Mormon Royalty and child homicide

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Mormon Royalty and child homicide

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:12 pm
I think if your grandfather conducted a national broadcast to shill on behalf of the Mormon corporation it’d be very different from sharing his story, probably with a degree of confidentiality, with some loved ones. The former act would make me feel greasy, while the latter would feel personal, although maybe not welcome if he knew I wasn’t a believer and it was my kid.

We’re also talking about a murder versus an accident. Peas and carrots and all that, so I’m not sure there’s much of a moral nor ethical connection between the two accounts.

- Doc
Does what rings true to me in Marcus's post ring true for you also?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:32 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:12 pm
I think if your grandfather conducted a national broadcast to shill on behalf of the Mormon corporation it’d be very different from sharing his story, probably with a degree of confidentiality, with some loved ones. The former act would make me feel greasy, while the latter would feel personal, although maybe not welcome if he knew I wasn’t a believer and it was my kid.

We’re also talking about a murder versus an accident. Peas and carrots and all that, so I’m not sure there’s much of a moral nor ethical connection between the two accounts.

- Doc
Possibly. Kind of.

I would take acting humanely as not taking my grandkid’s murder, especially if it was the mother (is she the big suspect, or is she covering for the father? I dunno), and then broadcasting his demise as a segue for a lesson in faith. I find it narcissistic and mind boggling. Like, lady, your grandkid’s murderer is walking around and you know who it is (most likely). What about justice, and good Lord I hope they don’t snap again and take out another one. Someone’s ass needs to be in court defending their actions that night. A kid was murdered. I can’t really get past that.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

My understanding is that there is no statute of limitations for homicide in Florida where the crime is aggravated child abuse that results in death. Someone needs to do their job in Florida and prosecute these people.

The church is a big land owner in Florida, but that probably has nothing to do with it ....
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Possibly. Kind of.

I would take acting humanely as not taking my grandkid’s murder, especially if it was the mother (is she the big suspect, or is she covering for the father? I dunno), and then broadcasting his demise as a segue for a lesson in faith. I find it narcissistic and mind boggling. Like, lady, your grandkid’s murderer is walking around and you know who it is (most likely). What about justice, and good Lord I hope they don’t snap again and take out another one. Someone’s ass needs to be in court defending their actions that night. A kid was murdered. I can’t really get past that.

- Doc
Thanks. I’m not ready to talk about the concept in the context of the OP at this point. I simply spotted something Marcus said that liked potentially like a bit of common ground on which a discussion could be built. Maybe it is. Maybe it’s not. But I think it’s worth asking a few questions to see if there’s something actually there or if it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

I asked you the same question after you commented for the same reason. And I appreciate your willingness to respond. It doesn’t sound to me like Marcus’s comment rings true to you in the way it does to me. I’m sure there is other common ground you and I could start from.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:59 pm
My understanding is that there is no statute of limitations for homicide in Florida where the crime is aggravated child abuse that results in death. Someone needs to do their job in Florida and prosecute these people.

The church is a big land owner in Florida, but that probably has nothing to do with it ....
I took a quick check and there is no criminal statute of limitation for any felony that causes a death. (New one on me.) I’d sue like to pick the brain of whoever decided not to prosecute. There are some unknown unknowns out there that I’d like to see become known.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Possibly. Kind of.
To clarify, my comment about acting humanely was purely in the context of a personal interaction here with huckelberry, where he expressed a kindness toward my story:
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:51 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:25 pm
Speaking formyself as a believer I do not see any God working in mysterious ways here at all. Planes go fast and the ground is hard. the meeting of the two is potentially lethal. Isolation and cold weather can also be lethal. Death is a painful loss for family and friends.
Thank you, I appreciate that perspective. I am not a believer and I know you are, and I find it very comforting that we can come together in a discussion of this. Things happen, and all humans can do is be as humane as possible toward each other. I appreciate your kindness, in this post and your previous one.
I appreciated huckelberry’s comment, and we shared a good moment that was very helpful to me.

Getting back to the topic,
doc wrote: I would take acting humanely as not taking my grandkid’s murder…, and then broadcasting his demise as a segue for a lesson in faith. I find it narcissistic and mind boggling.
Your description above is the connection I intended to my story, although it’s pretty clear you already picked up on that.

Mine was an accident, not a murder, but is was the same in that a tragedy was mis-used in order to make it a lesson in faith. Mine of course was on a much smaller scale, but it was personally distasteful, in the extreme.
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:53 pm
[The plane crash] was heartbreaking.

The “miracle”, according to my lds relative, was that a year later family members took their name through the temple for endowments and “felt their presence.”

Yes, “felt their presence.” That was the miracle.

I was completely repulsed by this utterly repugnant rendition of their story, and sickened that the need to create an lds “motivational story” would cause someone to write this. I see the same elements in this story of her grandson.
Your comment noting the difference between an accident and a murder was well said:
Dan wrote: Like, lady, your grandkid’s murderer is walking around and you know who it is (most likely). What about justice, and good Lord I hope they don’t snap again and take out another one. Someone’s ass needs to be in court defending their actions that night. A kid was murdered. I can’t really get past that.

- Doc
Yes.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Looks like I got my answer. No common ground in sight.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Exiled wrote:

So.. no more visits to Disney World by this set of kids and grandkids? :roll:
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:20 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:

So.. no more visits to Disney World by this set of kids and grandkids? :roll:
Disneyland is still available, haha. Anyway, if a Florida prosecutor brought charges, they could get a warrant and then extradite back to Florida to have these people face charges. I had a client get picked up recently and was extradited to Idaho to face shoplifting charges. He was charged with a felony and so it wasn't just a candy bar that he allegedly took. So, it doesn't take much to issue a warrant and then get the local jurisdiction to arrest the person so they can be transported to the charging jurisdiction.

The report drumdude originally provided and that Doc highlighted is really disturbing. I, like Res wonder what went into the decision not to go forward after Mom was arrested. One wonders if a big Florida land owner weighed in to avoid embarrassment? It does so with child sex abuse cases, so why not an aggravated abuse case that led to death or an outright homicide case as the report says happened?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.