University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:17 am
The priesthood ban was racist.

Brigham Young was a creep.

I think that about covers it for me.
I can’t believe the cult is still using his name and likeness for their flagship university.

eta: yet another blog post that addresses the racial incident at byu:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ham-2.html

And as luck would have it, that blog post discusses how BY was just a misunderstood man of his time and we should just cut him a break!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by Moksha »

If those darned gentiles had not been so vocal, the Church could have maintained its priesthood ban to this very day.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:14 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:13 pm
DUKE, South Carolina, ESPN, Rachel’s godmother, and many media outlets are racists in the sense that they prejudged and racially profiled those that they were different from.

And we’re probably not going to get an apology from them.
Do you think the Church should apologise for the Priesthood Ban?
Still nothing MG2.0? What's the problem? It's a simple question...
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:11 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Sorry. I missed this. I didn’t come back to this thread until today to give this any special notice.

The church has come along way. The NAACP seems to be OK with Pres. Nelson’s response and actions. The church has spoken out against racism. It would be unlikely that there will be an actual pronouncement that the ban was ill founded because of the actions and words of David O. McKay. There seems to be a general consensus that the Lord, for one reason or another, was aware of and had reasons for delaying reversal of the implementation of the ban.

If so, there isn’t anything to apologize for in reference to the past. We can only move forward into the future. This has been the position of Elder Oaks and others.

Hope this helps. This is all I will have to say in answer to your question.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by MG 2.0 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:39 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:11 pm
Sorry. I missed this. I didn’t come back to this thread until today to give this any special notice.

The church has come along way. The NAACP seems to be OK with Pres. Nelson’s response and actions. The church has spoken out against racism. It would be unlikely that there will be an actual pronouncement that the ban was ill founded because of the actions and words of David O. McKay. There seems to be a general consensus that the Lord, for one reason or another, was aware of and had reasons for delaying the implementation of the ban.

If so, there isn’t anything to apologize for in reference to the past. We can only move forward into the future. This has been the position of Elder Oaks and others.

Hope this helps. This is all I will have to say in answer to your question.

Regards,
MG
Yeah, I guess using slaves, having a slave market, and getting slavery legalized in Utah falls under “there isn’t anything to apologize for”.

Priesthood holder, temple worthy, ok-with-Utah-slavery Mormon.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:16 pm
IHAQ wrote:
One incident of modern institutions rushing to take an athlete at her word (which may have been given in good faith, even if nothing racist was said), and MG calls for rounds of apologies.

One hundred fifty plus years of systematic Mormon racism falsely blamed on God, and MG labels calls for just a single apology “virtue signaling.”

His moral compass is just as convoluted as his logic.
Years ago I read:

https://www.amazon.com/David-McKay-Rise ... b7a1903cfd

I’m pretty sure it was in this book that I gleaned the information in regards to David O. McKay and his associates as it relates to reversal the ban on the priesthood for those of the African race.

I mentioned this in my previous post.

This really doesn’t have anything to do with the virtue signaling you mention.

Regards,
MG
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:DUKE, South Carolina, ESPN, Rachel’s godmother, and many media outlets are racists in the sense that they prejudged and racially profiled those that they were different from.

MG 2.0 wrote:
The church has come along way. The NAACP seems to be OK with Pres. Nelson’s response and actions. The church has spoken out against racism. It would be unlikely that there will be an actual pronouncement that the ban was ill founded because of the actions and words of David O. McKay. There seems to be a general consensus that the Lord, for one reason or another, was aware of and had reasons for delaying reversal of the implementation of the ban.

I'm struggling to find a reasonable explanation for this staggering double standard.
MetaProf
Nursery

Post by MetaProf »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:39 am
MG 2.0 wrote:DUKE, South Carolina, ESPN, Rachel’s godmother, and many media outlets are racists in the sense that they prejudged and racially profiled those that they were different from.

MG 2.0 wrote:

I'm struggling to find a reasonable explanation for this staggering double standard.
The explanation is that special pleading is a valid move in Mormon Calvin-ball.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

MG wrote:And we’re probably not going to get an apology from them.
So you, as a member of the only true church on the face of the earth, let the ethics of heathens determine your ethics?

If I feel like I have something to apologize for, I do so, independent of whether I think the other party is holding back on their own apologies, or hypocritical, or whatever.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Oh…MG. You want an apology from a volleyball player who may have been mistreated by a fan at a volleyball match at BYU? I get it if she made something up, but you don’t know that she did. Even if nothing was said she might have genuinely thought she heard it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos