Dowsing and spirituality

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Dowsing and spirituality

Post by Rivendale »

This is a great example of dowsing and why people think it works. Not only that but it explains a host of misconceptions about spirituality and why people think it is real. https://youtu.be/CLB69EPPfGI?t=4578. Sean Carroll also debunks spiritual particles interacting with physical matter https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/Brian Laundrie ... -the-soul/. His relevant quotes might promote discussion among believers.
Very roughly speaking, when most people think about an immaterial soul that persists after death, they have in mind some sort of blob of spirit energy that takes up residence near our brain, and drives around our body like a soccer mom driving an SUV. The questions are these: what form does that spirit energy take, and how does it interact with our ordinary atoms? Not only is new physics required, but dramatically new physics. Within QFT, there can’t be a new collection of “spirit particles” and “spirit forces” that interact with our regular atoms, because we would have detected them in existing experiments. Ockham’s razor is not on your side here, since you have to posit a completely new realm of reality obeying very different rules than the ones we know.
So is there immaterial influences that we just have not discovered? Daniel Peterson has an opinion
I found water running through a buried pipe of which I was unaware. I didn't even know I was looking for anything.
I was simply told to allow the two metal rods free play.
They crossed at a certain point, then uncrossed. It was very distinct.
Only after repeating that several times was I told that a clay pipe ran under the floor right where the rods crossed.
I had several other people undertake the same experiment throughout that day. With one exception, they all had the same experience. (The one exception was a big burly mechanic with huge hands. I suspect that he didn't allow the rods free enough movement.)
I wasn't expecting what happened. Nothing in my worldview predicted it. It didn't fit my scientific notions, and nothing in my beliefs depended on it happening.
Yet it happened.
I found it very strange and unsettling.

And a video here https://youtu.be/gylaYQ04PIk?t=246

Did Daniel leave out something? According to the video by Gospel Tangents Dr. Jesse James claims that most dowsing experiments work because they watch someone do it first.
drumdude
God

Re: Dowsing and spirituality

Post by drumdude »

Daniel’s account of his dousing experience demonstrated to me that he has a very uncritical mind. He doesn’t want to test his theories. He was given, apparently, a gift and an opportunity to test that gift and probe it with something like a blind test to see if it’s real and investigate how it works.

Instead, he was satisfied to just assume it was real through his feelings and not conduct any validation of it. It’s almost as if he subconsciously worried it would all fall apart once he poked at it. I think he has the same fear with Mormonism. He never looks at it too critically, lest it all fall apart as well.

Those of us who have been able to look critically at our beliefs have been given a gift much more valuable than dousing.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Funny how dowsing, like a Ouija board, doesn't work when one tries it blindfolded.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

If Daniel believes in his dousing ability, why isn’t he in the drought plagued parts of Africa finding much needed water for the thirsty, rather than gallivanting around the globe writing snippets of self aggrandisement?