Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bond
Star B

Re: Mopologist William Schryver Continues His Descent Into Madness

Post by Bond »

For anyone interested the youtube channel Kings and Generals has been doing some pretty good monthly videos about the Ukrainian invasion. For anyone who likes visuals and maps. (A great channel in general. The videos on the Hundred Years War are amazing imho).

Before the invasion and Feb/March (First phase):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBZPE9o2gHU

April:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2N_fHKrWIg

May:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-93q4GMFT0

June:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIm4mQihHdA

July:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS0D0X8V6rg

August:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hZoQ4xebGw

First half of Sept (Kherson and Kharkiv offensive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJRjKuss_Co
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

DrW wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 pm
In spite of its being the largest country on Earth geographically, Russia as a nation is highly vulnerable to nuclear attack because of the distribution of its population.

If two relatively low-yield nuclear weapons caused a militarily weakened Japan to surrender, think what the effect that two well-placed thermonuclear weapons would have on Russia.

He who lives in a glass house --.

Thanks DrW! I had no idea that so much of Russia's population was concentrated in and around Moscow. According to Wikipedia, about 40 million people live in or very close to Moscow. Over 20 million in the metropolitan area, and another 17 million residents in the immediate surrounding areas.

In fact it looks like about 70% of the Russian population is located in those two geographical areas on your map. That doesn't bode well for Russia. I would think that Putin realizes just how vulnerable Russia would be in the event of a nuclear war.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:04 am
According to Wikipedia, about 40 million people live in or very close to Moscow. Over 20 million in the metropolitan area, and another 17 million residents in the immediate surrounding areas.

In fact it looks like about 70% of the Russian population is located in those two geographical areas on your map. That doesn't bode well for Russia. I would think that Putin realizes just how vulnerable Russia would be in the event of a nuclear war.
It gets a lot worse for Putin and Russia if a nuclear exchange were to escalate from tactical to strategic. (Apologies to honorentheos and General Mattis, but the distinction is important.) As described below, ICBM (strategic) missiles commonly have multiple independently targetable warheads, meaning that targets within an approximate 50-mile radius can be more thoroughly destroyed with a single missile.

Tactical: The premier US option for a limited tactical weapon exchange is the nuclear-capable AGM-86 air-launched cruise missile (ALCM) with the venerable W80 nuclear warhead. The ALCM launch platform is the B-52, which can carry up to 20 on a mission. The AGM-86 range from launch is listed as 1,700 miles. This means that one or more B-52s could loiter well outside of Russia and Ukraine*, for as long as needed, sending in missiles with customized yield to specific targets upon request.

It is possible to adjust the yield of the W80-1 nuclear warhead from as little as 5 up to 150 kilotons (kt.). (Depending on who you ask, the yield of the Hiroshima bomb was somewhere between about 10 and 20 kt.) These capabilities, including adjustable yield, 1,700-mile range, and accuracy within tens of meters, make the US ALCM with the W80-1 a versatile and valuable tactical nuclear weapon.

Strategic nuclear weapons in the US/NATO arsenal include intercontinental ballistic missiles, land-based and submarine-launched, with multiple independent re-entry vehicle (MIRV) warheads. Advanced multiple re-entry vehicles, known as multiple adjustable re-entry vehicles (MARV)** can control their flight path using adjustable hypersonic airfoils after release. This feature allows them to maneuver to hit targets within a few hundred kilometers of the release point. The cost of deploying MIRV and MARV systems is much less than the cost of upgrading ABM defense systems to intercept multiple warheads.

An example of US strategic nuclear capability is the 14 Ohio class submarines now in service equipped with 24 Trident II missiles each. These weapons have a range of more than 12, 000 kilometers and carry either 8 or 14 thermonuclear warheads with a yield of at least 100 kilotons each. The US also has 400 land-based Minuteman III ICBMs in silos in northern midwest and mountain states.

British Chevaline warheads, used with their Polaris missile system, release chaff and decoys making it more difficult for ABM defenses to intercept. Russia has mentioned the possibility of a nuclear attack on London, by name. If he doesn't already know, Chap may be interested in the fact that the Chevaline system was developed by his country as a direct challenge to the ABM defense system deployed to protect Moscow. UK nuclear arms experts are highly confident that the Chevaline system would be able to penetrate the Moscow ABM umbrella with one or more warheads.

