University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by Dr Moore »

Question: where is the quote by an apostle stating that the dark skin curse was possibly just clothing, and not the color of human skin?

Have seen the various apologetics that “skin” doesn’t mean skin. Do these clever theories have any apostolic backing whatsoever? Are they anything more than bullsh*t confusion tactics? Fringe fancies? Mental masturbation by bored defense consultants?

All of the quotes I can find have church leaders incorporating the color of human skin in church doctrine about the curses on Lamanites and Negroes. And there are a LOT of those, going back to the founding.
Last edited by Dr Moore on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:48 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:25 pm

If you actually agreed with me, you’d drop the culture warrior, anti-woke BS and actually treat the incident as an opportunity to build bridges instead of burning them. But no, you just had to claim that people you don’t know but dislike will do something bad.
I suppose we could rant back and forth. That’s not going to really accomplish anything. On that I think we can agree.

You had your rant. I had mine.

This IS an opportunity to build bridges. WE AGREE!

I don’t dislike anyone in this fiasco. I do have a problem with how a group of people blew everything to hell without having all the information at hand.

And do I think that to some extent it was agenda driven?

It’s rather obvious. Yes.

Ask the folks at ESPN and the major mainstream news outlets whether or not their stories were agenda driven (ha, they’ll obviously say, “No way!”). NY Post and some other media outlets didn’t jump on the WOKE bandwagon.

I understand that if you support the WOKE movement my comments are going to be misinterpreted as hurtful and flammable. But that’s not my intent. My intent is to get to the heart of the matter…and the evidence seems to show there was a concerted effort to push out a certain narrative that supports a certain agenda.

White privilege/shame/guilt.

And there wasn’t any there there in as far as we know now. But that didn’t stop the prewritten narrative from escalating and getting out of control. Until, of course, some wise folks took the time to investigate and look for the FACTS.

Let’s get off this hobby horse that people have of throwing ‘white shame’ paint in the faces of everyone that has a white ancestry.

It’s getting tedious and it’s getting old.

Work to be done on race relations? Sure. But we don’t have to go around making something out of nothing in order to do so. It’s been done on a major newsworthy scale at times on nationwide basis to try and rile people up.

It doesn’t help the cause of race relations when this happens. We need to keep it real and like you said, COMMUNICATE rather than talk AT each other.

Regards,
MG
As long as you are unwilling to drop your culture war and talk, understanding is impossible. Every one of your posts is filled with resentment about past things folks have done that you don’t like. If you are truly interested in increasing understanding and unity, step one is stop obsessing over the actions of others. You have no control over anyone’s actions and it’s foolish to let the actions of strangers drive your own conduct. Every one of your posts in this sequence is dripping with resentment about the past actions of people you don’t even know. Your insistence on using a term that was deliberately weaponized to dehumanize people you don’t like show how trapped you are in your own resentment. You can choose to put down that heavy load and talk or not.

My response to all your ranting about woke agenda is going to be something like “So?” There’s no common ground to be found there when you keep deploying insults and insinuating they apply to me.

I’d like to see a certain result. The most I can do is act in the way I think is conducive to achieving that result. Do you see me claiming that BYU has to apologize for its scriptures as a condition of going forward? That would be the equivalent of all that ranting you are doing about the woke agenda. The people who are actually in a position to turn this sows ear into a silk purse do not include the two of us. The most productive thing the two of us can do is give them space to work it out. And peoples who aren’t involved publicly ranting about racism or wokeism is the opposite of that.

It’s easy to type the words that say you want a positive outcome in this incident. It’s harder to — you know — walk the walk. I don’t believe in a divine Jesus, but there are lots of good things worth considering in the Sermon on the Mount. It’s almost a roadmap for how to promote understanding.

Now, you get to do what you want. I’m just saying, if you agree with me, why not conform your conduct to the outcome you say you want?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:10 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:00 pm

I’m describing the outcome I’d like to see. I make no claims about anyone’s mental state today or in the past.
OK. Thanks for the conversation, Res Ipsa.

I know we’re going to disagree. Much of that has to having opposing worldviews in some respects. But I would hope we have more in common than what separates us.

If we could get everyone to get on board with that…

I’ve got to move on to other things for the rest of the day.

Again, thanks for the conversation. 🙂

Regards,
MG
Enjoy the rest of your day.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:

:roll: just when you find yourself in a tough spot....
As usual. I suppose there are worse ways to concede a point.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:46 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Hopping in quickly. I figured you would show up with a vacuous comment.

Were we on the same page? No.

I don’t expect we ever will be. Me conceding a point or points? Not on your life.

There weren’t any points to concede. I felt like the points I made were valid. Still do. I suspect Res Ipsa feels the same about where he is coming from. You and other WOKE folks are OF COURSE going to side with his world view and particularly, in this instance, his views in regards to what happened at BYU this last week. I am totally comfortable with every word I said and believe I spoke truth to power.

