Backyard Professor Sunday School Now!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Backyard Professor Sunday School Now!

Post by huckelberry »

Philo, I enjoyed your presentation though I kind of like your outdoor presentations as special setting.

As this is a discussion board I found myself wondering if there was material to discuss. Perhaps too many points to find an easy starting point. It has been a long time since I read any Alan Watts, perhaps I will look again. I enjoy Gary Snyder, poet who shares the Zen background.

At this time I have a simple comment. I remember several comments that at face value are silly or absurd but at least possibly have a meaning to be looked for that is not the odd face value one. I think I remember the examples, That we are individuals in a shell is an illusion is an example. Individuation is a mystery but seems a bedrock aspect of being human. "Jesus realized his identity with God so I can do the same" I suppose it is too easy to think of ways in which I am not god or at least some meanings of the word god. I can imagine the phrase is an invitation to consider other meanings.

There was a point of overlap with traditional Christianity, "God is inward ,to close to be an object."
huckelberry
God

Re: Backyard Professor Sunday School Now!

Post by huckelberry »

cont. I always thought Sunday school was time for questions and discussion.

I think it is clear that Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is an excellent treatise on this subject.

"we were talking abut the space between us all
and he people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
Never glimpse the truth then its far to late when they pass away.
We were talking about the love we all could share when we find it
to try our best to hold it there with our love
With our love we could save the world if they only knew.
Try to realize its all within yourself no-one else can make you change
And to see you are really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you. ...

I think it is a plus that the preaching also includes Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

I think it is possible that western philosophy and Christian tradition over focus on the separate individual. An awareness of spirit that involves the shared dimensions of being a human might help people do a better job of caring for each other. It could help people move away from fear and a sense of meaninglessness.

I did appreciate the proposal in the Sunday school lesson that Christian tradition may focus on praising Jesus to a degree that forgets his e invitation of Jesus to share. I think he did tell people to look within them selves to learn.