From: Elder Holland Criticises The Extravagant Cost of LDS Temples

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

From: Elder Holland Criticises The Extravagant Cost of LDS Temples

Post by msnobody »

An excerpt from the book I just finished reading:

"Until now, I had no idea that the bondage he was speaking of was encapsulated in a tiny business-sized card that I had carried in my pocket. Prior to being freed in Christ, the Church held me captive by my sin. In order to attain God's forgiveness, I had to keep repenting of my sins to my religious leaders and fulfill whatever they required of me to find penitence. In this way I have been a slave to the Church. Through the liberating truth contained in God's Word, I had now been unshackled and freed from that bondage by Christ's blood. All that held me to this religion, then, was this small piece of paper that I now knew represented by indentured servitude to the Church.
With this understanding, I willingly placed the card in President's hand." Passport to Heaven-- Micah Wilder

This so reminds me of Deuteronomy 7:6-8 but it was because the LORD loves you... that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you

It is amazing the things that have such a stonghold on our lives and we often are not even aware.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Elder Holland criticises the extravagant cost of LDS Temples…

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:28 pm

"Until now, I had no idea that the bondage he was speaking of was encapsulated in a tiny business-sized card that I had carried in my pocket. Prior to being freed in Christ, the Church held me captive by my sin. In order to attain God's forgiveness, I had to keep repenting of my sins to my religious leaders and fulfill whatever they required of me to find penitence. In this way I have been a slave to the Church. Through the liberating truth contained in God's Word, I had now been unshackled and freed from that bondage by Christ's blood. All that held me to this religion, then, was this small piece of paper that I now knew represented by indentured servitude to the Church.
With this understanding, I willingly placed the card in President's hand." Passport to Heaven-- Micah Wilder

This so reminds me of Deuteronomy 7:6-8 but it was because the LORD loves you... that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you

It is amazing the things that have such a stonghold on our lives and we often are not even aware.
Imagine the freedom you’ll have when you realize you don’t need a god to forgive you, either. You’re condemned to be free, as Sartre would say, and you don’t need to keep Jehovah in your pocket to know your own worth or figure out your values.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

I don't understand the blood lust in Christianity. Christ's blood was shed for me? God's ways are not our ways but you would think this needs a little explaining. I am okay with some of the mysterious questions about life but the blood magic has me befuddled.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:44 pm
msnobody wrote:

Imagine the freedom you’ll have when you realize you don’t need a god to forgive you, either. You’re condemned to be free, as Sartre would say, and you don’t need to keep Jehovah in your pocket to know your own worth or figure out your values.

- Doc
He showed me who I was and I didn’t want that. I wanted what I saw in Him. Actually, I do need him to know my worth.
Last edited by msnobody on Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:24 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:44 pm

- Doc
He showed me who I was and I didn’t want that. I wanted what I saw in Him.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: From: Elder Holland Criticises The Extravagant Cost of LDS Temples

Post by Res Ipsa »

Split thread, UR 4.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

msnobody wrote:

So is he stuck serving God or not? He didn't think the Mormon Church was God's church but he's still stuck, shackled to the notion of having to be a slave to God, no? It may feel different to him, but it may be nothing but more of the same.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Ya'll could have left the "Dope" image, I didn't mind, but I understand.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:29 pm
msnobody wrote:

So is he stuck serving God or not? He didn't think the Mormon Church was God's church but he's still stuck, shackled to the notion of having to be a slave to God, no? It may feel different to him, but it may be nothing but more of the same.
If you're near SLC or Joseph UT, you can ask him yourself on 9/11/2022. https://www.adamsroadministry.com/piano ... y-calendar
I'm sure he would say he doesn't consider himself stuck, and not more of the same.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:36 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:29 pm

If you're near SLC or Joseph UT, you can ask him yourself on 9/11/2022. https://www.adamsroadministry.com/piano ... y-calendar
I'm sure he would say he doesn't consider himself stuck, and not more of the same.
Nobody thinks they are in a cult. Nobody thinks they are crazy. Until they are.