University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:52 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:55 pm
... If the church and it’s memebers weren’t so carelessly and frequently tabbing otherwise loving family members as angry, wanting to sin apostates this would fit better coming from someone wishing to defend Mormonism. And that’s not to mention the church’s racism and homophobia etc. It looks pretty hollow though. ...
Yes it does.
From your perspective, it should be noted.

Regards,
MG
toon
CTR B

Re: University of South Carolina Cancels Basketball Games With BYU Over Racial Incident

Post by toon »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:13 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:55 pm

You’re really not helping your cause, mg, by equating this to the smollett case. You fly off the handle convicting her godmother and have decided she made it up. I’d caution again to take it down a notch or five. Linking a terrible foxnews piece about the unfortunate event here is missing the whole boat. You still don’t know what happened.

This line as much as any you’ve typed here deserves a reminder to look in the mirror. If the church and it’s memebers weren’t so carelessly and frequently tabbing otherwise loving family members as angry, wanting to sin apostates this would fit better coming from someone wishing to defend Mormonism. And that’s not to mention the church’s racism and homophobia etc. It looks pretty hollow though.

This post only got worse. You should just delete that nonsense if you ask me
I didn’t and I won’t. I continue to stand by everything I’ve said in this thread in regards to the DUKE racial profiling saga. That’s what it was, but not the way woke folks would have it. The racial profiling was done at BYU’s expense and towards the unfortunate individual that was accused of racist actions.

DUKE, South Carolina, ESPN, Rachel’s godmother, and many media outlets are racists in the sense that they prejudged and racially profiled those that they were different from.

And we’re probably not going to get an apology from them.

If you would rather not compare this fiasco to the Smollet case, fine. I’m not going to get into a side argument on that. But the fact is, there is way too much racial profiling going on with a small subset of the black community and associated ‘woke’ white folks making a lot of something from nothing. At least if this particular unfortunate episode is representative of current social dynamics and trends.

Not healthy.

My guess is that you consider yourself a follower of woke ideology. So I understand why you would want me to delete or ‘cancel’ most of what I’ve said in this thread.

Not gonna happen, bud.

Not going to cancel me. 😉

Regards,
MG
My guess is that anyone who’s read those two books respectively by McWhorter and Murray and found then influential is probably not a follower of “woke” ideology, whatever you even mean by it.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

toon wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:54 am

My guess is that anyone who’s read those two books respectively by McWhorter and Murray and found then influential is probably not a follower of “woke” ideology, whatever you even mean by it.
Yeah...I don't know what he means by it, or if he's getting what other people are saying, when they try to talk to him. Kinda frustrating, but it's also a bit adorable in a sense. Watching him fly off the handle in a sense, saying things as if he's being reasonable and as if people will in part agree with him because he sees a signal of possible agreement is funny to watch. It also makes movements like woke theology or ideology appear useful. I mean they're correct, people are out there saying and doing these things. To me it's a question of, ok, but is it really useful to treat these odd outliers as mainstream and powerful enough we ought to tear it all down? I don't think that's the way forward.

MG:
MG wrote:My guess is that you consider yourself a follower of woke ideology. So I understand why you would want me to delete or ‘cancel’ most of what I’ve said in this thread.
No. Don't be silly. I want you to rethink what you said, hoping in so doing, you realize how foolish it is and you delete it. If you really feel as you expressed, then that's great. Leave it. Its foolish enough to make my points, as I see it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:
DUKE, South Carolina, ESPN, Rachel’s godmother, and many media outlets are racists in the sense that they prejudged and racially profiled those that they were different from.

Do you think the Church should apologise for the Priesthood Ban?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:14 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

One incident of modern institutions rushing to take an athlete at her word (which may have been given in good faith, even if nothing racist was said), and MG calls for rounds of apologies.

One hundred fifty plus years of systematic Mormon racism falsely blamed on God, and MG labels calls for just a single apology “virtue signaling.”

His moral compass is just as convoluted as his logic.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:

<crickets>
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Interestingly, it appears this hit close to home for DP. I noticed on his blog he has five or six separate blog posts recently where he registered his outrage with regard to the Duke/BYU game. Hit dog holler? I dunno, but this was a fairly unusual behavior for him - will racial animus become a regular feature, like his stomping on Christopher Hitchens’ grave, or his dining reviews which include “good” and “decent” when plumbing his brain to describe the grub he stuffs in his maw? The lady doth protest too much, methinks, but it’d be awesome if the ‘blogging apostle’ would admit the priesthood ban was racist and apologize on behalf of “the church”, since, you know, they won’t.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:

Well do you MG2.0?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

The priesthood ban was racist.

Brigham Young was a creep.

I think that about covers it for me.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:17 am
The priesthood ban was racist.

Brigham Young was a creep.

I think that about covers it for me.
But only when he was acting as creep. AmIrite? 😂😂😂
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.