Gold Shovels at Temple groundbreaking events.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Gold Shovels at Temple groundbreaking events.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:45 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:36 pm

You folks...
:roll:
"
it would be interesting to see how a Mormon temple "blesses lives." i feel like clean, available water would bless their lives more.

it still rankles that this happened, in 2018.
...Elder Andersen said the significance of the meeting with Vice President Mohadi was to “express to him our desire to help improve Zimbabwe.” He noted that Vice President Mohadi had made a specific request for support with the development of clean-water wells in more remote areas of Zimbabwe.

“We want to help in every way we can,” said Elder Andersen. “We are not a wealthy people but we are good people, and we share what we have,” he added.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190429193 ... es-support
bolded to note the lie.
Yeah, that one was pretty awful.

If it was me, I’d vote for clean water, too. But if I were a believing LDS person, I’d consider the opportunity to attend the temple and perform ordinances for the dead to be a blessing. The whole concept of “blessing” is pretty subjective to me. 🤷
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Who needs clean water when you can just pay tithing?

“Only [LDS] tithing will break the cycle of poverty.” - Nelson
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:57 am
Who needs clean water when you can just pay tithing?

“Only [LDS] tithing will break the cycle of poverty.” - Nelson
And get rid of that filthy dowery. Only tithing to us grants the heavens to open up prosperity blessings.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:47 am
On the other hand, if Jesus were on the groundbreaking planning committee and someone said, “hey Jesus, how about we drop $100 each on eight or ten of these nifty souvenir shovels, I could totally see him saying “spend the $800 on the poor. We can take the soil in our hands and joyfully dedicate it to God. Seek not earthly souvenirs, but store your treasure in heaven “

Yeah, I can totally see that.

I think that what you have to wrestle with was that Jesus was highly critical of religious folks who focused on wealth and trappings. His charge was pretty explicit: take care of the poor. And his teachings are pretty antithetical to the notion of a church that sits on and accumulates a massive amount of wealth in the face of tremendous poverty and suffering. You can do as much gymnastics as you like — I think there’s a circle there that cannot be squared. I don’t get the impression that Jesus was a gymnastics fan.
You’ve articulated the intended point of my OP very well. Better than I did. Less tabloid.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:45 am
"
it would be interesting to see how a Mormon temple "blesses lives." i feel like clean, available water would bless their lives more.
Well, of course you would feel that way, Marcus. You’re an atheist, aren’t you?

The LDS Church is on board with their own ‘clean water’ initiatives along with those sponsored by a whole host of well meaning people and organizations.

https://philanthropies.churchofjesuschr ... lean-water

You and I can also do our part.

Here is a humanitarian effort my wife and I have contributed to for years:

https://www.wateraid.org/us/

If you’re not doing anything, this is a good place to start.

Better than griping. 😉

If you’re already doing something…awesome! There is a great need for each of us, including religious organizations, to help those that can’t help themselves.

This work can happen without having to curtail the building of temples of the Lord throughout the world.

Ever heard of walking and chewing gum at the same time? 😄

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

You don’t have to be an atheist to think temples are a waste of money. The 1 billion Catholics and 2 billion Muslims don’t believe that Mormon temples accomplish anything either.

Some argue that the Catholic Church spends too much money on cathedrals. But at least those are open to the public…

The Mormon church’s buildings have more in common with Scientology than any well established religion.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:47 pm
You don’t have to be an atheist to think temples are a waste of money. The 1 billion Catholics and 2 billion Muslims don’t believe that Mormon temples accomplish anything either.
Well then, you’re in good company, right? 😉

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s just worth remembering that the majority of the world lives as if Mormonism doesn’t even exist. The Mormon belief that wearing costumes in an expensive secret building is saving all those people is… well… a bit silly when looked at from the outside. To say the least.

Imagine Scientologists telling you that they’re saving your soul in secret in rituals that they do in the basement of their headquarters in Los Angeles. Your response would be the same, “well ok then.”
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:56 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:15 am

Not gold shovels, but yellow. Another ground breaking for a new temple recently.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/8/23 ... -the-congo

Regards,
MG
So, African temples get yellow shovels and American temples get gold ones. Glad that’s sorted.

Seriously, article cited by the opening post says nothing about gold shovels. The shovels shown in the photo appear to be painted a gold color, but that’s a far cry from a gold shovel. There are online ads for ceremonial groundbreaking shovels. The shovels shown in the photo resemble ones for sale described as “gold painted.” They don’t appear to me to be shiny enough to be even “gold plated.” And I didn’t see any advertised as made of gold, which would be pretty goofy for digging and lots more expensive than the ads I saw.

I’m not convinced that the photo shows “gold shovels.”
But did anyone really think the shovels were gold? Just like with those showers, it’s not molten gold that I’m bathing in. I know what it is.

Maybe I should nap and slumber instead.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

toon wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:01 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:56 am

So, African temples get yellow shovels and American temples get gold ones. Glad that’s sorted.

Seriously, article cited by the opening post says nothing about gold shovels. The shovels shown in the photo appear to be painted a gold color, but that’s a far cry from a gold shovel. There are online ads for ceremonial groundbreaking shovels. The shovels shown in the photo resemble ones for sale described as “gold painted.” They don’t appear to me to be shiny enough to be even “gold plated.” And I didn’t see any advertised as made of gold, which would be pretty goofy for digging and lots more expensive than the ads I saw.

I’m not convinced that the photo shows “gold shovels.”
But did anyone really think the shovels were gold? Just like with those showers, it’s not molten gold that I’m bathing in. I know what it is.
From the headline, I assumed they were at least gold plated. Only after I looked carefully at the photos and did some googling did I conclude they were most likely just painted a gold color.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.