France should be included in the nuclear-armed NATO forces that Russia would be up against in a strategic conflict. In addition to its air-launched cruise missiles, France has four Triomphant class boomer subs. Each is armed with 16 submarine-launched nuclear missiles. These missiles constitute about 80% of French nuclear capability in terms of total yield.

*Contrary to the way that Russia has behaved occasionally in the recent past, the Black Sea is not Russia's lake. Most of it is international waters and would make a great area from which to participate in the liberation of Ukraine.

**The re-entry trajectory profile for an ICBM is well understood. Individual MARV warheads are released at different points during the re-entry phase at the best altitude and angle to allow them to proceed to their target with minimal inflight maneuvering. The US arsenal includes MARV warheads that can lock on and track a target after release.

Ukrainian Military Progress and Russain Nuke Threat Update 09/30/2022

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putin-suf ... =DDMorning
Ukrainian sources claimed that the strategic city of Lyman, which has served as a Russian military hub in Donetsk, has been encircled and supply lines cut. “Lyman! The operation to encircle the Russian group is at the stage of completion,” said Ukrainian lawmaker Oleksiy Goncharenko on Friday. The claim could not be independently verified but, if confirmed, it would be one of the most serious Russian military losses of the war so far.
Russian state television political editor Maxim Yusin warned that Putin intended to push the button on a nuclear attack in the “coming days or weeks,” adding that people should “have fun because it would be a shame to live out the remaining time with pessimism.”
Last edited by DrW on Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Bond wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:00 am
First half of Sept (Kherson and Kharkiv offensive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJRjKuss_Co
This is excellent. I’m going to subscribe to the channel, so thanks for the share.

Military map symbols for anyone who watches this channel:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

DrW wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:28 pm
UK nuclear arms experts are highly confident that the Chevaline system would be able to penetrate the Moscow ABM umbrella with one or more warheads.
Yup! ;)
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Bond
Star B

Post by Bond »

Will's latest hot take is that the US and NATO couldn't win a war against Russia.

https://imetatronink.substack.com/p/the ... in-andhtml
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Bond wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:57 pm
Will's latest hot take is that the US and NATO couldn't win a war against Russia.

One of the more inexplicable narratives included in this disinformation package has been the allegation that Russian troops are poorly trained conscripts who are thrown into the meat grinder with antique weapons, little ammo, and so little food they are literally starving

Yup. How could anyone believe in such obvious nonsense?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:03 pm
Yup. How could anyone believe in such obvious nonsense?
Only those with the need to believe, I suppose. However, back in the real world:
The brother of a draftee said: ‘My brother messaged me just now. There was a Lt Colonel walking among the newly-mobilised recruits, telling them, “you are all cannon fodder, you are facing slaughter.”

‘There was a fight, the colonel’s face was smashed. They could hardly pull the soldiers apart. Two ambulances rushed there in one hour.’

Reports said the unnamed high ranking officer’s face was ‘all smashed’ with broken bones.

The brother also revealed this has not been he only incident at the makeshift barracks, with some recruits trying to escape and others fearing more violence.
https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/30/russian- ... -17479835/

There’s a video of conscripts who were dumped at a fighting position, still in their civilian clothes with no food, no weapons, and no leadership to be seen. There are thousands of videos verifying the truth of the Russian logistics situation. William “Moscow” Schryver knows this, but he loves having a Twitter following more than being honorable.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Grotesque. And unfortunately one of the perils of Mopologetics. Not saying it is an inevitable outcome of Mopologetics, but it seems Bill the Scribbler succumbed.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Bond wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:57 pm

Delusional at best. It clearly looks as though he has lost his objectivity here. Sure we can win a war with Russia and I would guess that we would win, perhaps at a great cost, but we would certainly have a really good chance at winning a war with Russia. I think Putin knows this all too well and it's why I believe that he retreated to defensive positions, calling for negotiations while seeking to defend his newly captured territory. It's why he is threatening nukes.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.