Should I write Midgley's biography?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Should I write Midgley's biography?

Post by Gadianton »

I forgot about this part:
I'll be surprised to see anything come of that project
Not sure he has a right to say he'll be surprised if someone else finishes their writing project.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

“Marcus” wrote: Midgley: "Defending the faith requires an enemy...if none exist, by God I will invent them."
Masterful.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:43 am
I forgot about this part:
I'll be surprised to see anything come of that project
Not sure he has a right to say he'll be surprised if someone else finishes their writing project.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Maybe I missed the mark here but I truly didn't expect to ever see a copy of this work in hardcover sitting on a shelf somewhere when I suggested moving forward. Instead what I saw was Shades expressing interest in pursuing a passion project and the particulars of what that would be and how it would like were not at all hashed out. Personally I've written countless things for my eyes only(or the eyes of my closest and most favorite people), the point wasn't to sell copies but instead to exercise my voice, practice writing, entertain myself in a fairly productive and meaningful manner. So I'm not sure I understand the "who would read it comments" and those along that line, Shades will read it and hopefully enjoy the labor.

The point for me was that Shades seems very interested, he seems to be in need of a project, and this is a topic he is very familiar with which makes jumping in significantly easier.

It was this or a Perfume biography :-0

ETA: That isn't to say it won't morph into something else either. It might turn into a published work, or he might find a more engaging topic along the way. My point is just: start the journey, sort the rest out along the way.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:24 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:18 pm
I have met Midgley. Twice. And what makes you think I wouldn’t solicit an interview with Daniel Peterson regarding him?
What makes me think that? Your role in hosting this board that obsesses over him makes me think that.
In that case, let's allow a picture to say a thousand words:

drumdude wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:24 am
DCP wrote:I'll be surprised to see anything come of that project. And I'm not optimistic, even if something does, about what he's likely to produce.

Unless Shades rises high above the level of discourse and the standards of fairness that characterize the denizens of his board -- for which your suggested chapter title will serve as a (relatively mild) illustration -- any "biography" that he produced would be likely to be an unbalanced and uninteresting hatchet job.

By the way, please try to stop bringing the content of the Peterson/Midgley Obsession Board over here. Sufficient unto that place are the evils thereof.
I find it odd to see the proprieter of SeN and Interpreter complaining about balance. Dan, how's that beam in your own eye?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, drumdude, please post a link to that conversation so I can read it!!
Binger wrote:There is your answer, Shades. Right there. You are being encouraged by a bunch of people that think your subject is comparable to Hitler.
No, nobody compared Midgley to Hitler. Gadianton was merely using absurdity to illustrate absurdity. To wit, why should it be impossible to write an effective biography about a figure whom the general public finds distasteful? For example, Fawn Brodie wasn't a believer in Mormonism, so should she have refrained from writing the first biography of Joseph Smith?
Xenophon wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:47 pm
That's actually not a bad idea at all. Especially if it involves me sitting in the same room with them. . .
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:27 pm
Xenophon wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:47 pm
That's actually not a bad idea at all. Especially if it involves me sitting in the same room with them. . .
Don't let your dreams be only dreams, my friend. :D
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:48 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:

Don't let your dreams be only dreams, my friend. :D
Shades, to give you some motivation, I’ve linked to an important video, below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Binger wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:24 pm
What makes me think that? Your role in hosting this board that obsesses over him makes me think that.
In that case, let's allow a picture to say a thousand words:

Binger wrote:There is your answer, Shades. Right there. You are being encouraged by a bunch of people that think your subject is comparable to Hitler.
No, nobody compared Midgley to Hitler. Gadianton was merely using absurdity to illustrate absurdity. To wit, why should it be impossible to write an effective biography about a figure whom the general public finds distasteful? For example, Fawn Brodie wasn't a believer in Mormonism, so should she have refrained from writing the first biography of Joseph Smith?
You have a picture of Daniel that was taken at an event. And, there is also a quote from Daniel that is more contemporary that could be paraphrased to say, "Shades can shove it up his ass and fail."

Midgley was compared to Hitler by Gadianton. Godwin's Law is real. It is particularly real here. And now, we have an equally absurd comparison to Joseph Smith. These comparisons are ridiculous. Hitler is dead. Brodie Fawn wrote a biography about Smith long after he was dead. She was hardly a "disbeliever" in Mormonism. Such a label of her or for her is absurd. She was a pioneer in her profession as a writer, in her profession as a teacher, and in her profession as a biographer. If anything, she was one of the most ardent believers in Mormonism to the point that she would risk her reputation to write an accurate history of Smith and the foundation of Mormonism. Calling her a disbeliever in Mormonism would be like calling Shulem (Osborn) a disbeliever in Egyptian. I would call Brodie one of the early experts in Mormonism and Shulem one of the premier experts in the Egyptian artifacts that were used, albeit allegedly and albeit tangentially and albeit incorrectly, in early Mormon canon.

There is a massive difference between being a biographer or historian compared to randomly writing about people who were public and historical figures that you can't do original research about. What you are describing is not a biography at all, and Daniel Peterson has clarified that apparently. You are describing an unauthorized biography of a living person who is barely barely barely a public figure outside of this obsession board. Frankly, he is about as much of a public figure as the vice president at Wells Fargo and you are considering writing an unauthorized biography of him. Drop it like it's hot.

Hey man, I don't care what you choose to do. You opened this forum up with a question, and I answered it. You can certainly disagree and your moderator can certainly make comments on here about me, again. You asked, I answered.
Last edited by canpakes on Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:13 pm
Midgley was compared to Hitler by Gadianton.
Still nope. Didn't happen.

But if you insist on manufacturing another pet faux rage episode, I’ll set up a thread for you outside of this one, for your theatrics.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:19 pm
Binger wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:13 pm
Midgley was compared to Hitler by Gadianton.
Still nope. Didn't happen.

But if you insist on manufacturing another pet faux rage episode, I’ll set up a thread for you outside of this one, for your theatrics.
As you wish.