Is BYU’s Office of Belonging fit for purpose?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Is BYU’s Office of Belonging fit for purpose?

Post by IHAQ »

In a period when BYU is in the headlights for numerous negative reasons, the Office of Belonging adds fuel to the fire…
Brigham Young University removed pamphlets with off-campus resources for LGBTQ students from welcome bags for incoming freshmen late last month.
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-new ... -rcna46194
Tenney, who is gay, said she wanted to create the pamphlets because she remembers the loneliness she felt as a freshman at the university, which is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Students at the university, in Provo, Utah, about 45 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, are restricted by university rules from dating or showing signs of affection toward members of the same sex. Violating the rules puts students at risk of being unenrolled.

“I remember sitting in my white dorm room with these cement walls and breaking down,” Tenney said. “I didn’t know anyone who was like me, who wanted to be faithful and embrace the fullness of themselves.”

She recalled seeing a lip balm tube, an item that was in her freshman bag, and thinking she could have used so much more than lip balm to get through that time in her life.

RaYnbow Collective worked with BYU's student newspaper, The Daily Universe, which puts together the welcome bags, to submit the pamphlets. Tenney said she paid the $200 fee, signed a contract with The Daily Universe and dropped off 5,000 pamphlets on Aug. 12. The pamphlets, she said, were “very vanilla, very in line with church teachings.”

“We tried really hard to make sure it was kosher and in line with policy,” she said, adding that the pamphlets were created in collaboration with other LGBTQ organizations in the area. “We didn’t hear anything back besides, 'It looks great.'”
However…
…on Aug. 23, Tenney got an Instagram message from a friend, who is also a resident assistant, telling her that she had been told to go to every room where the welcome bags were placed and pull out the RaYnbow Collective pamphlets, Tenney said.

Tenney said that after she reached out to various departments at BYU to find out who was giving the direction to remove the bags, the Office of Student Life that it made the decision to remove them because they went against the church.

Asked by TODAY.com why the pamphlets were removed, BYU said in an emailed statement Friday that it "would like our students and employees to utilize our new Office of Belonging as their primary resource in these efforts."

"The decision to remove the materials by Student Life was based on the university’s commitment to provide support through the Office of Belonging and our counseling services and not to allow outside entities to imply affiliation with or endorsement from the university," the statement continued.

BYU announced the Office of Belonging in August 2021, saying it would “focus primarily on coordinating and enhancing belonging services and efforts on campus.” But the office did not have a physical location until Monday, Tenney said.

“It’s hard to say what they’ll do," she said of the new office.
So BYU didn’t have the courtesy to inform Tenney in a professional manner of their decision. Did they return the pamphlets to Tenney, or have they just chucked all that work away? Have they reimbursed the $200?

Then TODAY.com points out the following…
BYU did not respond to a question about what resources the Office of Belonging provides for LGBTQ students.
Because they don’t have any resources, or they know what resources they are going to offer are a laughing stock.
The announcement of the new office came the same week church leader Jeffrey R. Holland spoke at the Utah campus about defending the doctrine of the family and marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

Tenney said since the speech, she has received numerous violent threats and had to pull her contact information from BYU’s directory. She said that while she is hopeful the new Office of Belonging provide support for marginalized students, such support has yet to be seen.
Is BYU’s Office of Belonging fit for purpose? Well, they’ve failed to handle this first task with any kind of competency, nor thoughtfulness, nor any modicum of professionalism.
huckelberry
God

Re: Is BYU’s Office of Belonging fit for purpose?

Post by huckelberry »

I may be getting old enough to be not completely grasping current social nuances. I cannot fathom why a person who wished to acknowledge their own lgbtq identity would wish to go to BYU. The United States has a good number of universities where they would be accepted. At BYU they are fundamentally on the out, same sex affection is against the rules. I imagine a person would constantly feel like they were only a few steps away from being sentenced to reprogramming.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:10 am
I may be getting old enough to be not completely grasping current social nuances. I cannot fathom why a person who wished to acknowledge their own lgbtq identity would wish to go to BYU. The United States has a good number of universities where they would be accepted. At BYU they are fundamentally on the out, same sex affection is against the rules. I imagine a person would constantly feel like they were only a few steps away from being sentenced to reprogramming.
I agree that it seems an odd choice for a lgbtq student to choose BYU. Perhaps these students come from social and family groups where they haven’t been able to express their identity and where there is pressure to attend the Church University. Only when they become remote from those social and familial groups, getting their first taste of independence, do they feel able to express their identity. But by then they are enrolled and attending BYU. I don’t know the answer, that’s just my speculation.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Office of Belonging was an Orwellian name created by BYU's Ministry of Truth, which is dedicated to Lying for the Lord.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:05 am
Office of Belonging was an Orwellian name created by BYU's Ministry of Truth, which is dedicated to Lying for the Lord.
Nicely put. Another in a long line of Moksha's eloquent, provocative and efficient posts. No one does it better.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:37 pm
Moksha wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:05 am
Nicely put. Another in a long line of Moksha's eloquent, provocative and efficient posts. No one does it better.
Makes me feel sad for the rest ...
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

June 2020...
BYU has formed a committee to examine issues of race and inequality and to provide recommendations about specific actions BYU can take to address those issues.

The committee was announced in a BYU news release, which stated the committee was requested by BYU President Kevin J Worthen. The committee will meet for this week for the first time.
https://universe.byu.edu/2020/06/17/pre ... ty-at-byu/

August 2021...
President Kevin J Worthen announced today the formation of a new Office of Belonging at Brigham Young University led by a vice-president level official who will be a member of the President’s Council.

The new office will focus on helping campus members achieve the community of belonging outlined in a newly created statement on belonging. The office will focus primarily on coordinating and enhancing belonging services and efforts on campus.

The announcement of the new Office of Belonging follows an in-depth report from BYU’s Committee on Race, Equity and Belonging (CoREB), completed in February.
https://news.byu.edu/announcements/byu- ... -belonging

March 2022
Brigham Young University President Kevin J Worthen, following approval from the BYU Board of Trustees, has announced that Carl Hernandez III will become the university’s first vice president for belonging effective this June.
https://news.byu.edu/announcements/byu- ... -belonging

Committee formed June 2020.
Report was concluded in February 2021.
Worthen announced the new Office Of Belonging in August 2021.
It took a further 10 months to appoint a lead for the Office Of Belonging.

So where are we today, more than 2 years after the committee was set up?
The physical office space for the BYU Office of Belonging is "coming soon" and will be located at 2400 WSC. In the meantime, you can contact the office and schedule an appointment by email at officeofbelonging@byu.edu or
by phone 801-422-9162.
https://belonging.byu.edu/contact-us

BYU still hasn't set up a physical space for the Office Of Belonging in more than 2 years, and cannot articulate a response to the question from media about what resources the office provides for students. Does that look like an institution that's seriously interested in tackling systemic racism, homophobia and other discriminatory problems at BYU?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:49 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:37 pm

Makes me feel sad for the rest ...
And nobody does it better
Though sometimes I wish someone could....
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:34 am

And nobody does it better
Though sometimes I wish someone could....
Yep, me too.