Just as Res Ipsa feels like he did. We WILL NOT AGREE or concede our views. I don’t expect him to see things the way I do. But at the end of the day we DID communicate. Which is more than I can say for the times I’ve interacted with you.

It’s usually stuff like this. Total waste of my time. But here a I am having to speak the truth after you come in and poop.

After talking with Res Ipsa, this is my day:

1. I went to the gym and worked out.
2. Home and showering and then wasting a short amount of time having to knock heads with the board nanny.
3. Taking my dad (89 years old!) out to dinner. 🙂
4. Wife’s siblings are in town. Going to be with them and wife’s parents throughout the evening after taking dad out.
5. Brother in law brought a telescope with him. We’re going to do some star gazing.
6. Come home and go to bed.

You are such a pest. Troll? Damn close if you’re not.

NOW, I’m taking a break, not conceding anything, and going on with my day. 🙂

Do you folks always have to ‘win’?

Oh, did I say you are a royal pain in the arse?

So long for now.

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:29 pm
Marcus wrote:

Hopping in quickly. I figured you would show up with a vacuous comment.

Were we on the same page? No.

I don’t expect we ever will be. Me conceding a point or points? Not on your life.

There weren’t any points to concede. I felt like the points I made were valid. Still do. I suspect Res Ipsa feels the same about where he is coming from. You and other WOKE folks are OF COURSE going to side with his world view and particularly, in this instance, his views in regards to what happened at BYU this last week. I am totally comfortable with every word I said and believe I spoke truth to power.

Just as Res Ipsa feels like he did. We WILL NOT AGREE or concede our views. I don’t expect him to see things the way I do. But at the end of the day we DID communicate. Which is more than I can say for the times I’ve interacted with you.

It’s usually stuff like this. Total waste of my time. But here a I am having to speak the truth after you come in and poop.

After talking with Res Ipsa, this is my day:

1. I went to the gym and worked out.
2. Home and showering and then wasting a short amount of time having to knock heads with the board nanny.
3. Taking my dad (89 years old!) out to dinner. 🙂
4. Wife’s siblings are in town. Going to be with them and wife’s parents throughout the evening after taking dad out.
5. Brother in law brought a telescope with him. We’re going to do some star gazing.
6. Come home and go to bed.

You are such a pest. Troll? Damn close if you’re not.

NOW, I’m taking a break, not conceding anything, and going on with my day. 🙂

Do you folks always have to ‘win’?

Oh, did I say you are a royal pain in the arse?

So long for now.

Regards,
MG
Can you accurately describe my position on what happened at the volleyball game? A quote from me would be most helpful.
he/him

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Marcus wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:

Not quite. It’s typical MG trolling. Comes in to crap circular garbage all over the board: “hey antichrist(x), we just don’t know, but I know more than you, and you’re biased but I’m not, and you’re asking the wrong questions which I’ve asked, and if you special plead enough as I have done, eventually you get to the perfect clarity of a mental gymnastics frenzy - it’s great trust me!” And then, predictably, runs out of dodges to direct logical questions, abruptly takes a “I have a life” break, then misses the attention and will return to make the thread all about him and his special recursive logic again. Going back over a decade… tens of thousands of posts which say precisely nothing.

I read some of the replies to MG posts up thread and it’s actually becoming evident that MG prefers to see the church’s brand of racism persist. But we’ll never know because I’m sure MG condemns racism, except when the church does it, but for sure racism is bad as Nelson teaches, and you should just overlook centuries of systematic racist doctrines and practices, except when non Mormons did it. Slippery as Trump, equally narcissistic.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:54 pm
Marcus wrote:

Not quite. It’s typical MG trolling.
oh i agree. i was saying that sarcastically.
And then, predictably, runs out of dodges to direct logical questions, abruptly takes a “I have a life” break, then misses the attention and will return to make the thread all about him and his special recursive logic again.
yes, exactly.
I read some of the replies to MG posts up thread and it’s actually becoming evident that MG prefers to see the church’s brand of racism persist. But we’ll never know because I’m sure MG condemns racism, except when the church does it, but for sure racism is bad as Nelson teaches, and you should just overlook centuries of systematic racist doctrines and practices, except when non Mormons did it. Slippery as Trump, equally narcissistic.
excellent summing up.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:29 pm
Me conceding a point or points? Not on your life.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Binger wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:01 pm
Moksha wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:31 am
BYU should pledge to take away students' future planets if they yell racial slurs at games.
How would such a pledge improve anything?
The strong LDS desire to be the God of their own planet and have thousands of Celestial wives would outweigh the desire to yell any racial slurs.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace