University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:57 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:27 pm

I’m sure this would be a great alternative to what will more than likely transpire. Folks are going to jump on the WOKE bandwagon and diss BYU because it’s the thing to do.

Lemmings.

Communication is key. From all players/parties.

It was somewhat frustrating to see AD Holmoe cave so quickly.

The times we live in.

Regards,
MG
It’s attitudes just like yours that impedes understanding and unity. You’ve got that old LDS persecution complex revv’d up, topped off with white guy racial resentment.

Let’s talk about the way you targeted and demonized the woman you’ve discussed in this thread. Did you notice that all those tweets were parts of conversations? You jumped to conclusions based only on a curated selection of out of context tweets. You didn’t spend one second investigating context or getting the actual facts, which is exactly what you are complaining about in others. Maybe you should take care of that big old beam before casting stone. (I’m love mixed Biblical metaphors.

And, in response to my suggestion that those affected try to do the grownup thing and sit down and talk things out, you just throw more gasoline on the fire. Yeah, instead of doing his best to fix a bad situation, he should gone to war like you.

Was Jesus just yanking our chains with that “turn the other cheek” stuff? Or the love your enemies stuff? If you’re going to claim to be a follower of Christ, shouldn’t you at least make an effort? Cuz you know who Jesus really hated? Hypocrites.

If you genuinely believed fairness, Justice, and equality, your view this incident as an opportunity to increase understanding and not another bullet in your culture war.
You have pretty much totally misinterpreted what I’m saying.

How wide the divide.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the effort to even try and communicate.

But it is, and I will.

In NO way am I trying to add gasoline to the fire. I’m trying to put the fire out that was lit by those that had an ax to grind.

The godmother WAS a major player in this fiasco.

You can make this into something that fits your personal narrative/belief about me and others that saw through the WOKE agendas and behaviors that ignited this mess, but I’m not going to sign on to your narrative.

You are constructing a narrative to give WOKE behaviors of this past week some saving grace.

Attitudes like mine, you say? What a bunch of malarkey. You don’t know me at all. You are building a caricature to fit your own insecurities/narrative.

I SUPPORT your suggestion that all interested parties sit down and come to an understanding/appreciation for each other’s worldview and leave each other with a greater degree of compassion and acceptance.

Sheesh.

And to judge me as being a hypocrite?

Take a hike.

Oh, and I DO believe that this unfortunate episode CAN be a catalyst towards greater understanding and CHANGE.

Your post was a complete mess.

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by drumdude »

MG,

You’re attributing everything to WOKE when it may actually be a legitimate misunderstanding.

Both sides need to give a little.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:04 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:57 pm

It’s attitudes just like yours that impedes understanding and unity. You’ve got that old LDS persecution complex revv’d up, topped off with white guy racial resentment.

Let’s talk about the way you targeted and demonized the woman you’ve discussed in this thread. Did you notice that all those tweets were parts of conversations? You jumped to conclusions based only on a curated selection of out of context tweets. You didn’t spend one second investigating context or getting the actual facts, which is exactly what you are complaining about in others. Maybe you should take care of that big old beam before casting stone. (I’m love mixed Biblical metaphors.

And, in response to my suggestion that those affected try to do the grownup thing and sit down and talk things out, you just throw more gasoline on the fire. Yeah, instead of doing his best to fix a bad situation, he should gone to war like you.

Was Jesus just yanking our chains with that “turn the other cheek” stuff? Or the love your enemies stuff? If you’re going to claim to be a follower of Christ, shouldn’t you at least make an effort? Cuz you know who Jesus really hated? Hypocrites.

If you genuinely believed fairness, Justice, and equality, your view this incident as an opportunity to increase understanding and not another bullet in your culture war.
You have pretty much totally misinterpreted what I’m saying.

How wide the divide.

Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the effort to even try and communicate.

But it is, and I will.

In NO way am I trying to add gasoline to the fire. I’m trying to put the fire out that was lit by those that had an ax to grind.

The godmother WAS a major player in this fiasco.

You can make this into something that fits your personal narrative/belief about me and others that saw through the WOKE agendas and behaviors that ignited this mess, but I’m not going to sign on to your narrative.

You are constructing a narrative to give WOKE behaviors of this past week some saving grace.

Attitudes like mine, you say? What a bunch of malarkey. You don’t know me at all. You are building a caricature to fit your own insecurities/narrative.

I SUPPORT your suggestion that all interested parties sit down and come to an understanding/appreciation for each other’s worldview and leave each other with a greater degree of compassion and acceptance.

Sheesh.

And to judge me as being a hypocrite?

Take a hike.

Oh, and I DO believe that this unfortunate episode CAN be a catalyst towards greater understanding and CHANGE.

Your post was a complete mess.

Regards,
MG
Hit dog holla’.

Resorting to the right-wing’s epithet of the month to demonize people you don’t like is divisive as hell. It is absolutely throwing gasoline on the fire. I know more about you through experience here than you know about the woman you demonize, so if you think my criticism is unfounded, what does that say about you?

If you want the episode to result in greater understanding and change, stop ranting about the woke agenda and show some willingness to understand. You can’t be a brave little culture warrior, demonize people you don’t know from Adam, and claim to be interested in promoting understanding.

