Fowlers Stages of faith - a Mormon scholars view

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
Bishop

Fowlers Stages of faith - a Mormon scholars view

Post by hauslern »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOuy5KWeX1g

On Gospel Tangents a LDS psychology proffessor who has just started teaching at Graceland College (a community of Christ University).

At which stage would one put Dan Peterson (not stage 6). Givens and Skousen have considered Smith's interpretation of the facsimiles wrong) So they agree with Shulem's area but differ in that they consider the content of the Book of Abraham as inspired. I have had letter and email exchanges with Bennion, England and Givens who I feel are/were later stages of faith but all three got into trouble with the church. I get really critical comments from Midgley but more compassionate response from Givens.

I am 78 now I have more an idea what is probably not true (Book of Mormon Book of Abraham Bible parts of) I have reached the don't know and feel I can live with that. I have read the work of Finkelstein and some of his critics, Bart Ehrman, William Dever. C S Lewis in Fernseeds and Elephants is critical of scholars who attack the historicity of parts of the Gospels and says that members of church will concclude not much point attending a church based on falsehoods. This has happened with US mainline denominations but is also happening with conservative churches (e.g. Southern Baptists).
drumdude
God

Re: Fowlers Stages of faith - a Mormon scholars view

Post by drumdude »

I would say Peterson is at stage 6 in some respects. For example he says he believes in universalism, that almost everyone will be saved regardless if they’re religious or not.

On some issues he is more fundamentalist, he still believes that Hebrews lived in the Americas in 600BC.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

James seems to spend most of his time bagging other churches but little about the stages I thought this was about Fowlers stages of faith but it has turned into a bagging other churches. Stage 1 – Intuitive-Projective Faith, Stage 2 – Mythic Literal Faith, Stage 3 – Synthetic-Conventional Faith, Stage 4 – Individuative-Reflective Faith, Stage 5 – Conjunctive Faith and Stage 6 – Universalizing Faith.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I think it's pretty ridiculous to apply psychology to faith tenets.

There are eastern-leaning cults with universal views on life but yet people live in communes and follow controlling leaders.

How a person processes the world and the propositions of their faith are two totally different things.

This psychology professor must be really desperate to pat himself on the back for being born Mormon. He ought to register on this forum and get a well-deserved ass-kicking.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:55 pm
He ought to register on this forum and get a well-deserved ass-kicking.
Finally. Yes. This forum is the place. Let's do this.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Nibley spent part of his career attacking Egyptologists like Breasted etc. over the Book of Abraham. I remember when a member reading avidly those Era articles. Nibley once wrote forget what he wrote previously. Have any of you listened to those podcasts pushed by Dan Peterson with Nibley's speeches? He waffles on. Now that scholars like Givens and Skousen consider the interpretations of the facsimiles are wrong what does one do with Nibley's work?