University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:25 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:15 am

The fact that you agree with this crap Moore puts out there simply strengthens my position.

Regards,
MG

- Doc
dastardly stem
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by dastardly stem »

Creating stories of racist bad guys feels bad until you hear of actual racist events or think about racism of the past (mentioning the church’s racist past surely can’t help the perception). But it’s still bad. I can’t really imagine being that “on the spectrum” young man and wondering why I was being banned from BYU sports, or being accused of something I didn’t do. I guess BYU apologized, but apparently he was banned because Duke players, like including if not exclusively Ms Richardson, pointed him out. That sounds bad. Was he an easy target? He apparently ran up to her and maybe other duke players mistaking them for BYU players and that was interpreted as a threat.

I don’t mean to say that Richardson is a bad faith actor here. I can certainly imagine being young, brought up to think there are racists out to get you and upon finding yourself in a hostile seeming environment where, as you look around, the place is full of the face colors you were told are bad as you think they are after you in their jeering. It’s probably pretty hard not to imagine “they are singling me out”.

That still works as the best explanation to me. She heard something. The intensity of the crowd felt personal. It’s very easy to convince one’s self of hearing a terrible word in the various sounds accompanied with other words ending in the grrr sound. It’s very reasonable for someone to think they heard a word, even feel certain of it, but the word was never uttered—particularly in tense moments. And it’s still possible the word was used. It seems unlikely, but it’s possible. To treat this as if everyone in the crowd is innocent and Duke and it’s players are taking advantage of opportunity remains another piece of guesswork that if crowed about too much might make the crower, or mg in this case, appear a little too suspect. That just happens to be the world we’re in though. MGs defensiveness for BYU comes off as too victorious and appears to relish a bit too much as if BYU is a targeted victim with out any baggage it’s lugging around.

With that said I can agree to some extent with taking exception with unfounded accusations of racism. The accusation can be pretty harmful and often it doesn’t seem to matter if there wasill intent or any connection to racism at all. The accusation is meant to shame and carries with it far more weight than many other accusations of social failure. I’ve been influenced by John McWhorters work, including his book Woke Racism, and Douglas Murray’s The War on the West, among works and contributions from others, for good or for bad, to not see in the recent movements a religion not unlike the religion MG holds dear—replete with dogma, censuring, and a use of shame and fear enough to bring adherents to their knees and keep them there. It appears things have settled down some, but any moment of accusation sure brings out the fire and brimstone preachers along with the self righteous followers ready to shun and condemn. You want to feel bad for BYU for seeing this accusation grow into wide spread condemnation. Then you think about the damned organization which in part built itself on racism and it pisses you off all over again. The defenses just look silly in light of the baggage. But it’s fair to think nothing happened here and some took the accusation too far.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:51 pm
MGs defensiveness for BYU comes off as too victorious and appears to relish a bit too much as if BYU is a targeted victim with out any baggage it’s lugging around.
It comes back to the woke ideology. That white folks…living in the present…are somehow inherently guilty for the sins of our fathers. I don’t believe that. But the more this gospel is preached in schools like DUKE, and many others, the greater likelihood that we’re going to carry the “baggage” of manufactured racism around. We are all innocent of ANY racism until proven guilty. The woke movement turns that truth on its head.

And that’s dangerous.

We can see the unfortunate results manifest in our society and in unfortunate incidents like that which we’ve just witnessed at BYU. Two teams playing volleyball and it escalates into a racial divide based upon the conditioning of a young vulnerable black athlete.

Think of the influence Rachel Richardson’s godmother had on her upbringing. And then to have that reinforced by the woke ideologies prevalent in our society. These are disasters just waiting to happen. Disasters? Yes. Every time these things happen:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... cancel-him

the culture becomes conditioned to “what ifs” and we’re always looking for ‘guilt’ rather than innocence. Not to say there aren’t bad actors out there. But I think we need to look at each other in a loving fashion rather than pre judge each other as racists, homophobes, and the like.

And before anyone brings up BYU’s response to the trans community pamphlets again as being somehow ‘over the line’, let me remind you that BYU is a private institution run by a church that teaches certain religious doctrines which conflict with the actions and practices of the trans community.

This is, in a sense, a separate issue.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
I don’t mean to say that Richardson is a bad faith actor here.
I think it would be helpful for her to make a public comment of some sort at this point. Unless I’m mistaken, she’s remained rather mum in response to the investigation and findings that have come about as a result of her accusations.

I don’t expect we’ll hear from her…or others.

BYU took the high road.

Regards,
MG
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:07 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
MGs defensiveness for BYU comes off as too victorious and appears to relish a bit too much as if BYU is a targeted victim with out any baggage it’s lugging around.
It comes back to the woke ideology. That white folks…living in the present…are somehow inherently guilty for the sins of our fathers. I don’t believe that. But the more this gospel is preached in schools like DUKE, and many others, the greater likelihood that we’re going to carry the “baggage” of manufactured racism around. We are all innocent of ANY racism until proven guilty. The woke movement turns that truth on its head.

