Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

Post by Binger »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:47 pm

The history of BYU, Utah, and Mormonism provided a ready-made opportunity for it to be latched onto, and for the flames to be fanned.
I would like to discuss this aspect of it in more detail at some point.

I went to BYU. I am from Utah. I have a large family in Utah. I am a resigned member of that damn disgraceful Church, but I am from a line of Mormons that built Utah and walked across this continent.

What just happened here [in this forum] is happening to people that have jobs with a history, watch sports with a history, grew up in a specific region, went to schools with histories and do not meet the profile that is assigned by association. Welcome to America.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Duke Player Was Barraged With Racial Slurs And Threats Of Harm The Entire Game Against BYU

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Just riding the small tide of speculation…

… but, it could be the young man did indeed approach the Duke player angrily, after being shadowed by an officer, and being told they accused him of saying racist crap.

--------------------

I’m certainly guilty of jumping to the conclusion of guilt on all accounts (by BYU, and fans). Definitely a learning moment.
Fresh air.

That’s one person owning up.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:44 am
Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:27 am
Looks like the “he” that I have been asking about has been cleared. Looks like this was sorta a hoax.

Will Philo and CNN and ESPN be issuing apologies and retractions?
The reaction of the Athletic Director of BYU makes no sense if this is all phony. No reason for me to provide apologies yet. I will if it is proven fake however, no problem and no worries.
Additional insight for you.

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2022/8/ ... a-new-view

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Just riding the small tide of speculation…

… but, it could be the young man did indeed approach the Duke player angrily, after being shadowed by an officer, and being told they accused him of saying racist crap.

--------------------

I’m certainly guilty of jumping to the conclusion of guilt on all accounts (by BYU, and fans). Definitely a learning moment.

Still not sure what to think, but it’s not as black and white (really not sure what idiom works here that isn’t a pun) as I assumed. Given the timeline (where officials were notified during the game), I have no reason to believe it was made up after the fact as some sort of hoax. I believe she genuinely thought/thinks she heard slurs, and I believe she genuinely feared for her safety.

The history of BYU, Utah, and Mormonism provided a ready-made opportunity for it to be latched onto, and for the flames to be fanned.
well said, dr. steuss. Re what i bolded, you make a great point about the timeline.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:02 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:

I would like to discuss this aspect of it in more detail at some point.

I went to BYU. I am from Utah. I have a large family in Utah. I am a resigned member of that damn disgraceful Church, but I am from a line of Mormons that built Utah and walked across this continent.

What just happened here [in this forum] is happening to people that have jobs with a history, watch sports with a history, grew up in a specific region, went to schools with histories and do not meet the profile that is assigned by association. Welcome to America.
Most people are familiar with the fact that the NCAA threat to BYU sports in the 1970s was the precipitating reason Mormons started treating black people equally. Just like the federal threat in the 1800s was the reason for the end of polygamy. And the LGBT movement ended the basement torture conversion sessions.

You simply cannot deny that BYU/Mormonism has an absolutely disgraceful track record, worse than any other American university/religion.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:56 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:44 am

The reaction of the Athletic Director of BYU makes no sense if this is all phony. No reason for me to provide apologies yet. I will if it is proven fake however, no problem and no worries.
Additional insight for you.

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2022/8/ ... a-new-view

Regards,
MG
From the article MG didn’t read:
What is clear

I believe the account of Rachel Richardson about the verbal abuse of her and Duke team members at the Smith Fieldhouse. We need to respect that.
- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:27 am
Here’s Richardson’s two service sets:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=6121&v=m7 ... e=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/m7yU_Lx-H28?t=7220

Please let the board know if you hear anything. I didn’t.

- Doc
Thanks Doc. This doesn't necessarily help, in either direction, unless we know where the microphones were positioned.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:21 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:27 am
Here’s Richardson’s two service sets:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=6121&v=m7 ... e=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/m7yU_Lx-H28?t=7220

Please let the board know if you hear anything. I didn’t.

- Doc
Thanks Doc. This doesn't necessarily help, in either direction, unless we know where the microphones were positioned.
That has an guilty til proven innocent ring. Is that your intent? I doubt it is.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

The police incident report is posted here: https://www.outkick.com/wp-content/uplo ... ecords.pdf
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:26 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:21 pm

That has an guilty til proven innocent ring. Is that your intent? I doubt it is.
Only in your imagination. It’s exactly the kind of comment someone who is interested in genuinely assessing the evidence would make. It says nothing about a presumption of guilt or innocence.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.