Ugly Anti-trans Bigotry @ BYU?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Ugly Anti-trans Bigotry @ BYU?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:23 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:12 pm

Unfortunately that is not the case:

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/blo ... let-at-byu

Love does not mean tolerating actions and/or behavior that runs contrary to the teachings and practice of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by the CofJCofLDS. We are to love the ‘sinner’ we are under no compulsion/commandment to condone the sin.

If you read all the way through the FAIR link you will see that there are things that really aren’t conducive to the standards of BYU and the church. The line has to be drawn in the sand. The pamphlet went overboard in regards to advertising:

This is one of the sponsors. They were advertising in the pamphlet that freshman BYU students were originally set to receive before it was yanked at the last minute.

Kudos to BYU for taking a stand for what they believe is right. That doesn’t in any way negate our responsibility to show love…rather than hate…towards those folks that are promoting transgender lifestyles.

This is going off topic a bit so this is all I’m going to say on this thread having to do with the post you made.

Regards,
MG
I didn’t want to continue MG’s derail, but wow.

Wow.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Ugly Anti-trans Bigotry @ BYU?

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG, were you happy the church drew its race based line in the sand before 1978? I was a100% believing member at that time, but I was never happy that black folks were excused from the priesthood and temple participation.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:36 pm
MG, were you happy the church drew its race based line in the sand before 1978?
No.

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Daniel "C is for Cisgender" Peterson linked it on his blog yesterday with this praise:
DP wrote:Wow. This article, written by the forthright and courageous Cassandra Hedelius, is both extremely important and extremely concerning:
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

The bottom line is that if a person is LGBQ and/or T, they are a lesser person at BYU and in the church. The church teaches members to “love” you, but that love is - by their own analogies - like loving someone who drinks coffee or is a compulsive gambler. The salient identity is not recognized, does not exist except as a gateway to sin. Therefore a key part of the individual’s identity does not exist to TBM Mormons who swallow the “loving-bigotry” narrative.

This isn’t about sin, though LDS leaders insist on propagating the sin narrative.

This is about resisting a more effective understanding of gender identity. A topic about which there is now a substantive body of scientific research.

Christian right and LDS agree on fighting this war, along with Russia and Iran, but it’s not one they will win long term. Any more than they can win a race war. They’re just wrong.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

drumdude wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:01 pm
Daniel "C is for Cisgender" Peterson linked it on his blog yesterday with this praise:
DP wrote:Wow. This article, written by the forthright and courageous Cassandra Hedelius, is both extremely important and extremely concerning:
It looks like the effort to overturn Gay marriage is well on its way, and DCP is pushing for it.

Speaking of boobs. Why is cosmetic surgery to change one’s appearance, to include genitalia (labiaplasty, butthole bleaching, dong straightening, etc.) cool with Mormons, but a trans surgery isn’t? If you’re not happy with what God gave you, why don’t Trans people get similar consideration?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

John Cleese 1987 wrote:What we never hear about extremism is its advantages. The biggest advantage of extremism is that it makes you feel good because it provides you with enemies.

Let me explain. The great thing about having enemies is that you can pretend that all the badness in the whole world is in your enemies and all the goodness in the whole world is in you. Attractive isn't it?

So if you have a lot of anger and resentment in you anyway and you therefore enjoy abusing people then you can pretend that you're only doing it because these enemies of yours are such very bad persons. And that if it wasn't for them you'd actually be good-natured and courteous and rational all the time. So if you want to feel good become an extremist.

Once you're armed with one of these super lists of enemies you can be as nasty as you like and yet feel your behaviors morally justified. So you can strut around using people and telling them you could eat them for breakfast and still think of yourself as a champion of the truth, a fighter for the greater good are not the rather sad paranoid schizoid that you really are.
Mormons don't realize that being anti-LGBT isn't part of a huge culture war anymore. The war is long over, and they're still defending an isolated island in the Pacific - unaware that the surrender was offered years ago.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

An ironic comment from Don Ormsby on Big D’s blog:
I can understand the need to love and accept all of God's children, in spite of their predispositions. However, I cannot understand the naïvété and assumptions on the relevance of the material in question. BYU must pay attention to what students, placed in positions of responsibility, are actually doing. Where were the faculty advisors? Were there any? If so, it was a matter of gross negligence.
How many children were raped at that drag show? Because the Mormon church has a very serious rapist problem on its hands. For example:
Former LDS Church primary teacher sentenced to jail time, probation for child sex abuse during sleepover
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/09/02/ ... h-primary/

Sean Sund, a single 45-year-old was allowed to teach Primary and have Primary SLEEPOVERS at his house, where he ended up victimizing an 8-year-old girl.

Repeatedly.

Mormons are worried about Gay clowns dancing to ABBA in the presence of adults, but can’t seem to figure out how to stop their priesthood holders from ******* children.

- Doc
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:59 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:36 pm
MG, were you happy the church drew its race based line in the sand before 1978?
No.

Regards,
MG
Thanks. Neither was I.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:12 pm
John Cleese 1987 wrote:What we never hear about extremism is its advantages. The biggest advantage of extremism is that it makes you feel good because it provides you with enemies.

Let me explain. The great thing about having enemies is that you can pretend that all the badness in the whole world is in your enemies and all the goodness in the whole world is in you. Attractive isn't it?

So if you have a lot of anger and resentment in you anyway and you therefore enjoy abusing people then you can pretend that you're only doing it because these enemies of yours are such very bad persons. And that if it wasn't for them you'd actually be good-natured and courteous and rational all the time. So if you want to feel good become an extremist.

Once you're armed with one of these super lists of enemies you can be as nasty as you like and yet feel your behaviors morally justified. So you can strut around using people and telling them you could eat them for breakfast and still think of yourself as a champion of the truth, a fighter for the greater good are not the rather sad paranoid schizoid that you really are.
Mormons don't realize that being anti-LGBT isn't part of a huge culture war anymore. The war is long over, and they're still defending an isolated island in the Pacific - unaware that the surrender was offered years ago.
I’m not so sure about that, especially the T part. There is some really ugly anti-Trans propaganda being pushed out there. And check out Texas law on medical treatment.

Like Dr. Moore, I’m pretty confident that the anti-trans culture warriors will eventually be the losers, but I don’t think we’re close to that yet.
he/him