Mormon Royalty and child homicide

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Mormon Royalty and child homicide

Post by Dr Exiled »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:49 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:30 am

It has to be tough for her (grandma cardon), however, I wonder what happened the night of the event. What did she know and what was her decision-making process? What was her level of participation in this? Was there a commitment to cover this up? Is there guilt she has for participating in this? Is this why she wants to turn this into something supposedly faith promoting where God was involved? From the evidence given in the CPS report, it seems clear that everyone knew or probably had a good idea what happened. How special needs was the little boy and how was he as a toddler? I remember difficult times dealing with toddlers and sometimes people just lose it. That doesn't justify the behavior and Hana needs to explain a lot and perhaps face some prison time. It's simply a sad story all around.
Sad story indeed. I’d like to know the rationale for not prosecuting Hana. It’s seems odd to me, which makes me wonder if there aren’t important facts we don’t have access to. Absent those kinds of facts, I think she should have been tried. I completely agree that sometimes people lose it and that doesn’t justify the behavior.

As for the events of that night, I suspect there’s no way to know. If the authorities had probable cause to charge the grandmother, they could have done that. If I’m understanding correctly, she wasn’t in the room when it happened and wouldn’t have first-hand knowledge. There are lots of interesting questions one could ask, but I’m not sure what the point of dragging the grandmother through the whole thing is.
My question is what grandma did once she knew what happened. When did she find out and was it during the 50 or so mins between the act and when Hana went alone to the hospital. Why did Hana go alone? Was there a decision to send her alone because she committed the obvious abuse? What were the discussions involved, if any, during the 50 or so mins? Perhaps she had limited involvement to the tragedy and dragging her through it again is unfair. Even so, why does she continue to bring it up? Does she know something and did she cover it up? But, we'll probably never know unless someone, perhaps if there is a divorce, speaks out.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
sheri
Nursery

Post by sheri »

:LDS women are discouraged from having the ability to 'discern facts'. I guess that is why they only talk about 'their feelings'. Facts aren't feelings and feelings aren't facts. Move on, nothing to see here.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

No one "dragged the grandma through the whole thing."

If she hadn't used this as a faith promoting story, i doubt it would be an issue. Sadly, because someone should be held accountable.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I think anyone who is of grandparently age is extremely lucky if they haven't experienced tragedy and trauma in their life. Death of a child, I suspect, is high up on the tragedy and trauma scale. When my older sister was a year old, my grandfather accidentally backed over her in his truck and killed her. My mother was pregnant with me at the time. Growing up, I saw the scars that left on my mother. And I know it was something my grandfather never got over.

I'd like to think my mother could publicly talk about her grief and how she was able to face the responsibility of raising another child so soon after this tragedy without a bunch of strangers publicly trying to hold her accountable for the death of her child without knowing the facts of the accident. Apparently, "holding accountable" is some kind of excuse for folks who get off on attempting to inflict pain on others based on ignorance and speculation.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:06 am

If she hadn't used this as a faith promoting story, i doubt it would be an issue. Sadly, because someone should be held accountable.
And by “held accountable” I am referring to the homicide ruling:
The Orange County Sherriff's Office investigated the death of Derek Cordon (16­ 111490). On December 9, 2016, Hana Cordon was arrested and charged with Aggravated Child Abuse. No additional charges were filed against the mother and the State Attorney is not pursuing the Aggravated Child Abuse charge.

On December 12, 2016, District Nine Chief Medical Examiner Joshua Stephany, M.D., completed an autopsy of Derek Cordon. ME# 2016-001851.

Cause of Death: Blunt Head and Neck Trauma

Manner of Death: Homicide
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:39 pm
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:06 am

And by “held accountable” I am referring to the homicide ruling:
The Orange County Sherriff's Office investigated the death of Derek Cordon (16­ 111490). On December 9, 2016, Hana Cordon was arrested and charged with Aggravated Child Abuse. No additional charges were filed against the mother and the State Attorney is not pursuing the Aggravated Child Abuse charge.

On December 12, 2016, District Nine Chief Medical Examiner Joshua Stephany, M.D., completed an autopsy of Derek Cordon. ME# 2016-001851.

Cause of Death: Blunt Head and Neck Trauma

Manner of Death: Homicide
So, by sharing the story of how she overcame personal grief and trauma, she was asking for the public dragging she received by critics?
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:41 pm
So, by sharing the story of how she overcame personal grief and trauma, she was asking for the public dragging she received by critics?
Asked and answered.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:24 am
…The church should really do some serious fact checking in these faith promoting anecdotes. Someone should have had the wisdom to steer her away from using her grandson’s death in this manner….
[bolding and color added.]
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:57 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:41 pm
Asked and answered.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:24 am
…The church should really do some serious fact checking in these faith promoting anecdotes. Someone should have had the wisdom to steer her away from using her grandson’s death in this manner….
[bolding and color added.]
No amount of bolding and color can change the fact that you posted a snippet from my post, omitting the part where I actually "answered." It was the very next sentence:
Res Ipsa wrote:
I feel nothing but compassion for the grandmother, and dragging her back through a tragic and hideous event seems unnecessarily cruel to me. I truly don’t get it. 😥
Do you think the grandmother was asking for the public dragging she received by critics?
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Given this:

Why would grandma speak publicly about in an attempt to make it a faith promoting moment? It’s bizarre, tactless, and invites scrutiny.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:34 pm
Given this:

Why would grandma speak publicly about in an attempt to make it a faith promoting moment? It’s bizarre, tactless, and invites scrutiny.

- Doc
I disagree. Her story did not promote the death as faith promoting. The "faith promoting" part was that she had an assignment at Primary Children's Hospital, which I think any of us would have found traumatic following the death of a grandchild. She felt "prompted" go even though she didn't feel she could. She found that going helped her heal.

People have all kinds of ways to resolve trauma. One of them is talking about things that helped them keep going in horrible circumstances. Even if her son had publicly confessed to killing the child, would that make the death any less traumatic? Would changing the words of the story to "after my son murdered my grandson..." have changed the story she told in any sort of material way?

I don't find it at all bizarre or tactless for people to talk publicly about overcoming trauma in their lives, regardless of the nature of the trauma. And I disagree that dragging by an internet mob has anything to do with "scrutiny."
he/him