder or more north? I am only sort of remembering the radar station and trying to locate it. I cannot imagine in was atop rattlesnake mountain, the highest point around Hanford, Saddle mountain closer to the reactors?(north across the river)
I think there were 10 or 11 Nike Missle batteries in the Puget Sound area. About a mile up the road from my house was a control station, which has been torn down to the slab. About three miles East is the site of an old battery. Today it’sa FEMA facility. There was a battery on Cougar Mountain, which I stumbled upon some years ago while hiking.

With all the potential targets in the area, I figure either a blast or fallout would likely take me out, so I haven’t kept up on the old duck and cover drills.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:48 am
The radar station was on a hill on the opposite side of the Columbia River to the north of the Hanford site in the direction of Othello. Remember in those days it was assumed that any attack on Hanford would come from the north (via the polar route) so the Nike battery was well north of the site. (Recall the DEW line early warning radar system was built to warn against possible Russian bomber attacks coming over the north pole.)

The radome was clearly visible from pretty much any place on the Hanford site. We lived in Block 15 on the north side of the river. We had moved from the area before the "downwinder" issue came to light. The installation on Rattlesnake mountain was (is) a research observatory with a telescope.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Dr W. thanks for the memory help.Rattlesnake mountain has been returned to natural and is now considered a special native American location. I was having a faint memory of a dome type installation visible from near Othello. That would be the hills north of the river and the reactors.

I do not imagine that Hanford would be the priority target now that it once may have been. I only get rather limited comfort from that observation.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:26 pm
Just another example of how accurate William Schryver has been on his war coverage:
Will Schryver
@imetatronink
The situation around Liman appears to have taken a dramatic turn. Multiple reports of Ukraine attempting to rush reinforcements to the area from the south -- would seem to indicate the Russians have fed major reinforcements into the battle and are achieving success.
12:24 PM · Sep 30, 2022
·Twitter Web App
https://Twitter.com/imetatronink/status ... gr%5Etweet
Scrolling down, it seems that Schryver posted nothing further - not very surprising, in view of the Russian collapse that followed. The thread stops at 3 October.

Has he continued elsewhere?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The last few updates I've seen from Will have all been from DCP's Gregor Mendel playbook. "Mendel was overlooked". Russia is setting traps, playing dead, and practicing the art of deception. The more Putin loses, the more cunning the trap.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:05 am
I do not imagine that Hanford would be the priority target now that it once may have been. I only get rather limited comfort from that observation.
Personally, I'm not too concerned about the possibility of a nuclear exchange with Russia. Putin has indirectly threatened this before and nothing has come of it. Watching the news regarding Putin's annexation announcement and ceremony on TV, you saw stagecraft. The crowds, flags, chants, and nuke threats to NATO (America nuked Japan so we are justified in nuking America if necessary) were for internal consumption.

In reality, his order for mobilization and the follow-on loss of territory in Ukraine has saddled Putin with a growing credibility problem within his own country. Because of that order, far more young men have simply left Russia than are in the fight in Ukraine. In any case, Putin cannot make up for the critical Russian deficiency in military equipment, technology, troop morale, training, and modern warfighting experience with unwilling cannon fodder.

Look at what has transpired since Putin's annexation claims. They were as meaningless as the "mobilization". His forces, of which Putin is said to have taken personal command, appear to be collapsing. They have lost the important transportation hub of Lyman, and are retreating from village after village in the Kherson Oblast.

Putin is beaten on the ground, and he must know it. Winter is coming. What if his demoralized and poorly equipped forces are able to dig in and hold out until spring against accurate HIMARS fire, severed supply lines, and diminishing troop morale?

When the fighting starts again in earnest, the terrain will be crawling with new NATO equipment including HIMARS units. F-15 and F-16 jets, equipped with effective air-to-air missiles, HARM missiles, and air-launch cruise missiles piloted by Ukrainians, will be in the fight. If Putin commits his remaining combat aircraft to battle, he will lose them, leaving his other borders with weakened defenses and prolonging the war. Without air support, Russian ground troops cannot hold territory.

Recall that Putin promised for months that he would not invade Ukraine as he positioned his forces along the border to do just that. Now he is threatening to use nukes without moving them into position to do so (as far as we know - and we know a lot).

During an ABC News interview on October 2nd, David Petraeus, retired US Army General and former director of the CIA described publicly (as a hypothetical) pretty much the same kind of response to tactical nuclear weapons use by the Russians in Ukraine as was described upthread on September 27.
David Petraeus wrote: 'Just to give you a hypothetical. We would respond by leading NATO, a collective effort that would take out every Russian conventional force that we can see and identify on the battlefield in Ukraine, and also in Crimea, and every ship in the Black Sea".
ABC News Oct. 2, 2022 wrote: There's also the fact that Putin cannot launch nuclear weapons on his own. Russia's safeguards around the use of its nuclear arsenal were designed with the possibility of a power-drunk leader sitting in the Kremlin. A system of safeguards that doesn't make provision for the most dangerous scenarios could only be devised by fools — and the Russians, despite the impression they sometimes give, are not fools.
To make credible threats, one must be seen to have the capability and the will to carry them out. Putin’s lies in the recent past on the international stage, as well as the Russian force's lack of capability on the battlefield, don’t leave Putin with much credibility.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

DrW wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:53 pm
Putin is beaten on the ground, and he must know it. Winter is coming. What if his demoralized and poorly equipped forces are able to dig in and hold out until spring against accurate HIMARS fire
I think the Ukrainians are in possession of an incredibly lethal version that employs ~180,000 tungsten carbide balls, detonated above target, and are extremely lethal against soft targets, to include troops in trenches. I haven’t heard or read anything about them being used right now, but I imagine if you’re a Russian freezing his ass off in late Fall or Winter, expected to hold the line, and one of these demons are unleashed on you and your unit, that’s that. Completely and utterly demoralized.

Video of this nasty ordinance in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMPscap0_us

I hope a lot of these mobilized Russian kids surrender before it’s too late.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Bond
Star B

Post by Bond »

The main bridge between Crimea and Russia was destroyed today. Let's see how Will sells this as a good thing.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Bond wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:31 pm
The main bridge between Crimea and Russia was destroyed today. Let's see how Will sells this as a good thing.
Yup. And it was supposed to be so heavily protected that this could never happen:

Yes! Number 17 is indeed labelled 'military dolphins'.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.