I’m not defending or excusing anything. I’m saying that you are doing to the godmother what you are complaining being done to BYU on even less information than we have about the original incident. Mote and beam, remember.

If you actually agreed with me, you’d drop the culture warrior, anti-woke BS and actually treat the incident as an opportunity to build bridges instead of burning them. But no, you just had to claim that people you don’t know but dislike will do something bad.

And, please, your “you’re just creating a narrative” excuse expired month ago. I based my comments on what you choose to post. I didn’t grab your hands and force you to rant about the woke agenda. That was all you.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:08 pm
MG,

You’re attributing everything to WOKE when it may actually be a legitimate misunderstanding.

Has ESPN apologized? Along with Rachel’s godmother’s comments, the pundits at ESPN threw A TON of gasoline onto the fire.

Any word from them ‘giving’ a little?

Any word from Rachel lately, now that things have blown over somewhat and the evidence seems to negate the extreme positions that were taken? I haven’t pursued this story in the last twenty-four hours…any word from the ‘players’, that is, ESPN, Rachel, or her godmother?

I’m open to new information that would show the WOKE folks giving a little. It seems as though the ball might be on their side of the net?

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

drumdude wrote:
MG,

Much more succinct than me. Although I don’t think I’m qualified to tell either school What they need to do. I hope they can see fit to resolve the issue so that the Duke players feel comfortable going to BYU for the game, that the BYU team and fans are comfortable hosting them, and the other way around. I think the biggest losers right now are the student athletes at both schools and I’d like to see them stage a comeback and get a win.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:27 pm
drumdude wrote:
MG,

Has ESPN apologized? Along with Rachel’s godmother’s comments, the pundits at ESPN threw A TON of gasoline onto the fire.

Any word from them ‘giving’ a little?

Any word from Rachel lately, now that things have blown over somewhat and the evidence seems to negate the extreme positions that were taken? I haven’t pursued this story in the last twenty-four hours…any word from the ‘players’, that is, ESPN, Rachel, or her godmother?

I’m open to new information that would show the WOKE folks giving a little. It seems as though the ball might be on their side of the net?

Regards,
MG
And there you go. It’s culture warrior all the way.
he/him

MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:25 pm

If you actually agreed with me, you’d drop the culture warrior, anti-woke BS and actually treat the incident as an opportunity to build bridges instead of burning them. But no, you just had to claim that people you don’t know but dislike will do something bad.
I suppose we could rant back and forth. That’s not going to really accomplish anything. On that I think we can agree.

You had your rant. I had mine.

This IS an opportunity to build bridges. WE AGREE!

I don’t dislike anyone in this fiasco. I do have a problem with how a group of people blew everything to hell without having all the information at hand.

And do I think that to some extent it was agenda driven?

It’s rather obvious. Yes.

Ask the folks at ESPN and the major mainstream news outlets whether or not their stories were agenda driven (ha, they’ll obviously say, “No way!”). NY Post and some other media outlets didn’t jump on the WOKE bandwagon.

I understand that if you support the WOKE movement my comments are going to be misinterpreted as hurtful and flammable. But that’s not my intent. My intent is to get to the heart of the matter…and the evidence seems to show there was a concerted effort to push out a certain narrative that supports a certain agenda.

White privilege/shame/guilt.

And there wasn’t any there there in as far as we know now. But that didn’t stop the prewritten narrative from escalating and getting out of control. Until, of course, some wise folks took the time to investigate and look for the FACTS.

Let’s get off this hobby horse that people have of throwing ‘white shame’ paint in the faces of everyone that has a white ancestry.

It’s getting tedious and it’s getting old.

Work to be done on race relations? Sure. But we don’t have to go around making something out of nothing in order to do so. It’s been done on a major newsworthy scale at times on nationwide basis to try and rile people up.

It doesn’t help the cause of race relations when this happens. We need to keep it real and like you said, COMMUNICATE rather than talk AT each other.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:30 pm
I hope they can see fit to resolve the issue so that the Duke players feel comfortable going to BYU for the game, that the BYU team and fans are comfortable hosting them, and the other way around.
In recent history has there been any reason for the Duke players to have felt uncomfortable coming to BYU?

How many times have they played, say, in the last ten years? Were there incidents that would have caused the Duke women’s team to be fearful of coming to BYU?

Is there any evidence that BYU was “uncomfortable” hosting the Duke team?

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:57 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:30 pm
I hope they can see fit to resolve the issue so that the Duke players feel comfortable going to BYU for the game, that the BYU team and fans are comfortable hosting them, and the other way around.
In recent history has there been any reason for the Duke players to have felt uncomfortable coming to BYU?

How many times have they played, say, in the last ten years? Were there incidents that would have caused the Duke women’s team to be fearful of coming to BYU?

Regards,
MG
I’m describing the outcome I’d like to see. I make no claims about anyone’s mental state today or in the past.
he/him

MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:00 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:57 pm

Regards,
MG
I’m describing the outcome I’d like to see. I make no claims about anyone’s mental state today or in the past.
OK. Thanks for the conversation, Res Ipsa.

I know we’re going to disagree. Much of that has to having opposing worldviews in some respects. But I would hope we have more in common than what separates us.

If we could get everyone to get on board with that…

I’ve got to move on to other things for the rest of the day.

Again, thanks for the conversation. 🙂

Regards,
MG