Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

Post by Binger »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:55 am
Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:30 am
This story was never solid and should never ever have been taken at face/media value.
Yet it rang so true to what everyone knows about historical BYU.
No, Moksha. It rang so asinine to what anyone with any common sense knows about people and the media.

It did not ring so true about anything because it was not true.
Binger
God

Re:[Hoax] Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

Post by Binger »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-AA11kaPq

Philo, prepare your apology. It is coming.

This is was so %^&%^$#$% obvious to anyone that this was a complete hoax and a sham.

This is not the only hoax and sham that suckered the media to go all-in. It will not be the last. Why? BECAUSE IT WORKS! Look at this thread. Look at the OP. Look at the title which remains unaltered. It works. These shams work.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Re:[Hoax] Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

Post by dastardly stem »

Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:50 pm

This is was so %^&%^$#$% obvious to anyone that this was a complete hoax and a sham.

This is not the only hoax and sham that suckered the media to go all-in. It will not be the last. Why? BECAUSE IT WORKS! Look at this thread. Look at the opening post. Look at the title which remains unaltered. It works. These shams work.
My God, settle down. Its just a fact, we don't know. We can't get all worked up over a hoax if we don't know. Sure, it sounds like there was no racism. And that may be likely. Its true this volleyball player could have made it up, for some reason. It's also quite possible, she plain misheard in the cacophony of noises. She misstook someone approaching her after the game...All of that. None of that makes it a hoax. That little link you gave offered no new information. So we're still in the same place.

I'm sticking with my earlier assessment--I don't think anything racist happened. It appears a few things were misinterpreted. It appears she was taken aback by the level of aggressiveness of the BYU crowd and misheard, which caused her concern level to be raised and as the intensity continued she thought she heard it again. That kind of thing is very easy to convince ourselves of.

It'd be hard to be one of very few black people in a noisy crowd where some appear hostile. It'd be easy to feel picked out or zeroed in on. Being young, perhaps developing your mindset in the atmosphere of these past couple of years could certainly heighten the concern and worry.

I will also say, if there was anything untoward said or done, it appears they got the wrong guy. And it appears that would be Duke players and coaches who singled him out.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

Post by Dr Exiled »

Yeah, Binger, you need to settle down a bit. You are accusing people here of jumping to a conclusion while doing the same thing - jumping to a conclusion that it just had to be a hoax.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Re:[Hoax] Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

Post by Res Ipsa »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:08 pm
Binger wrote:

This is not the only hoax and sham that suckered the media to go all-in. It will not be the last. Why? BECAUSE IT WORKS! Look at this thread. Look at the opening post. Look at the title which remains unaltered. It works. These shams work.
My God, settle down. Its just a fact, we don't know. We can't get all worked up over a hoax if we don't know. Sure, it sounds like there was no racism. And that may be likely. Its true this volleyball player could have made it up, for some reason. It's also quite possible, she plain misheard in the cacophony of noises. She misstook someone approaching her after the game...All of that. None of that makes it a hoax. That little link you gave offered no new information. So we're still in the same place.

I'm sticking with my earlier assessment--I don't think anything racist happened. It appears a few things were misinterpreted. It appears she was taken aback by the level of aggressiveness of the BYU crowd and misheard, which caused her concern level to be raised and as the intensity continued she thought she heard it again. That kind of thing is very easy to convince ourselves of.

It'd be hard to be one of very few black people in a noisy crowd where some appear hostile. It'd be easy to feel picked out or zeroed in on. Being young, perhaps developing your mindset in the atmosphere of these past couple of years could certainly heighten the concern and worry.

I will also say, if there was anything untoward said or done, it appears they got the wrong guy. And it appears that would be Duke players and coaches who singled him out.
I'm confused on that last point. Was the guy identified as the person allegedly shouting epithets from the crowd? Because I thought I read that the Duke staff/players could not identify who was allegedly shouting. Or was he identified as the person who approached the Duke player after the game? Because
I thought he admitted that he approached her, albeit due to mistaken identity.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:14 pm

I'm confused on that last point. Was the guy identified as the person allegedly shouting epithets from the crowd? Because I thought I read that the Duke staff/players could not identify who was allegedly shouting. Or was he identified as the person who approached the Duke player after the game? Because
I thought he admitted that he approached her, albeit due to mistaken identity.
I might be relying too heavily on the des News article which says:
Soon after, the BYU administrator in charge of the event approached the young man and told him that Duke coaches and players said he was the fan who called the players the N-word.
https://www.deseret.com/2022/8/31/23330 ... volleyball

I don't know how else he was singled out.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:13 pm
Yeah, Binger, you need to settle down a bit. You are accusing people here of jumping to a conclusion while doing the same thing - jumping to a conclusion that it just had to be a hoax.
I will settle down when Shades changes my mormondiscussions name to Doctor Binger. Fair?

It was a hoax. That is the difference here.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Y'all need to just settle down and stop blaming this on the Deseret News.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Binger wrote:

This is not the only hoax and sham that suckered the media to go all-in. It will not be the last. Why? BECAUSE IT WORKS! Look at this thread. Look at the OP. Look at the title which remains unaltered. It works. These shams work.
And Richardson’s godmother, who started the whole controversy? She locked her Twitter account after people discovered her history of racist tweets directed at white people. She also happens to be running for office in Texas
What’s going on here?

Eta:

The godmother wasn’t even at the game?

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Just riding the small tide of speculation…

… but, it could be the young man did indeed approach the Duke player angrily, after being shadowed by an officer, and being told they accused him of saying racist crap.

--------------------

I’m certainly guilty of jumping to the conclusion of guilt on all accounts (by BYU, and fans). Definitely a learning moment.

Still not sure what to think, but it’s not as black and white (really not sure what idiom works here that isn’t a pun) as I assumed. Given the timeline (where officials were notified during the game), I have no reason to believe it was made up after the fact as some sort of hoax. I believe she genuinely thought/thinks she heard slurs, and I believe she genuinely feared for her safety.

The history of BYU, Utah, and Mormonism provided a ready-made opportunity for it to be latched onto, and for the flames to be fanned.