Gold Shovels at Temple groundbreaking events.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Re: Gold Shovels at Temple groundbreaking events.

Post by msnobody »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:38 pm
msnobody wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Is Mark 43:23 and Philippians 15:9 in the LWV version of the Bible?
LWV? msnobody, google knows only league of women voters.
Perhaps you are referring to the long winded version of the Bible where every thing is expanded to match modern aspirations?
Maybe the Lost 116 Pages weren't really lost. Maybe they are the 116 Misplaced Pages found in Mark 43 and Philippians 15.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Not gold shovels, but yellow. Another ground breaking for a new temple recently.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/8/23 ... -the-congo

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:15 am

Not gold shovels, but yellow. Another ground breaking for a new temple recently.

Regards,
MG
So, African temples get yellow shovels and American temples get gold ones. Glad that’s sorted.

Seriously, article cited by the OP says nothing about gold shovels. The shovels shown in the photo appear to be painted a gold color, but that’s a far cry from a gold shovel. There are online ads for ceremonial groundbreaking shovels. The shovels shown in the photo resemble ones for sale described as “gold painted.” They don’t appear to me to be shiny enough to be even “gold plated.” And I didn’t see any advertised as made of gold, which would be pretty goofy for digging and lots more expensive than the ads I saw.

I’m not convinced that the photo shows “gold shovels.”
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I am certain the shovels aren’t gold, or gold plated. Gold is expensive and soft - makes a terrible instrument for digging in rocky earth.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:12 am
I am certain the shovels aren’t gold, or gold plated. Gold is expensive and soft - makes a terrible instrument for digging in rocky earth.
i think you're right.
Perks Auto Body & Customs is at Perks Auto Body & Customs.
· Clearfield, UT ·

We are honored that we were asked to paint the gold shovels for the LDS Syracuse Temple ground breaking ceremony. We love cool projects that support our community.
[may 2021]
https://www.Facebook.com/SyracuseUtahTemple/
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:30 am
Dr Moore wrote:
i think you're right.
· Clearfield, UT ·

We are honored that we were asked to paint the gold shovels for the LDS Syracuse Temple ground breaking ceremony. We love cool projects that support our community.
[may 2021]
Good find.
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Real gold will be reserved for the Temple executive bathroom fixtures. Extravagance for the Lord must be limited to necessary use.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:56 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:15 am

Regards,
MG
So, African temples get yellow shovels and American temples get gold ones. Glad that’s sorted.

Seriously, article cited by the opening post says nothing about gold shovels. The shovels shown in the photo appear to be painted a gold color, but that’s a far cry from a gold shovel. There are online ads for ceremonial groundbreaking shovels. The shovels shown in the photo resemble ones for sale described as “gold painted.” They don’t appear to me to be shiny enough to be even “gold plated.” And I didn’t see any advertised as made of gold, which would be pretty goofy for digging and lots more expensive than the ads I saw.

If the shovels were painted red, they would be described as Red Shovels. They’re gold in colour, therefore Gold Shovels is an accurate description. Nowhere did I state or make the claim that they were made from gold. The point in the OP is about having a special moments for a select few. Stop splitting unnecessary hairs.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:30 am
Dr Moore wrote:
i think you're right.
· Clearfield, UT ·

[may 2021]
In what way do the gold shovels support the community?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:56 am

Seriously, article cited by the opening post says nothing about gold shovels. The shovels shown in the photo appear to be painted a gold color, but that’s a far cry from a gold shovel. There are online ads for ceremonial groundbreaking shovels. The shovels shown in the photo resemble ones for sale described as “gold painted.” They don’t appear to me to be shiny enough to be even “gold plated.” And I didn’t see any advertised as made of gold, which would be pretty goofy for digging and lots more expensive than the ads I saw.

If the shovels were painted red, they would be described as Red Shovels. They’re gold in colour, therefore Gold Shovels is an accurate description. Nowhere did I state or make the claim that they were made from gold. The point in the opening post is about having a special moments for a select few. Stop splitting unnecessary hairs.
Given the context, I don't think the distinction between "gold shovels" and "gold painted shovels" is hair splitting. The use of ceremonial shovels for ground breaking ceremonies is a very common tradition. As shown in MG 2.0's photo, the children in Africa at a temple groundbreaking ceremony are also using ceremonial shovels. You chose to emphasize the "gold" part in a way that, in my opinion, was misleading.
he/him