And that’s dangerous.

We can see the unfortunate results manifest in our society and in unfortunate incidents like that which we’ve just witnessed at BYU. Two teams playing volleyball and it escalates into a racial divide based upon the conditioning of a young vulnerable black athlete.

Think of the influence Rachel Richardson’s godmother had on her upbringing. And then to have that reinforced by the woke ideologies prevalent in our society. These are disasters just waiting to happen. Disasters? Yes. Every time these things happen:

You’re really not helping your cause, mg, by equating this to the smollett case. You fly off the handle convicting her godmother and have decided she made it up. I’d caution again to take it down a notch or five. Linking a terrible foxnews piece about the unfortunate event here is missing the whole boat. You still don’t know what happened.
the culture becomes conditioned to “what ifs” and we’re always looking for ‘guilt’ rather than innocence. Not to say there aren’t bad actors out there. But I think we need to look at each other in a loving fashion rather than pre judge each other as racists, homophobes, and the like.

This line as much as any you’ve typed here deserves a reminder to look in the mirror. If the church and it’s memebers weren’t so carelessly and frequently tabbing otherwise loving family members as angry, wanting to sin apostates this would fit better coming from someone wishing to defend Mormonism. And that’s not to mention the church’s racism and homophobia etc. It looks pretty hollow though.
And before anyone brings up BYU’s response to the trans community pamphlets again as being somehow ‘over the line’, let me remind you that BYU is a private institution run by a church that teaches certain religious doctrines which conflict with the actions and practices of the trans community.

Regards,
MG
This post only got worse. You should just delete that nonsense if you ask me
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:14 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
I don’t mean to say that Richardson is a bad faith actor here.
I think it would be helpful for her to make a public comment of some sort at this point. Unless I’m mistaken, she’s remained rather mum in response to the investigation and findings that have come about as a result of her accusations.

BYU took the high road.

Regards,
MG
No. She should not. If she did she’s likely to let everyone know she heard a racial slur and you can’t really tell her otherwise. We all should move on.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:55 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:07 pm

And that’s dangerous.

You’re really not helping your cause, mg, by equating this to the smollett case. You fly off the handle convicting her godmother and have decided she made it up. I’d caution again to take it down a notch or five. Linking a terrible foxnews piece about the unfortunate event here is missing the whole boat. You still don’t know what happened.

This line as much as any you’ve typed here deserves a reminder to look in the mirror. If the church and it’s memebers weren’t so carelessly and frequently tabbing otherwise loving family members as angry, wanting to sin apostates this would fit better coming from someone wishing to defend Mormonism. And that’s not to mention the church’s racism and homophobia etc. It looks pretty hollow though.

Regards,
MG
This post only got worse. You should just delete that nonsense if you ask me
I didn’t and I won’t. I continue to stand by everything I’ve said in this thread in regards to the DUKE racial profiling saga. That’s what it was, but not the way woke folks would have it. The racial profiling was done at BYU’s expense and towards the unfortunate individual that was accused of racist actions.

DUKE, South Carolina, ESPN, Rachel’s godmother, and many media outlets are racists in the sense that they prejudged and racially profiled those that they were different from.

And we’re probably not going to get an apology from them.

If you would rather not compare this fiasco to the Smollet case, fine. I’m not going to get into a side argument on that. But the fact is, there is way too much racial profiling going on with a small subset of the black community and associated ‘woke’ white folks making a lot of something from nothing. At least if this particular unfortunate episode is representative of current social dynamics and trends.

Not healthy.

My guess is that you consider yourself a follower of woke ideology. So I understand why you would want me to delete or ‘cancel’ most of what I’ve said in this thread.

Not gonna happen, bud.

Not going to cancel me. 😉

Regards,
MG
Last edited by MG 2.0 on Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:56 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:14 pm

BYU took the high road.

Regards,
MG
No. She should not. If she did she’s likely to let everyone know she heard a racial slur and you can’t really tell her otherwise. We all should move on.
At this point that’s what we will do, of course.

But it’s unfortunate that this young lady was apparently so preconditioned to hear what her mind told her to hear that she couldn’t NOT hear it.

That’s what is sad.

Overwhelming wokeness in a culture that smothers correct value judgements. People are being herded along like sheep.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:55 pm
... If the church and it’s memebers weren’t so carelessly and frequently tabbing otherwise loving family members as angry, wanting to sin apostates this would fit better coming from someone wishing to defend Mormonism. And that’s not to mention the church’s racism and homophobia etc. It looks pretty hollow though. ...
Yes it does.