BYU Now Requires All New Hires To Waive Their Right To Clergy Confidentiality

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

BYU Now Requires All New Hires To Waive Their Right To Clergy Confidentiality

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

This has not been a good week for BYU.
At a time when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is vociferously defending abusers’ right to clergy confidentiality for their confessions, it is quietly requiring Brigham Young University’s new hires to give up theirs.

How exactly can a biology professor, calculus teacher or bowling instructor teach their academic subjects “bathed in the light and color of the restored gospel”? And what does it mean if they question that they should? Could employees who question scriptural historicity or undergoing a faith crisis talk to their bishops without being worried about job security?

And what if new hires disagree with the church’s position on, say, same-sex marriage? Apostles have said it is OK for members to have divergent opinions on the issue, but apparently not BYU employees.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/byu-r ... r-AA11bR9E
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Re: BYU Now Requires All New Hires To Waive Their Right To Clergy Confidentiality

Post by Philo Sofee »

The Matrix continues tightening its noose around necks of its slaves, as I described a week ago demonstrating Mormonism is the nigh perfect example of the Matrix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUM2ny3O_P0
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: BYU Now Requires All New Hires To Waive Their Right To Clergy Confidentiality

Post by Dr Moore »

I hope everyone realizes what this means.

No BYU professor will ever make an honest, full confession of sin to their bishops.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:39 pm
I hope everyone realizes what this means.

No BYU professor will ever make an honest, full confession of sin to their bishops.
It realistically never happens anyway, but the morg loves to continue believing they have inspiration on all levels of leadership. It isn't have you sinned anymore, it is more like, were you careful so as not to be seen or caught?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Professor Benjamin Park weighs in:
Benjamin Park wrote:The same week the LDS Church is defending its right for bishop confidentiality when dealing with abusers, they reaffirm the lack of confidentiality for BYU employees. The contrast is as bad as it seems.

https://Twitter.com/BenjaminEPark/statu ... gr%5Etweet
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Orwellian. So glad I never got a job there.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The bishop's warning of "Everything you say can and will be used against you" should be sufficient. "If you cannot afford an alternative God, one will be appointed for you, tithing free, from the Council of God. Do you understand these LDS rights?"
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:53 am
The bishop's warning of "Everything you say can and will be used against you" should be sufficient. "If you cannot afford an alternative God, one will be appointed for you, tithing free, from the Council of God. Do you understand these LDS rights?"
What Bishop said that?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

So the clergy penitent privilege applies when it’s awkward for the Church, but can and must be breached when it suits the Church…

Is being two-faced one of the hallmarks of an organisation led by Christ?
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

I'm guessing since it won't really change anything this double standard will be allowed to exist, but push comes to shove Kirton McConkie is going to get their way over CES.