100 Protesters Yelled Slurs At Gay BYU Students Who Return To School.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

100 Protesters Yelled Slurs At Gay BYU Students Who Return To School.

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

As if things couldn’t get worse for BYU’s reputation:
Provo • protesters yelled “pedophile” and “groomer” and pushed signs quoting the Book of Mormon toward their faces.

“You’re going against God,” one man spat. Another told them to “stop protecting the homos” at Brigham Young University.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... rotesters/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: 100 Protesters Yelled Slurs At Gay BYU Students Who Return To School.

Post by Dr Moore »

This is what you get when senior apostles speak out of both sides of their mouths.

Brothers fighting brothers.

Both justified by the words of said apostles.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:49 pm
Provo • protesters yelled “pedophile” and “groomer” and pushed signs quoting the Book of Mormon toward their faces.

“You’re going against God,” one man spat. Another told them to “stop protecting the homos” at Brigham Young University.
Would you mind c&p’ing the article?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doc,

Here is another link if the SLTrib link isn’t working:

https://www.kiwaniswest.org/news/curren ... 22-53.html
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:45 pm
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:49 pm

Would you mind c&p’ing the article?

- Doc
SL Tribune: RaYnbow Collective's show must go on! Despite 100 anti-LGBTQ+ protesters yelling slurs, saying the park should not be for everyone—some carrying handguns—300 attendees enjoyed the performance intended to welcome new BYU students.
[...] But several conservative groups vowed to show up to object, saying it was inappropriate for children and they had to defend their town. Some BYU students were among the protesters.
“This shouldn’t be at a public park,” said Thomas Stevenson, a BYU senior and the co-founder of the BYU Conservatives club, which has no restrictions for meeting on campus. He described the event as a “social contagion.”
Protesting BYU students wore blue BYU T-shirts and baseball hats, in contrast to their classmates wearing rainbow gear on the other side of the angels. Some protesters openly carried handguns on their hips as they waved American flags and chanted, “Christ is king” and “Stop grooming our children.”
[...] Carolyn Gassert, the president of Understanding Sexuality, Gender, and Allyship, or USGA, a group for LGBTQ BYU students, said most of the queer students at BYU are used to the vitriol.
“This is the kind of stuff we have to deal with here,” she said. “It’s not just tonight. We hear these comments in the classroom.”
Logan Bushman, who graduated from BYU in the spring as an openly gay student, pulled together the angel costumes. Building them, he said, was a way for him to protest BYU’s change to its Honor Code in March 2020, an episode that left some gay students feeling gaslighted.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:56 pm
Doc,

Here is another link if the SLTrib link isn’t working:

https://www.kiwaniswest.org/news/curren ... 22-53.html
Thanks for that! Quick question, how many children were raped by drag queens at this event? Because for all the shouts of sexualizing children and “grooming” them, it seems the Mormons ought to clean up their damned glass house before they start throwing stones. Also, not gonna lie, I admire the artistry and creativity of the Queer community. Has anyone been in a soulless baby-vomit-smelling Mormon building lately? Not even a contest. I’d rather hang out with tHe GaYz than a bunch of cultists larping at business.

eta: remember this is the same “church” that taught this about black people:
"From the days of the Prophet Joseph even until now, it has been the doctrine of the Church, never questioned by any of the Church leaders, that the Negroes are not entitled to the full blessings of the Gospel."
And Holland is telling these yahoos to go get their muskets. -_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Mormons are such nice people when they're not gay bashing...
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

From r/exmo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9qPT9GK0bg

Video of the event with the ‘angels’.

- Doc
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

“This shouldn’t be at a public park,” said Thomas Stevenson, a BYU senior and the co-founder of the informal BYU Conservatives group, which has no restrictions for meeting on campus. He described a “social contagion with gender dysphoria” which is why they were protesting kids being at the show.

Protesting BYU students wore blue BYU T-shirts and baseball hats, in contrast to their classmates wearing rainbow gear on the other side of the angels. Some protesters openly carried handguns on their hips as they waved American flags and chanted, “Christ is king” and “Stop grooming our children.”
Well Holland idiotically did encourage these morons to pick up their muskets. The phrase “Stop grooming our children” is highly ironic given the almost weekly news stories about bishops and primary teachers actually grooming their children.

It’s time for BYU to be fully ostracised from the rest of academia, sport and general society, unless or until they deal with the systemic problems of racism and homophobia etc. External action is the only thing that will change BYU. They won’t do the right thing under their own volition.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Just be glad those protesters only yelled instead of taking Elder Holland literally and firing their muskets. As long as the LDS Church continues its war against the LGBTQ community, there can be no good outcome when these groups meet. LDS hatred will continue to erupt, but hopefully not into violence.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace