BYU Now Requires All New Hires To Waive Their Right To Clergy Confidentiality

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: BYU Now Requires All New Hires To Waive Their Right To Clergy Confidentiality

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:53 am
The bishop's warning of "Everything you say can and will be used against you" should be sufficient. "If you cannot afford an alternative God, one will be appointed for you, tithing free, from the Council of God. Do you understand these LDS rights?"
:lol:
MetaProf
Nursery

Re: BYU Now Requires All New Hires To Waive Their Right To Clergy Confidentiality

Post by MetaProf »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:53 am
Orwellian. So glad I never got a job there.
Indeed. I visited and interviewed for a faculty position there about 20 years ago. It went well, but afterwards I followed up with an email to the Chair asking if a current temple recommend was required for employment. I never heard back - not even a reply email confirming. Not very professional of them, but the right move. I'm happy to not have experienced employment there.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MetaProf wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:18 pm
Indeed. I visited and interviewed for a faculty position there about 20 years ago. It went well, but afterwards I followed up with an email to the Chair asking if a current temple recommend was required for employment. I never heard back - not even a reply email confirming. Not very professional of them, but the right move. I'm happy to not have experienced employment there.
That is terribly unprofessional. I could tell my own stories about the unprofessionalism I experienced, but I don't want to hurt the feelings of people I care about.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:11 pm
This has not been a good week for BYU.
We’ll see. It could flip. Duke could end up with mud on their face. We’ll have to take a ‘wait see’.

You started off the other thread jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts and what would come out.
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:03 pm
At a time when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is vociferously defending abusers’ right to clergy confidentiality for their confessions, it is quietly requiring Brigham Young University’s new hires to give up theirs.

How exactly can a biology professor, calculus teacher or bowling instructor teach their academic subjects “bathed in the light and color of the restored gospel”? And what does it mean if they question that they should? Could employees who question scriptural historicity or undergoing a faith crisis talk to their bishops without being worried about job security?

And what if new hires disagree with the church’s position on, say, same-sex marriage? Apostles have said it is OK for members to have divergent opinions on the issue, but apparently not BYU employees.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/byu-r ... r-AA11bR9E

The church is sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. They have chosen the route of doing everything necessary to ‘keep the vessel clean’. Challenging times require comparatively extreme methods to do so.

One thing for sure, those that hire on at BYU and CES know that the ante has been upped.

And if they believe in accountability to the Lord they will think twice as they go through the hiring process.

Or they will lie. But that creates its own set of problems as time goes on. Usually things come out.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:30 am
So the clergy penitent privilege applies when it’s awkward for the Church, but can and must be breached when it suits the Church…
Bottom line.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:54 am
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:30 am
So the clergy penitent privilege applies when it’s awkward for the Church, but can and must be breached when it suits the Church…
Bottom line.
QFT.
The double standard may not be a deliberate contradiction, but it’s existence nonetheless betrays the church’s true loyalty. A Skull above any other.