University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

BYU is having a bad, very bad month.
South Carolina and women's basketball coach Dawn Staley have canceled a home-and-home series with BYU over a recent racial incident where a Cougars fan yelled slurs at a Duke volleyball player.

The Gamecocks were scheduled to start the season at home against BYU on Nov. 7, then play at the Utah campus during the 2023-24 season.

But Staley cited BYU's home volleyball match last month as reason for calling off the series.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /50694081/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
dastardly stem
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by dastardly stem »

It’ll be interesting to see if more of this type of stuff happens as a result of the allegations. I really do think allegation is all it’ll take for some more of these types of responses.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr Exiled
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by Dr Exiled »

And it looks like there wasn't a racial incident in this case, that the young volleyball player from Duke was probably a little intimidated by the crowd and probably misheard something. What sold it for me was that there were african american BYU basketball players at the volleyball game and they had no reaction to the supposed slurs that weren't said. Also, it appears the person of interest might have had issues if the cop doing the report is to be believed.
Last edited by Dr Exiled on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:13 pm
No thanks to this racist:

https://www.outkick.com/duke-volleyball ... t-remarks/

Are you meaning to start another ‘diss BYU’ thread? If so, don’t bother.
Shortly after tweeting Richardson’s story, Pamplin switched her Twitter account to private.
Hmm…wonder why?

Regards,
MG
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Tick tock Nelson. Now would be a good time for that formal apology for systemic racism.

44 years too late, and counting.

But as they say, better late than never.

I'd like to see Nelson follow the lead of the evidently heroic BYU coach, who apologized for accusations that may or may not have factually happened.

Unlike facts surrounding the BYU Volleyball game, systemic racism DID in fact happen in the church, all the way back to BYU's namesake. And endures today in church scripture and doctrine.

Tick tock.

I am so grateful for all the apologies I’ve made to LGBTQ friends and family due to my support of prop 8. Best conversations ever.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Does South Carolina default to a loss on the canceled games? Not saying that should be the case, just curious as to the rules are on canceling games.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:36 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:13 pm
No thanks to this racist:

https://www.outkick.com/duke-volleyball ... t-remarks/

Are you meaning to start another ‘diss BYU’ thread? If so, don’t bother.
Shortly after tweeting Richardson’s story, Pamplin switched her Twitter account to private.
Hmm…wonder why?

Regards,
MG
Assuming that the the player (and others) misunderstood. (It could still be true. I mean, how many fans who heard it if they did would be willing to admit that while at the same time admitttkng that they were complicit in not saying anything?) Or at worst, that they made it up, something that doesn’t seem to also be supported by what’s known.

BYU has opened itself up to this by not fully owning i5a racist past. And present. As a student there in the 80s, this sounded so like BYU. I haven’t been really that connected with the school since, but my admittedly limited knowledge is that this still is not an uncommon sentiment.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

BYU Mission Statement wrote:The BYU Committee on Race, Equity & Belonging is united and deeply committed to realizing the recent call to action and reflecting the united declaration of leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the NAACP that educational institutions “review processes, [policies], and organizational attitudes regarding racism and root them out.” In his charge to the committee, President Kevin J Worthen acknowledged the historic nature of the committee’s commission and the transformative potential of the work we are asked to undertake in accomplishing this declaration and call to action at BYU. Racism—whether implicit or overt, whether individual or institutional—is a highly destructive and complex feature of our society. Indeed, it is a sin, with consequences that detrimentally impact the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing of BYU students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Rooting out racism, healing its wounds, and building bridges of understanding is the responsibility of every member of the BYU community. That effort begins with understanding and living the two greatest commandments given to us by the Master Healer, Jesus Christ: to love God with all our hearts and to love our neighbors as ourselves (see Matthew 22:35–39). In this spirit of love, we will address racism, promote equity, and enhance belonging at BYU by:

Listening to our beloved Black BYU community to understand how racism has frustrated, and continues to frustrate their experiences at BYU;
Inviting the input of all of our beloved Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) at BYU as well as those committed to ridding BYU of racism through the establishment of racial equity and belonging;
Conducting a thorough quantitative and qualitative review of how processes, policies, practices, procedures, operations, and attitudes impact our BIPOC communities at BYU;
Identifying the issues that negatively impact the prosperity of our BIPOC communities at BYU;
Drawing on the expertise of individual faculty and administrators within BYU to understand both the subtle and overt ways that racism may impact individual thought and interactions, organizational units, processes, policies, practices, procedures, and operations;
Creating, prioritizing, and presenting a comprehensive set of recommendations that will assist BYU to advance racial understanding, enhance equity, and promote belonging, and that will have a significant and enduring positive impact on the prosperity of our BIPOC communities at BYU.
In accomplishing its purpose and mission, the committee is committed to transparency and will maintain consistent communication with the BYU community concerning its progress. We also recognize our charge extends beyond a single time frame or set of recommendations; therefore, we seek to launch an iterative process that will require consistent attention to create and maintain a racially equitable campus. The committee eagerly looks forward to assisting to “root out [racism],” at BYU so that every member of our BYU community “might have life, and have it ‘more abundantly.’”
https://race.byu.edu/mission
BYU Student wrote:“I was disappointed in BYU’s response [to say it happened],” said a student named Jessica, who asked not to have her last name used for fear of retribution. “In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty. BYU admitted it happened.”

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... ss-racism/
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

BYU should pledge to take away students' future planets if they yell racial slurs at games.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

Whilst this^ is still within the doctrinal canon of the church every sporting entity that believes in fighting racism should boycott BYU.